Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about supercharging my Z06 sometime in the future. I drove by a dealer who has an 03 Vortech supercharged Z06 so I stopped by and test drove it. I have to say I expected little more out of it however that thing pulled like a raped horse! :jawdrop: After getting back into my Z06, I realized the difference was fairly significant! It didn't have any other upgrades other then the supercharger and computer program for it.
Anyway, my question is to all of you with superchargers, do you regret getting one or are you totally satisfied with the outcome???

Ohhh, one more thing, after I drove it for a mile or so, I started hearing one of the belts squeaking like crazy at low RPM's. I'm thinking it was the supercharger belt but not certain. Any comments with issues or reasons on that?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Zmydust said:
I've been thinking about supercharging my Z06 sometime in the future. I drove by a dealer who has an 03 Vortech supercharged Z06 so I stopped by and test drove it. I have to say I expected little more out of it however that thing pulled like a raped horse! :jawdrop: After getting back into my Z06, I realized the difference was fairly significant! It didn't have any other upgrades other then the supercharger and computer program for it.
Anyway, my question is to all of you with superchargers, do you regret getting one or are you totally satisfied with the outcome???

Ohhh, one more thing, after I drove it for a mile or so, I started hearing one of the belts squeaking like crazy at low RPM's. I'm thinking it was the supercharger belt but not certain. Any comments with issues or reasons on that?

Thanks
I'm not quite sure just how a "raped horse" would pull, but then again I'm from NY, not UT!

So far, NO REGRETS!

Are you sure you weren't hearing the blow off valve functioning at low RPM's?

Charlie

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Vortech kit is notorious for developing a chirp, I am going through it right now, it is the Jackshaft set up. Seems like a fairly easy fix, I am going to box it up and send it to Vortech, and the will fix, or replace it.
As far as the Supercharger...it is AWSOME! you will not regret it. I would suggest a few more mods such as headers to help it breath a little better, this will get you lots more power. there are some great refined kits out there, such as A&A's procharger kits, and ECS kits. you can probably pick up a brand new one for about $5000, and have it installed for less than $2000. $7000 = 200+ RWHP...Not too bad in my book. DO IT!

·
Registered
117 Posts
NYCHASM said:
I'm not quite sure just how a "raped horse" would pull, but then again I'm from NY, not UT!

So far, NO REGRETS!

Are you sure you weren't hearing the blow off valve functioning at low RPM's?

Charlie
You generally won't hear the Blow off valve on a Vortech, it is routed back into the intake, making it undetectable......I wish you could hear it, I love that sound!

·
Registered
830 Posts
A Forged Engine may be in your future!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NYCHASM said:

Charlie
:lol: I don't either but it sounded funny....

It wasn't a blow off valve for sure. I have owned fair amount of turbocharged cars and I'm very familiar with that sound. It was definitely a squeaking belt sound at low RPM's.

Is Vortech supercharger the only one having this problem or is this something very common among other superchargers. I actually don't mind the whining sound of superchargers but I'm refering to the belt squeaking issue...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Louis Rivera said:
A Forged Engine may be in your future!!!!
I would love to do that but as I understand, that's is quite expensive... How much would something like that run?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I've been around a lot of ATI and Vortech Supercharged C5's and at idle they all whine like something is wrong with your car.....kinda like a steering pump belt squeel.....they cost $6-7,000.00 and up.....depending on other mods done at the time of installation.

If you want high RPM HP, they do a great job as long as you can live with a sound at idle that most people will think there is something wrong with your car. Also, they have had a lot of belt problems and require race gas or the Torco Octane booster.....you don't want knocking at high RPM :(

I was at A&A's first dyno day and there were a bunch of S/C'ed cars there. A lot of knocking, belts thrown and maf 's blown off these cars. One guy told me he wished he never put one on his Z06 : -(

A better alternative for many people is the Magnacharger, which will provide about 100-130 additional horses.... Some guys are getting 'em up to 530 at the rear wheels with lotsa mods and using smaller pulleys, and lotsa tuning. At higher blower speeds a lot more hot air is produced. If you go this route, get the innercooler model.

John Page (John Lingenfelter's Son-in-law.) at 21st Century Musclecar in Dallas does a lot of Mags and really knows his stuff. So does Andy Green @ A&A Corvettes in Oxnard, CA

The Mag idles just fine with little noise. You can really hear the S/C whine under acceleration. Gobs of torque at low rpm and under the curve. But, they run out of breath at higher rpm's. Cost is about $6,500.00, but you also need a new high rise hood. Motor City Mold in Ohio has a good one in Carbon Fiber for about $1,200.00.

The Mag is the best looking unit as it sits on top of your engine. Comes painted or you get it in a polished finish. You'll win awards at car shows :yeadog: The centrificals look good too, but not so much in your face great looks.

So low and mid range power is phenominal (that's where most of your driving is done). The centrifical SC's develop their power in the upper rpm range and are great at the Track.

Turbo's are the best way to go, but they cost lotsa $$$. I've been told the LPE turbocharger units last about a year because they are located in a high heat area deep in the engine compartment and burn up. I think the LPE TT is over $25,000.00 installed.

Another way to go is with a 383 forged stroker motor. They are getting 550 HP at the wheels. Cost is about $10-15,000.00, depending on parts used and who does the work. Balancing and blueprinting is critical, so if you go this route go to a Profession Engine Builder.....not someone working out of his garage.....although some of those guys are pretty darn good!!

HTH

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The Vortech is an excellent kit. The problems with noise at idle, and probably also with squeaking jack-shaft pulleys is, I suspect, overtightened cogged belts. I've noticed that my mechanic friend at the local dealership (who also happened to be the one who originally helped me install the Vortech) likes to tighten that belt up nice and snug each time he works on the car. It makes the Blower *much* louder, particularly at idle. Each time he does, I back off on the jack-shaft so the belt is only tight enough it can't jump the flange on the jack-shaft pulley and the result is that the blower is nearly silent at idle.

The one and only problem with the Vortech, and I suspect with all these supercharger kits, is the serpentine belt. The 6 rib pulley just doesn't have the grip it needs, you get belt slippage and wear and failure if you're not vigilent, and replacing the belt periodically is a PITA (though not as much a PITA as if you throw the belt, which I have). The fix is an 8-Rib Pulley setup. ATI-Performance sells one. It's on my list of tweaks for this summer.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I haven't driven a supercharged car yet. I was thinking about putting a maggie on mine. Hmmmm.....

Alex

·
Registered
830 Posts
Zmydust said:
I would love to do that but as I understand, that's is quite expensive... How much would something like that run?
6k and up depending on what your goals are

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
One of my Corvette Club friends drove Big Blue with the Mag S/C intercooled unit, and said he feels like throwing stones at his stock Z06.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sanford said:
One of my Corvette Club friends drove Big Blue with the Mag S/C intercooled unit, and said he feels like throwing stones at his stock Z06.
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I love mine. Never regretted getting it. Makes the Z way more fun to drive. Problem is, if you have the stock block, you'll end up wishing you could turn up the boost, which inevitably leads to purchase of a forged block, which gets expensive.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Haven't regretted doing the Procharger for a moment. The car's fun factor has definitely gone up since the work was done. As with most of the guys that have power adders. It's hard not to want to keep pushing the boost higher and higher. This fall, you guessed it, baby's off to A&A for a forged short block, et al.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Centrifugal SC's don't feel much different from stock at low RPM's but when you spin them up the difference is amazing. The Mag. seems to be a better choice for "typical" street use, though.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
No regrets on the Mag, except that now I'd like to have one on the Tahoe and GTO as well. No problems whatsoever - just more oomph.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts