Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm still alive. Vortec supercharger on my Z06 is still running flawlessly. I did break a right trans axle at the drags which really sucked. Heated the tires up really well, dumped the clutch at around 3500, had it in traction control and virtually pulled the front wheels off the ground. I've tried zero traction control, just smoked the tires at every gear change. Tried comp mode, still smoked the tires shifting into second.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,813 Posts
Base dyno would of got you a accurate drivetrain loss. Otherwise it mostly BS.
Unless a load bearing chassis dyno is used,
the operator knows what they are doing and weather/elevation/weight is set correctly even it is not accurate and a non load bearing static drum dyno is useless for being close to real world and in most cases the car owner is given bloated performance numbers

Add cars in real world rarely every get to peak funny numbers then those dyno numbers mean nothing and worst have car owners thinking the performance numbers are much higher then they really are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you replace your axle with a C5 Z06 axle? See ours are hallow for weight, but the C5 is solid and holds up much better to abuse. You can even get the replacements at your local auto parts store with lifetime warranties. There not oem spec but there still tough to break. I personally think the axle should be the "fuse" in our cars... it's the cheapest to replace..lol

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Did you replace your axle with a C5 Z06 axle? See ours are hallow for weight, but the C5 is solid and holds up much better to abuse. You can even get the replacements at your local auto parts store with lifetime warranties. There not oem spec but there still tough to break. I personally think the axle should be the "fuse" in our cars... it's the cheapest to replace..lol
Sorry but I have seen a number of C5Z's break their half shaft at the track so I'm not certain just how 'solid' you consider them.

Mike

·
Banned
116 Posts
See ours are hallow for weight, but the C5 is solid and holds up much better to abuse.
This is wrong. Both are a solid axle, nothing is hollow. MOST break at the coupler anyway not the shaft. BUT the shafts are both solid..

Sorry but I have seen a number of C5Z's break their half shaft at the track so I'm not certain just how 'solid' you consider them.

Mike
The C6Z used a Tripod CV coupler, instead of a ball bearing type. The outer walls of the C6Z Tripod CV Coupler are a lot thinner, so they buSt open. The C5Z ball bearing Housing is almost twice as thick as you can see in the pics.

what happens to the C6Z when they fail

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm still alive. Vortec supercharger on my Z06 is still running flawlessly. I did break a right trans axle at the drags which really sucked. Heated the tires up really well, dumped the clutch at around 3500, had it in traction control and virtually pulled the front wheels off the ground. I've tried zero traction control, just smoked the tires at every gear change. Tried comp mode, still smoked the tires shifting into second.
Is anything done to the motor? Or is it still a stock bottom end & heads?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been waiting for the rebuild all summer now the new darton sleeved ls7. It is 100 miles away from my required break in and I've kept it under 4000 rpm.still breaks my new nt05r,s loose in 4th Can't wait to share the super long mod list and Dyno numbers

21 - 32 of 32 Posts