Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Grand Sport Division requires fireproof underwear. In an effort to save a few bucks, Dawn made her own out of one of my old Nomex flight suits.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
The Grand Sport Division requires fireproof underwear. In an effort to save a few bucks, Dawn made her own out of one of my old Nomex flight suits.
They check your underwear?

Nice touch with the checkerboard pattern! :rofl:

·
9,755 Posts
Good luck Tom!

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
2 helmet bags, race gear, radios, cameras, detailing supplies, clothes for 5 days including firesuits & shoes and, Oh yeah, the booze bag and a cooler.

We leave @ 7AM and will have lunch in Sonora, Fuel in Ozuna and register in Sanderson by 2:30. Check-in after 3, meet the LSCC Road Race Team for Happy Hour @ 7.

Tech inspection Thur AM, a couple of practice runs, C of C welcome party in Sanderson that evening followed by a Racer Reunion party in Fort Stockton.

Safety meeting Friday followed by a car show and parade.

Gonna be a tired puppy by race day. With any luck, I'll post a YouTube video of the run. 118 miles in 54 min, 27.7 sec! Death Race 2012 can KMA.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
We went thru tech inspection this morning with no problems.

They look at everything. Tires, helmets, firesuits, harnesses, etc.

They punched our ticket and we're good to go fast.

We also made a couple of practice runs at the posted speed limit of 75. I was quite pleased with the results. 697/1000ths of a second off of a perfect 1 hr 34 min 24 sec for 118 miles.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Cool deal Tom. Best of luck!

·
9,755 Posts
Go get 'em Tom!

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The event is over. We made the 118 miles in 54 min. 24.775 sec (130.116MPH avg) by our calculations. Probably not good enough for a trophy, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. Busted the time trap at 162 on the southbound leg.:eek2:

The car ran effortlessly and it still amazes me how it pulls like a freight train from 140 up. Chebby got this one right. :gjob:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
It's all about having a fun time and it sounds like you both had one. :gjob:

I guess we can dream about going 160+ mph legally on a public highway here in the U.S.A. (not some deserted road in Mexico :lol:)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
****Update****

Finally got the official results. We ended up 5th of 16 cars in our class with a time that was 1.57 sec off of perfect. We averaged 130.062 MPH.

I'm downloading a 10 min video to Photobucket and will post it as soon as it's done.

·
21,348 Posts
****Update****

Finally got the official results. We ended up 5th of 16 cars in our class with a time that was 1.57 sec off of perfect. We averaged 130.062 MPH.

I'm downloading a 10 min video to Photobucket and will post it as soon as it's done.
Congrats Tom! Hard to believe being off by 1.57 seconds only netted you a fifth place. I guess you need to be spot on. Doesn't sound easy to do.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts