Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here is the deal. Everything is working fine on the HUD except may be the oil level indicator. I recently changed my oil to AMSOIL 0W30 and it took 7 quarts with the new amsoil filter. Right after i checked the oil level with the dip stick and it was all the way to full i turned the car on and it shows the oil level at 4 tabs and then when i drive it fluctuates between 3 and 4 tabs now what could be the problem is the 0w30 messing me up? or what else could be wrong?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's oil pressure and not the amount of oil in the car. :guiness:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
case2307 said:
I'm pretty sure that's oil pressure and not the amount of oil in the car. :guiness:
That's correct, it's oil pressure :cheers:

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is the oil pressure and there is a corresponding increase (more bars displayed) to the increase in engine rpm.

Kurt

·
10,998 Posts
In the summer time with the high heat I would use a 10w30 instead of thinner viscosity 0W30. Normal of course is 5w30.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know i had the 0W30 in my garage for about 4 months now :) so it would have gotten in the winter i just never got around to it. I might chnage my oil again soon to 5w30.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Colin Frolick said:
why would you use 0w30?
The first # has nothing to do with the viscosity of the oil. 0W30, 5 W 30 or 10 W 30 are all 30 weight oil's at I think 212 Deg F . At colder temps it will be thicker. The first # is a reference to it's ability to flow at winter temps. Think about it a minute can you name one fluid that gets thiner as it gets colder, I can't. Personally I use AMSOIL 0W30 all the time and it gets hot in N.Y. during the summer ( 98 + Deg ) not Florida but hot
Bob :cheers:
EDIT read the response by SUBDRIVER he gives some numbers that tell the story
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79736&page=1&pp=15

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Colin Frolick said:
why would you use 0w30?
As OLDGUY indicated, it is a common misunderstanding that 0w30 is a "thinner" oil by the fact that it is a 0w vice a 5w or a 10w. That is far from the truth.

0w is actually the same rating as 5w, but with a lower pour point which is good for startup during winter use.

To really get a feel for the "thickness" of the oil, the 30 weight rating is more important. But it is not as simple as that. 30 weight is a band, not a digital rating. The band is a viscosity at an oil temp of 212F of 9.30-12.49 cSt.

Mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 comes in with a 212F viscosity of 10 according to the Mobil 1 product data sheet.

AMSOIL 0w30, is about 12% "thicker" coming in at a 212F viscosity of 11.2.

So if you really want a "heavier" oil, you need to look beyond the oils weight classification, but look at the manufacturers product data sheet and see where in the 30 weight band it falls.

To see an example, skim down to the bottom of this page of my website:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30

For those interested, AMSOIL's main synthetic, the SAE 5w30, is an even heavier 30 weight, coming in with a 212F viscosity of 11.6:
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30

Today, I just received a used oil analysis report from a customer running the AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 in his 99 C5 with LS1 and the results were extremely good at about 25-50% of the universal averages for the LS1 for that lab (Blackstone) for the various wear metals (copper, aluminum, iron, lead). :cheers:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
MrKool said:
well here is the deal. Everything is working fine on the HUD except may be the oil level indicator. I recently changed my oil to AMSOIL 0W30 and it took 7 quarts with the new amsoil filter. Right after i checked the oil level with the dip stick and it was all the way to full i turned the car on and it shows the oil level at 4 tabs and then when i drive it fluctuates between 3 and 4 tabs now what could be the problem is the 0w30 messing me up? or what else could be wrong?
As mentioned above, those bars are an oil pressure bar roughly equating to 10# per block. As idle oil pressure runs about 36-39 psi, fluctuating between 3 and 4 blocks is perfectly normal.

Though I look at my oil press, oil temp and temp, several times a lap, I look at the oil pressure bar on the hud more frequently than that as a quick safety check during corners. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts