Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the plant in Bowling Green today. It was really cool seeing all of the Vette's (and Caddy) being built there. Anyways there was a black Z06 outside of the museum (and I have many pics), and we saw about 4 or so being built. I asked a boat load of questions. They are building 75 pre-production corvettes right now. Of the 4 being built today. 1 red, 1 silver, and 2 of that orange like color. They have all carbon fiber bodies. They had 335/30-19 rear tires and 275 35-18 front's (if I remember correctly). When looking at pictures they seem like you can barely tell the difference. In person 1 look and there is no doubt that they are special. They will start full production after the 2 week plant shutdown.

I hope that this info was useful.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
huh?

so you're saying these preproduction ones are different?

just not possible

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A trip to factory is always Very:coo: cool. The rear tire size is 325/30/19

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I second that, thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
looking forward to seeing one in person. The c6 was considerably more aggressive in person that in photos, in my opinion.. Good luck with yours Zip.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm saying that the C6 Z06 is considerably more aggresive in person than in any photo. It only takes 1/2 second to realize that it's a Z06 and not a regular C6. Sorry for the confusion.

The rear tires on the black one that I saw today was definitely 335 30-19, I was 12 inches from the markings on the rear tire. I don't know why it would be different than a production Z06, but that was what this one had on for rubber. The front was for sure a 275 on a 18 rim, and I thought a 35 height.

If you ever get the chance. the plant tour is excellent. Hang at the front or rear of the pack, they have 2 guides, and you can ask them anything you want. They toured 600 people today. The plant makes 150 Corvettes per day, 400 are in the factory during assembly, and it takes 4 days to complete a Corvette. And it only takes about a 60 seconds to put the body on the chassis with 26 bolts. And the Z06 has a black frame even though it is aluminum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The price was released at 65,800 from our local newspaper (Louisville).

Front to rear weight ratio on a C6 is 51/49, on the Z06 it's 50/50

·
Registered
48 Posts
air1kdf,
Thanks for the way cool info. By the way did I understand correct? They had carbonfiber bodies, not just front fenders?
Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your welcome. That is what they were telling us at the tour, but they are painted so you couldn't tell by looking at them.

I also remember that the brake system is AWESOME. On the assembly line you could see the regular rotors, then the much nicer upgraded rotor and calipers, then something that looks like a race system on the Z06. Much larger than the upgraded rotors. They kept the way cool looking bright red color, but you could see 3 piston areas on the outside of the brakes.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes, I have seen the black, red and silver. The black was my first choice until I saw them together. The silver just looked lower and sleeker.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks IT L GO.

It really is sweet. It really makes you think, what is the cheapest car that can compete with it on the track. I'd guess something really exotic. Heck our Z's actually out brake the $480,000 Ferrari F50, and is within 1 second in track times. I think that this unit will smoke it in every category. True it's 10 years newer, but at 1/2 million dollars I wouldn't want to get smoked by a 66k car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a couple of more shots, but I can only add 1 image to my garage. What's up with that? One of them is a nice 3/4 rear view, the other is a side shot showing the HUGE rotors and brakes.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
air1kdf said:
I have a couple of more shots, but I can only add 1 image to my garage. What's up with that? One of them is a nice 3/4 rear view, the other is a side shot showing the HUGE rotors and brakes.

Go to concours, log in and upload your pictures there. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts