Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I just purchased a 01 Z06 with 4 miles from a Corvette collector in Detroit. The car has never been driven and I am curious if I should be worried of any mechanical malfunctions due to lack of use. Any ideas on how I should break this one in? I take delivery in the morning.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I hope this was stored in a climate controlled enviroment. I would change all Fluids, oil, trans., rear, brake, radiator before i drove it. After changing, i would drive it for a short distance, till full temp, then check for leaks. Storage for long periods is the hardest thing on gaskets and seals. Also check all the hoses to make sure there are no cracks or leaks. I would think you need a new battery also. This is just the first things i would start with.
Good Luck on your new Z and hope it brings you many years of :D

Jack

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
makes sense to change the fluids

I know my older vettes are the same way, you let them sit too long and they never run as well as one that's driven :jammin:

congrats on the new ride :cheers:

·
21,394 Posts
Along with what Jack said, how is the fuel situation? Has the car been stored with fuel in it for that long? If so, it needs to be drained and new gas put in.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I remember hearing about this guy a few months ago. Was he the car dealer that bought the car and had it delivered on a roll back to his house? I heard he was selling it. Lucky you to get such a find. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All dhecks have been done

This was the guy. The title signed over to me has the same mileage as the original title. I just sold my 87GN and 00 Ws6 last Sunday and sure enough the dealership 11 miles down the road had the car posted on thier website.The dealership went through an entire inspection of all fluids and ensured all mechanics are working properly. I just want to be sure I break it in correctly

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DetroitZ06 said:
This was the guy. The title signed over to me has the same mileage as the original title. I just sold my 87GN and 00 Ws6 last Sunday and sure enough the dealership 11 miles down the road had the car posted on thier website.The dealership went through an entire inspection of all fluids and ensured all mechanics are working properly. I just want to be sure I break it in correctly
Congrats on your NEW ZEE and Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06. :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
DetroitZ06 said:
If all was checked, then use the normal new Z breakin method. First 500 miles try and keep her under 60-65 and vary the RPM's. No WOT runs and keep the RPM's below 4K and easy on the brakes too. After 500 miles i would change the oil and filter and have at it and really enjoy the Z. Just for the record, make sure the dealership proves to you they changed all fluids. If all the original fluids have been sitting since it came from the factory, don't drive it.

Jack

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Nice find!!
My 01 just turned 30K last week.
Just how much does an 01 with 4 miles go for these days?
Inquiring minds want to know :yeadog:

Ken

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DetroitZ06 said:
This beast was a steal at 32,000.00 clams.

Jay

Great Price. What color is it? :thumb:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Congrats on your special find! :cheers:

I'm in Howell, where are you?

Zippy :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Congrats on your cool find. Time to go Z'in !!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dont worry about the fluids! If all fluids sit in a can on the shelf or in your car, whats the diff!!! Enjoy and keep it low miles as it pays down the road. Check the battery. Good Luck!! :zboobie: :coo:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
bobby778 said:
Dont worry about the fluids! If all fluids sit in a can on the shelf or in your car, whats the diff!!! Enjoy and keep it low miles as it pays down the road. Check the battery. Good Luck!! :zboobie: :coo:

Except that in sealed containers you don't have to worry about any hygroscopic qualities or condensate issues in void spaces (diffs, gearboxes, engine sumps, etc.). Changing out fluids on a "brand new" car is an insignificant inconvenience and expense! :drunken:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts