Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw 110 octane racing gas at a Citgo station. Is there any harm in running this stuff in my Z? Should I mix it with the 103? What do you think? It's $3.10 per gallon.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
itchynackers said:
I just saw 110 octane racing gas at a Citgo station. Is there any harm in running this stuff in my Z? Should I mix it with the 103? What do you think? It's $3.10 per gallon.

Thanks,

Adam
Doubt there would be any harm except to your wallet. 110 octane gas serves no useful purpose in your car.

Charlie

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The higher the Octane the fuel is the slower it will burn. Regular gas produces a hotter spark than high octane fuel does. Putting to high of octane fuel in your car will actually cause it to lose horsepower. The key is to find a fuel that will not cause spark knock (ping). IMO any fuel above 93 octane is a waste of money and you will more than likely lose Horsepower on a stock or moderately modified Z06.

One of the few examples in life where more is not betterI :cheers:

·
Registered
372 Posts
The only time lots of octane is good is when your HP is limited by knock, I.E. a motor detonates before it starts to make less torque. With a relatively low specific output motor like an LS6, more octane is useless. But if you had a twin turbo LS6 andn wanted to run 25psi, you'd have to have high octane stuff if you wanted to make any power. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to run much timing (if you could run at all at those boost levels), therefore, wouldn't make any power but would instead be sending all the heat (and energy) out the exhaust! :zboobie:

·
Registered
299 Posts
All the 110 race fuel that I've ever come across has been leaded. You cats and sensors are not going to be happy if it truly does have lead.
Tony #54

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
ELF Z06 said:
All the 110 race fuel that I've ever come across has been leaded. You cats and sensors are not going to be happy if it truly does have lead.
Tony #54

:yeadog:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ELF Z06 said:
Tony #54
Highest unleaded I have ever seen is 104. Some tracks I go to have 104, some 100. 110 has always been leaded as Tony mentioned. Not good for your O2 sensors.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Subdriver said:
Highest unleaded I have ever seen is 104. Some tracks I go to have 104, some 100. 110 has always been leaded as Tony mentioned. Not good for your O2 sensors.
He is right 110 is leaded.

We did a test last summer. Using aviation fuel and 93 octane mixtures. According to the dyno, the car performed no better with more octane. Save your money and fill up with 93 or 94 at the pump. I made big difference in the turbo cars but none for ours.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Z06-Dave said:
We did a test last summer. Using aviation fuel and 93 octane mixtures. According to the dyno, the car performed no better with more octane. Save your money and fill up with 93 or 94 at the pump. I made big difference in the turbo cars but none for ours.
We have crap 91 here :yeadog: So I add some 100 octane for insurance at the track :thumb:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Kat mix five-six gallons of 100 with ten gallons Chevron/Shell. Anymore, is a waste, unless have your timing set to the moon(over 28 degress, small bore or 24 degrees big bore) or are doing F/I, Nitrous.

Also, calling our 91 octane gas, "crap"...you are being way to nice...filling our tanks with pure crap, would yield much more BTU's than the 91 that we have to pay extra for because it has to be made just for our wonderful smog Nazi state.

The ironic thing is that pcb's in the gas, coat the fuel senders and O2 sensors in the cars(they eventually malfunction) and make the cars run worse. Go figure.

Next time, I will tell you how I really feel.
:p

As some have pointed out leaded fuel will not only destroy your O2 sensors; but I will add, your cats, heads, foul and burn your plugs MUCH faster, create havoc with your computer(due to a different burn rate) and eat your gaskets(unless they are copper). Other than that, it works great in a late model vette.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Kat mix five-six gallons of 100 with ten gallons Chevron/Shell. Anymore, is a waste, unless have your timing set to the moon(over 28 degress, small bore or 24 degrees big bore) or are doing F/I, Nitrous.

Also, calling our 91 octane gas, "crap"...you are being way to nice...filling our tanks with pure crap, would yield much more BTU's than the 91 that we have to pay extra for because it has to be made just for our wonderful smog Nazi state.

The ironic thing is that pcb's in the gas, coat the fuel senders and O2 sensors in the cars(they eventually malfunction) and make the cars run worse. Go figure.

Next time, I will tell you how I really feel.
:p

As some have pointed out leaded fuel will not only destroy your O2 sensors; but I will add, your cats, heads, foul and burn your plugs MUCH faster, create havoc with your computer(due to a different burn rate) and eat your gaskets(unless they are copper). Other than that, it works great in a late model vette.
Thanks for the heads up :thumb: But since I live my life a 1/4 mph at a time I don't put that much in.. I need all the weight reduction I can get :lol:

We run the 100 octane at the track because my hubby says it runs leaner then the "pure crap" 91 that way we are running a little richer on street.

:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts