Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a proven technique for putting your Vette up with jack stands on all 4 corners?

Since the jack points are on the side (only?) what is a safe way to get it off of the ground without a lifr?

Thanks in advance,

Rodney

·
Registered
496 Posts
The way I've done it for 3 years is to lift the car from the center in the front and rear.

Specifically, you must jack the front first. If you do the back first, the front will be too low to get the jack under. Place the jack so that it spans the front crossmember in front of the oil pan. Make sure not to jack any part of the oil pan as it's aluminum and can't take it. Once the car is up, place the jackstands in the proper place and lower the front.

Do the same at the rear, being sure to span the entire crossmember with the jack.

It's really pretty easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine getting a jack under the front of the car even if it is sitting level.

Did you put a lift kit on your car? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sure my floor jack won't fit under the plastic bump guard.

·
Registered
496 Posts

On 2001-08-08 16:15, Rod279 spewed forth this drivel:
I can't imagine getting a jack under the front of the car even if it is sitting level.

Did you put a lift kit on your car? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sure my floor jack won't fit under the plastic bump guard.

Actually, I've lowered my car. You have to get a very low jack. I bought mine at Sears.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Drive the car up on some 2x6's to get a little more clearance for the jack. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Do what I do. Start by lifting the back up about 6" off the ground. Shove a pad under the wheels (I use some nailed together 2x6s). Then, lift the front on one side from the front jacking point, and slide a pad under that front wheel. Then go around to the other side, and do the same.

Then you can get a jack under the front cross member easy.

Don't worry about twisting the chassis, its stiff enough that it doesn't flex at all.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rod,

I use Rhino Ramps in front. Then jack rear to level and use jack stands on rear only.

Hib, very nice tech articles.

Piece of cake /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts