Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Pocono, running the long course. The first 3 things I'll say are:

1) Dr. Ron is as good at roadracing as he is at drag racing. :thumb:

2) Wicked Weasel's H/C package will keep him happy for a long time. :cheers:

3) My Z06 is a better car than I am a driver...but then again, I kind of new that before I even got started. :D

My hat's off to the PDA organization. They are first rate. :thumb: The groups went at at their specified intervals, so there was no wasted time. They provided instructors for those of us in the "green group." (novice) Craig (Ron's instructor) was perfect for Ron's excellent driving ability...he pushed Ron and Ron responded. Not sure of WW's instructor's name, but by the afternoon Bob was hitting 150+ in the back straight. :eek2: My instructor, Joe, was absolutely perfect for me, as he knew my level and spent time focusing on getting my "technicals" down rather than pushing beyond my limited abilities. He gave me encouragement and advised me when I did something that could have been done just a bit better...perfect, from my perspective. BTW, I did hit 145+ at times...pretty fast for me. :yeadog:

All in all, a great day. I'm not quite ready to give up my slicks and skinnies and drag racing, but road racing sure is fun.

Also, thanks to Backlash, Bad Machine, and Chris from ECS for encouraging a few newbies to try something different. :cheers:

Don

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don Benson said:
All in all, a great day. I'm not quite ready to give up my slicks and skinnies and drag racing, but road racing sure is fun.
Don
Uh, oh, did you really just type this? :eek2:

Sounds like it was a blast, I'll make the one in the spring.

Glad you guys had fun :thumb:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Glad you guys could make it. I take it you all cut out early, skipping the last session, since when Bobby and I returned you all were no where to be seen.

The long course is a blast to drive, but to put it in prospective the Glen is much much better. Hopefully we will see you all out there again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks guys for the invite and answering a lot of my newbie questions. Road racing is much more of a blast then the 1/4. Both have their technical side, but in the 1/4 you get once chance to get it right.

With road racing I was able to try different lines lap after lap. At the end of the day I was able to break the 150 barrier (I started the day with 130 mph and I thought that was fast - at 150 those brake signs come up much faster :D ) and I actually found a good line through the infield. Of course I was not able to repeat that line again and again which is why I am not a PRO.

Also I have to say I was working the car too much. Today my butt hurts and so do my legs. My upper body is tired too. Bad Machine explained to me that I was holding myself in because I did not have the 5 point harness. I was going to wait to install it with my next major install at ECS, but I think it would be wise to get it done before the Watkins Glenn run now.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yeah, we were wondering where everybody had gone. :-? Great spending the day with everyone and hope we can refer to Don, Rob and Bob as the "Straightliners with a twist" now.:D Maybe we can all try and make it to the Glen in Oct. If you guys liked Pocono you're gonna love W/G, right Tom/John? :thumb: There you can really work on braking and dowshifting plus its a beautiful area and it should be nice weather that time of year. :z:. Also, we never took our banner shot, so that's another reason. :mah: :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
Wicked Weasel said:
Thanks guys for the invite and answering a lot of my newbie questions. Road racing is much more of a blast then the 1/4. Both have their technical side, but in the 1/4 you get once chance to get it right.

With road racing I was able to try different lines lap after lap. At the end of the day I was able to break the 150 barrier (I started the day with 130 mph and I thought that was fast - at 150 those brake signs come up much faster :D ) and I actually found a good line through the infield. Of course I was not able to repeat that line again and again which is why I am not a PRO.

Also I have to say I was working the car too much. Today my butt hurts and so do my legs. My upper body is tired too. Bad Machine explained to me that I was holding myself in because I did not have the 5 point harness. I was going to wait to install it with my next major install at ECS, but I think it would be wise to get it done before the Watkins Glenn run now.
:yeadog: You will be able to concentrate on driving not holding yourself in the seat and it will be less physically exhausting. Beat the other two up a little bit about W/G. We should book rooms soon. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Bad Machine said:
:yeadog: You will be able to concentrate on driving not holding yourself in the seat and it will be less physically exhausting. Beat the other two up a little bit about W/G. We should book rooms soon. :cheers:
The belts without a doubt will help, but don't kid yourself. You will do much better on the track if you are in shape. Driving is very demanding work (bet you have a better idea of what Ron Fellows and the like go through now).

This is a great first course cause you get to see a high lap speed and get a good feeling for whats involved. Now we need to get you all on a course will way more turns. Cause speed through the turns is where the skill (and art) is.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a Blast!! :thumb: If you get the 5 point for yourself, make sure the instructor has one also. :yeadog: And pocono is a fun course! :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Belts help but you really need a DEEP seat to hold you with DOT slicks or scrubs run hard. I broke three dead pedals from foot pressure before the deep Kirkey seat. They are 12 ea The ECS crew should buy a few because it is real rough driving without that crappie piece of plastic. I still take one spare if you need one. The Glen was 17 degrees for the last Oct event at 7 am :( It was still fun and it warmed up to the forties. Track is not as forging as Pocono so learn fast and drive with caution. Great track.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Backlash said:
The belts without a doubt will help, but don't kid yourself. You will do much better on the track if you are in shape. Driving is very demanding work (bet you have a better idea of what Ron Fellows and the like go through now).

This is a great first course cause you get to see a high lap speed and get a good feeling for whats involved. Now we need to get you all on a course will way more turns. Cause speed through the turns is where the skill (and art) is.
I don't know that I'd like a course w/ many more turns....The long course was kind of perfect I thought...Maybe a SLIGHTLY longer infield section, but beyond that it may have been too much. By the way, I'm not sore, just my neck SLIGHTLY...I do have calouses on my hands though from the death grip I had on the steering wheel..I guess that's where gloves would have helped, huh?
Ron

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Backlash said:
Cause speed through the turns is where the skill (and art) is.
Braggert. :lol: :lol:

BTW, I must either be in real good shape, or I didn't drive hard enough (probably the latter :roll: ), as I woke up without any pain at all. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don Benson said:
BTW, I must either be in real good shape, or I didn't drive hard enough (probably the latter :roll: ), as I woke up without any pain at all. :thumb:

Don

Don, after you stuff yourself into the car, there's not much room for any movement. :rofl: :p

John, just trying to be optomistic about the weather. Tom used to live in that area and has warned us about the weather in upstate NY in Oct. :eyes: lets keep our fingers crossed. Are you planning on going? :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bad Machine said:
Don, after you stuff yourself into the car, there's not much room for any movement. :rofl: :p
:jawdrop:

Dr.Ron said:
I do have calouses on my hands though from the death grip I had on the steering wheel - Ron
Hey I saw those calouses on your hand before you started driving on the track - surprisingly you don't wear glass though... :p

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don, 145+ ? Thats it? I hit that everyday on my drive home from work.. :lol:

Wish I could have been there, hopefully next year..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts