Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this yesterday and it dissapeared for some reason?
Anyways, at many drag strips a car can't be faster then 12s without a three point roll bar and a harness. Are car makers redefining safety? I know Vettes aren't average but they aren't amuned to this rule at tracks!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It's pure BS in my opinion. I get kicked out for running mid 11's @ 121 yet there are turbo busa's running over 160mph with nothing more required than a cheap helmet. :eek:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
DJWorm said:
NHRA has dropped the requirement to 11.5 sec ET
Yup they sure have. We race the Corvette Challenge here in South Florida and we are fine in any year Corvette as quick as 11.50 before a rollbar becomes mandatory. :D
Bob

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Isn't this harness and rollcage requirement for cars that are NOT stock and run under 11.5?

As in - if your V12 Scallion Frosterlabotomy SF560 ZZE can run 10.5s in stock form, it does not require harnesses and rollcage?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Interesting article. Great for a stock or lightly modified C6Z. However, even a lightly modified C5Z with DOT drag tires may be under 11.5.

And a C6Z with drag tires will be under it. Maybe way under it.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
doesn't feel too dangerous to me...

·
Registered
109 Posts
safety first

This may irritate some forum members, but I just have to say it Seat belts & laws requiring them came in 1962. This is good for everyone; that's a no brainer. If a driver at a quarter mile drag strip turning 10.5 to 11 seconds in a straight line quarter mile is required to have the harness, this is overkill. I am not talking about driving dragsters, funny cars, prostock, etc. If a driver of a grocery getter feels that he needs this safety equipment for the quarter mile, I think he should practice a little more on a backroad blacktop before he thinks about going to the strip IMO.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
sturgeon90293 said:
This may irritate some forum members, but I just have to say it Seat belts & laws requiring them came in 1962. This is good for everyone; that's a no brainer. If a driver at a quarter mile drag strip turning 10.5 to 11 seconds in a straight line quarter mile is required to have the harness, this is overkill. I am not talking about driving dragsters, funny cars, prostock, etc. If a driver of a grocery getter feels that he needs this safety equipment for the quarter mile, I think he should practice a little more on a backroad blacktop before he thinks about going to the strip IMO.
Parts break, tires blow, drivers make errors. I race on a regular basis, my car is not fast enough to require a rollbar, 5 point harness, or fire gear. However my car is equipt(sp) with these devices because it gives me and my family some piece of mind that I may return home in the event of a wreck. Am I a pro? No.. Am I a good drag racer? Yes I think so. I am not only concerned with what I do on the track I am also concerned with what my opponent may do. I am more comfortable in my car with the safety decisions I have made. :cheers:

·
Registered
86 Posts
What he said! :thumb: IMO haha

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I would have to agree with 16Again.. You never know what the car next to you will do.. Things happen.. Seen it happen.

But with the new NHRA rule, it's a nice change.. The whole thing is keeping the racing off the street. It's a damn if you do or damn if you don't.

Just be safe.

Ernie

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
16Again said:
Parts break, tires blow, drivers make errors. I race on a regular basis, my car is not fast enough to require a rollbar, 5 point harness, or fire gear. However my car is equipt(sp) with these devices because it gives me and my family some piece of mind that I may return home in the event of a wreck. Am I a pro? No.. Am I a good drag racer? Yes I think so. I am not only concerned with what I do on the track I am also concerned with what my opponent may do. I am more comfortable in my car with the safety decisions I have made. :cheers:
I agree :yeadog: Even though our 5 point was installed prior to rule change... I do feel safer esp. when I got lined up against a dragster the other day... I sat at the green light also for a bit... Because I wanted him gone :D

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
16Again said:
So that means a stock OEM car running 11.49 or quicker would need extra safety equipment?

Seems odd that the NHRA deem a car that quick safety deficient, yet the DOT sees no problem letting such cars on the public roads.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I think the rule is great. 11.50 is a good number. Our cars handle very well but do at times get squirly on the 1/4 mile track especially when you start making the power to go low 11's and 10's. Imagine some of the other vehichles out there that are suped up beyond their capabilities. I feel much safer with the bar and harness. Great point about the cars in the other lanes as well. Probably less than 1% of cars at the track will approach 11.50 in stock condition. I don't think this will effect many people and who it does effect need the safety equipment. I've lost control at least 5x on the 1/4 mile track in which I had to steer out of it to save my ass and that's with only 400rwhp.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
RC45 said:
So that means a stock OEM car running 11.49 or quicker would need extra safety equipment?

Seems odd that the NHRA deem a car that quick safety deficient, yet the DOT sees no problem letting such cars on the public roads.

I think we're missing the point here.
First off, There are not many cars despite what people think that will run 11.49 near stock.
Secondly, Driving on the strip is completely different than on the street. Hopefully people out there on the street on showing some restraint. Shifting at redline thru every gear and not lifting off the gas is often how its done at the strip.
And don't forget the guy in the other lane at the drag strip who runs high sevens and is spewing nitrous at the line. You can bet your glad to have your safety equipment then.
The most dangerous thing is the DRIVER, not the car. Yes, some cars are a handlful if pushed to their limits in stock form(not many) but its the control and restraint of the driver that makes all the difference. On the drag strip you go all out, no holding back. Let's hope people aren't doing this on the street often.

·
Registered
129 Posts
KCMAGS said:
It's pure BS in my opinion. I get kicked out for running mid 11's @ 121 yet there are turbo busa's running over 160mph with nothing more required than a cheap helmet. :eek:
Bike guys don't have to wear leathers, boots, etc?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts