Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i were to buy a low-profile "racing" jack, how low do i need it to be to able to get under the car? is 3.5" minimum height low enough? and i'm assuming that doesn't include any additional height that the jacking pucks will add. I wasn't in the market for a jack, but costco has them for under $100 which seems like a good deal to me. (btw- it's a 3.5 ton jack, i forget the brand)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes Put a jacking puck in and a 3 1/2 inch aluminum racing jack will fit right under the puck as long as you havent lowered the car from factory. Happy Pumping! :D

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
With my car lowered, a 3.5" jack just barely fits under the siderails without room for a puck.

While you probably can't go wrong with a $100 jack, I have had problems with one of my low cost Harbor Freight jacks which has internal leakage issues. The other one, which is older, works great.

Next time, I'll probably buy the one from Sears which is about $175. :cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not to offend anyone but, it may be best to actually measure your cars clearance at all 4 jacking points and use that info. Tire size and lowering can affect your ride height. Being just 1/4" lower than others may still mean the jack doesn't fit. Also, consider pulling the car up on to some 2"x12" wood planks for more clearance.

And don't trust the statistics sheet on the box. Pull the jack out of the box and measure the height yourself.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
i have the harbor frieght jack.. yes.. most of their stuff is JUNK..
the jack is pretty nice however.. i have used it for a couple years now
and its blue..

LOL

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses... I'll check the brand on saturday when i get back home (i'm on a business trip right now). My Z is stock height by the way, but thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a Big Red low profile alluminum jack at PBs for about $120 and it came with some cool matching jack stands. Works great and looks nice too.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I got the Sears steel and aluminum 1 1/2 ton jack for $120.
Has a roller front and aboutg 3 1/2". It's not the lightest, but it's quality stuff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How about a 2.75 inch low profile jack for about $160?
http://www.toolsusa.com/jacks/index.htm?trackcode=google&cat=Jacks

I've seen similar jacks on other sites for about double the price. If your tire is flat in your garage (like mine was) you'll need a jack like this to work with a puck. There's only about 3 to 3.5 inches clearance when a tire is flat on a stock ride 'vette.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts