Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of used Z06 rims last month but finally went last night and purchased a new set of tires for the upcomming solo 2 season. I went with the Kumho V710's, I have the 275's up front, and 315"s at the rear.I will be competing in SS but have some tire questions.

1. Tire rack did not reccomend that I have them heat cycled. They said it was not necessary with the Kumhos for solo 2. Is this correct?

2. What would you reccomend for initial tire pressure setings?

3. Assuming that each run is around 50 seconds what type of tire life can I expect?

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
891 Posts
They turned down charging you another $15 per tire for heat cycling. I would assume they told you the truth. Our club has had autocrosses on their test track and they know what they are talking about.

Try 30-30 & go up or down a few lb. at a time. If you can't feel the difference, it doesn't matter.

You mileage may vary. Some guys can cord a tire in one run because they use the steering wheel for a brake.

Have fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great...first Jerry Engler gets Hoosiers and now you on Kumho's!! I hope you're not planning on coming up to S. Jersey on the 20th! I guess I'll have to drag my Hoosiers out of storage and make you work at beating me again...

You wouldn't be looking for a co-driver for S. Jersey would you? See you soon....

Scott Hurley

:cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey jersy Scott!

Good to hear from you again. I had a nice time hanging with you last year at the autocross. I noticed that Jerry had gotten a set of wheels, and a trailer also, should be interesting this season. I still need to get a trailer to haul the wheels with so I will not be at the event this month, my first one will be at Boeing on April 3

p.s. please dont bring those Hoosiers, I don't want to get spanked just yet!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I picked up a roll-back trailer this year so I don't have to keep changing those g-d wheels. Now I just show up, roller her off and go walk the course. My back is thanking me!

I'm sure Frank won't be happy you're on real tires this year. They make a huge difference. After you wear them out put 295's on the front for a little more grip.

Seriously, if you want a co-driver/tire warmer at any events just let me know. I'd be happy to help pay for those expensive shoes....

:thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jersy Scott

I will keep the tire warmer idea in mind. It would be neat to run against someone else in the same car. Hope to see you at an event soon. I am sure I will need alot of advice on how to handle the new rubber.
Have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
350 Posts
My road racing starting pressures are only about 23-25 psi or so. Since you're auto-Xing, you'll probably need to go to 33-35 I would think which is about where my pressure normally end up after a few laps on track. The word on the 710s is keep them below 40 and you'll be just fine.

Don't fool with heat cycling...other than what you do on track.

Tire life???? That just depends on how fast you want to be. Obviously tires lose some speed the more heat cycles you put on them. The 710s though are so damn consistent from start to cording, it's really amazing. I race on my 3d heat cycle (qual, warm up and then the race). Then I'll use those same tires to do test days and will run another 3 to 4 sessions and they just don't seem to lose much time at all from the 2d cycle to there's nothing left of them at all. If I teach a school, I'll put another 5-10 cycles on them. All these sessions are at least 20 minutes long too!!!!! What a tire!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts