Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there.

well, i just took delivery of a used 02 Z06, with 20k miles.

i drove away from the dealer, (i bought out the ex-owners lease) and after 15mins of normal driving, at a stop light, i noticed a clucking sound, i feel it in the stick shift. When i press the clutch down (in neutral), the clucking sound goes away... when i let go of the clutch, the clucking sound comes back.

I did notice the oil level warning was telling me "CHANGE OIL NOW" the previous owner just took the car out of storage, and well, didn't have time to bring it in for the first service (winter is just finished here)

so i stopped at a gas station, and i put in 1 pint of oil. I let the car run idle for a bit, i drove off, drove for about 30mins of relax driving, the clucking sound is gone.

WTF IS GOING ON ..please, can someone help me out
please...
Manny

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
It's difficult to tell for sure, but it sounds like you've got the old "it rattles with the clutch out and in neutral" symptom. That's completely normal. To check it, just engage the clutch with the motor running. If there's no noise, then shift to neutral and release the clutch. If the noise comes back everything's OK.
As far as the oil issue, I'm lost here. The light says "change oil", right? Not "add oil" and why would you add a pint anyway?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so its normal that ..when i engage the clutch, everything seems normal, and then... when i let go of the clutch, the noise comes back? this is NORMAL??? well.. i am feeling someone what better.... i just want to make sure about this.

as for oil... the indicator actually says...'CHANGE OIL NOW"

i was in such a panic situation, i pulled over at a gas station, and added a pint of oil. it doesn't matter, i am having the car serviced tomorrow for a full oil change anyway, i am just panicing over this noise/rattle clutch thing...

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
No sweat, Z06's make funny noises from time to time just like race cars. The exhaust note is designed to mask funny noises as long as you keep you foot in it. :rofl:

Get the oil changed and remind the person doing it that the Vette takes 6 1/2 to 7 qts of Mobil 1 to get to the full mark. Oh yeah, don't let 'em overtorque the drain plug. It's 18 ft/lbs and no more (not sure about the Canadian reading). Better yet. do it yourself!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info...

i freaked out when i heard those noises at idle, sounded like marbles rattling in a box or something. Well... thank God for this forum, i called 3 different chevy dealers here, and i got 3 different answers....

i was going to have a heart attack (at 30 years old!) if it weren't for this forum.

fewffff...

ok, thanks for the help, this forum rules

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have that lil noise in my Z06 too. From what I've been told and people that have had it fixed is theres something up there by the pilot bearing that starts to make noise but doesnt harm anything. Just like a squeaky throwout bearing on the cable clutch cars.

I wouldnt worry about it. As for fluids, I always change all fluids on a car when I purchase them used, so its definitely something I would recommend doing.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The Drivers Information Center(DIC) tells you how much oil life is remaining, IF...the serviceman reset it.The reset procedure is in your owners manual page 3-49 under DIC.Most oil change places don't know you have to reset it and/or don't know how.It does not mean the oil has or hasn't been changed.When the oil life timer runs out it will say"change oil now".This is not an oil indicator,in fact,it is not hooked to the oil system at all.It is merely an oil change timer,that shows oil life,based on your average driving conditions.You may have topped off your oil,by adding a quart,but if you didn't check the dipstick you don't know.
I ALWAYS change all the fluids on any used car I buy,even if I know it has just been done.Don't stop at oil,don't forget the Tranny,Coolant,washer,power steering and brake fluids and rear end gear lube.You can never hurt it by changing these too much. :thumb: Congrats on your new purchase. :jammin: Welcome to the world of speed :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Neat Facts About the C5 Corvette

Here are some neat things you may or may not have known. I think they are some neat facts about the C5, that in not located in the owners manual. Feel free to share with anyone....
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
1: The little yellow "helper light" on the bottom of the rear-view mirror
2: That you can put your key in the door and turn it twice towards the rear to pop the trunk
3: That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.
4: That the little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located
5: All of the option codes are in the glove box
6: Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver's door.
7: The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor
8: When the engine is shut off, you can get the odometer reading by turning on the parking lights.
9: You can reset oil life by pumping gas pedal 3 times
10: If you hold down the RESET button while on one of the trip odometers and it gives you the mileage you traveled since last starting the car.
11: If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.
12: If you hate Daytime Running Lights you can pull the e-brake ONE click and they go off.
13: The parking brake is self-adjusting... but depends on the car rolling or wanting to roll backward to work.
14: You can find your build sheet is in the front re-bar, your front bumper cover must be pulled for access. If your car is a mid-year or later 1998.
15: With the car locked, you can press the key fob button to unlock the trunk without setting off the alarm or having the doors unlock too.
-That you can put your key in the driver's door and
turn it twice towards the front to unlock the
passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.

-If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute
it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the
stereo) to let you know you have old timers disease.

-Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to
engage "Competitive Driving" on cars equipped with
active handling (2000 and previous years must be
stopped.)

-If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while
you're buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you
tighter into the seat.

-Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs
will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that
when you unlock at night using the key fob your front
turn signal lights and back up lights will not will
not flash. Your front turn signals will operate
normally, however.

-The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and
backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.

-There is a release opening with a flap to let air out
of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located
just above the driver side rear compartment, behind
the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it
really works well.

-Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that
holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.

-If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking
light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights
are not left on.

Passive Keyless Entry:
Installed in 1993 - '96 Corvettes. A transmitter on the key fob would lock / unlock the doors based on its proximity to the car.
-If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock
your keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then
shake the car. That will unlock the car.

-HUD has a shift light for manuals.

-You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without
turning on any power. Don't even need key in the
ignition.

-The cruise will disengage if you purposely make sharp
side to side turns while cruising at say 60-80 mph.

-You can program setting #3 (both memory buttons at
once) in the seat memory to run the seat back and
steering wheel forward for getting in/out of the car
with the engine running.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow, are all of them for real? :jawdrop:

I knew about few of them but some just seem fishy.... hehehe

·
Registered
622 Posts
Very interesting info. :eek:o: I have to print this out. Would you mind explaining the following three in more detail? I'm a little slow.

Thanks
Greg

-There is a release opening with a flap to let air out
of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located
just above the driver side rear compartment, behind
the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it
really works well.

-HUD has a shift light for manuals.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The "air release hole" is better described as located in the driver's side rear quarter of the trunk. If you remove the carpeting from the trunk area, just above the little cubby hole on the driver's side there is a "vent" to release air pressure when shutting the trunk with the doors closed or vice versa....

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The HUD shift light is just what it says it is...a light that comes on in the HUD that reads "shift" when it's time to shift. It only comes on at redline and it took me some time before I even noticed it was there. It works pretty well but, it's small and probably not safe to watch it while driving at WOT. It comes on in the upper right hand corner of the HUD. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:

mannygmt2 said:
well, i just took delivery of a used 02 Z06, with 20k miles.
Manny
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
This is your on-line safety net for all things Z !
Many threads on all topics at your search disposal.
Get to know your Z and enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
IT L GO

Explain that one to me again. What is Passive entry??
I locked my keys in my car with it running(just shut door) at the car wash.
and I had to call wifey.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I tried to reset my "oil life" light as you indicated, but it finally made a real loud "clunk" when the old oil drained out, and the new oil won't stay in. :sneaky:

These are great and I did not know many of them. I copied your post onto a word.doc and saved it. :yeadog:

Thanks! :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts