Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
looked like a red light to me, but it's a great run...did you drive all the way there on those drag wheels? what does it run on street tires?
steve gunter,
austin, tx

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think Jim needs some Florida air :drunken:

·
9,755 Posts
I remember that pass - very fun to watch! ...another of Jimbo's masterpieces!
Great job on the camera too Dan!

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Perhaps you didn't see the green light go on in both the outside and inside views :screwy:

Mike
mike, you of all people should know what i meant, but suffice to say, i didn't mean that i saw a red light, and in any case, when racing the clock and not an opponent, why take a chance of redlighting your run by launching on the second light--tell me something "huckleberry", did anyone redlight that day? steve gunter
austin, tx

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
mike, you of all people should know what i meant, but suffice to say, i didn't mean that i saw a red light, and in any case, when racing the clock and not an opponent, why take a chance of redlighting your run by launching on the second light--tell me something "huckleberry", did anyone redlight that day? steve gunter
austin, tx
Yea, as a matter of fact there were several 'red lights' that session.

As far as Jimbo's .03 reaction time....I think he was just showing off :lol:

Mike

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Yea, as a matter of fact there were several 'red lights' that session.

As far as Jimbo's .03 reaction time....I think he was just showing off :lol:

Mike
i guess so, but I wonder about reaction time. I went to the dragstrip on a Wednesday and they hand out prizes for different things. Last Wednesday it was for reaction time. The reaction that held for most of the hour was a .006 done by a pro-tourer type, but was beaten by a girl in a slow car (16 secs)at .003, the only girl running, by the way. Is it possible that the tower was having some fun, and is it possible that tracks have some control over your reaction time? Do you know of any way a track can "favor" one car or another? (by the way, nice to chat with you again, I hope you and yours are well)
steve in austin, tx

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
, and in any case, when racing the clock and not an opponent, why take a chance of redlighting your run by launching on the second light--tell me something "huckleberry", did anyone redlight that day? steve gunter
austin, tx
What difference would that make? I could sit at the light all day long but the timers (other than reaction time) start when I take off and stop when I cross the beam at the other end?

The CCW drag pack was put on at the track. Skinny's up front and MT ET Streets on back. No way would the car hook up with street tires.

And btw, I have a video of Jimbo at Pueblo drag strip cutting a perfect light (0.00) so the .03 is no fluke. My bud Jimbo has been doing this since the 60's and is still going strong. :gjob:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Is it possible that the tower was having some fun, and is it possible that tracks have some control over your reaction time? Do you know of any way a track can "favor" one car or another? (by the way, nice to chat with you again, I hope you and yours are well)
steve in austin, tx
Steve, I don't think the mechanism is tower controlled to that degree. There are, in essence, 2 different timers at work here and both are automated.

The first timer measures the time from the green light to breaking the initial sensor beam (reaction time). The second timer measures time, speed, etc from the original sensor beam to different intervals down the track (different beams) with the final beam (1/4 mile marker) automatically generating a ticket that shows both the reaction time info and the trap time/speed info.

If they have any way of manipulating that from the tower, I've never heard of it.

Of course the next step would be getting into a conversation regarding 'shallow staging' (which increases your reaction time but decreases your overall trap time and increases your overall trap speed) vs 'deep staging' (which decreases your reaction time, increases your overall trap time and decreases your overall trap speed).

:lol: :lol:

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Mike is absolutely right about the reaction timer, everything is automated once you break the 1st beam at launch. As far as deep staging goes, I tried playing that game and everytime I did I red lit. As far as timing goes, I just try to leave the line when I see the 3rd amber come on and it works most of the time. Now if I'd just stop granny shifting I might get a mid ten second pass. :screwy:
No way I would do any passes on street tires, it would be a total waste of time and probably pretty dangerous too. The beast will break the tires loose at 70in 3rd gear on the highway, and that can be a bit scary.
Thanks for posting this again Dan,,,,,you do GREAT work! :gjob:

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
thanks for the info guys, knowledge is golden..."stay golden"
steve in austin

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
As far as deep staging goes, I tried playing that game and everytime I did I red lit.
You're not the only one, Jim. Although I have staged a couple of times successfully with a deep stage, it is extremely hard not to red light the pass.

I've probably got 500 to 1000 passes under my belt over the years and I still find it difficult to deep stage successfully (only reason to try is with a very equally matched car in a grudge race situation IMHO).

Steve, no problem amigo. Take care,

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Just so y'all know what I mean about shifting like a granny, this is what I used to shift like BEFORE I started breaking driveline parts one after another.

IIRC, I think I cut a .008 light on this pass. (Car was running H/C LS6 at the time).

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
What would you say power shifting gains in time?

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Do you mean 1/10th per shift? I only have traction for the three to four pwrshft. Is it true that each shift loses .5, compared to auto trans.? What was your best stock c5z time?
Steve in austin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts