Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a clean install for the ultra compact radio receiver. I don't like the windshield attachment. It would be ideal if the receiver fits behind the ash tray cover.

I can't wait to be cruising in the Z with Octane pumping out of the Bose. The Z06 rules.

Ob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I put a XM SkyFi in my Z and I mounted it with a bracket to the side of the tunnel that was bent so it would put the head over the cup holder which I feel is worthless anyway. It sounds like the one you have is smaller that the XM unit I have. I mounted another mounting kit in our Tahoe and we just put the head in which ever one were driving. If I keep the Z I'm going to spring for an aftermarket radio thats XM ready. I mounted the antenna in the passengers side front corner of the dash being black and small it not to noticable and routed the wires so they aren't to visable. One thing I did was installed their inline radio audio adapter directly in to the radio antenna cable on the car and mounted the unit in the dash under the radio. I tried their goofy little lighter adapter transmitter but the signal was weak and I got a lot of noise coming in with the stations so I when with the permantly installed unit. I just looked the interior over and decided that were I mounted it was the best for me. I know some people suggested mounted it at the back of the console between the seats but that would make operating it kind of a pain. These cars just weren't designed to have aftermarket stuff put in them all the free space is used by something. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
107 Posts
i mounted mine behind my right elbow, in the space behind the armrest.

sure you have to turn around to see the display, but i'm not interested in the display, i'm interested in what i'm hearing. eyes are for the road, not blinky things with scrolling stuff.

i used the GM wiring harness and plugged into where the CD changer goes - there's also a power line there you can tap into, but it doesn't switch with the ignition. my Sirius receiver has an auto power-down sequence that's time selectable, so if you do forget to turn it off, it will do so automatically.

edit: i mounted the antenna on the rear window with a small piece of velcro - again, quick to uninstall.

it's a cheezy install, but it's quickly removed and didn't require a hammerdrill.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mine is temporarily hooked up inside of the glove compartment for the center console until I have enough time to modify the ashtray area so I can mount it in there. Whenever I get around to doing it, I was planning on making a howto... Just gotta get off my ass one of these days and pick up a couple parts at the local scrapyard....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used a Proclip to mount both my Sirius and GPS receivers just to the right of my HVAC controls. They both sit just out of the way of the "cupholder" and provide handbrake clearance and are within easy reach for the driver or the passenger to control. I routed the antenna cables to the inside of the trunk. Amazingly good reception through the trunklid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts