Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a K&N replacement for the standard filter in the airbox of the '02? Anyone know part number and good source to purchase?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nick -- I wouldn't waste your time/money, since the air can't get through that little cut-out in the filter box anyway! Ditch the whole set-up, and get a Donaldson! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(Incidentally, I believe there IS a filter that fits the box. But, again, I'd not bother if I were you.)

-Kirk

·
Registered
267 Posts
The part number, I believe is 33-2111 and you can get it at Ecklers, Mid American, Summit, etc. Cost is $55-60.

According to the LS6 engine development engineer, it is worth about 2-3 HP and the 02 air cleaner cover is worth another 2 HP, removing the MAF screen is worth 2-3 Hp and the replacing precat with the 02 is worth about 5 HP.

I questioned him about cutting a hole in the radiator cover to match the aircleaner but he would not give me any data on that.

For under $100 you can add about 5 HP (filter and fitler cover) Is it worth it, who knows!!!!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

On 2001-08-22 15:06, KMeloney spewed forth this drivel:
Nick -- I wouldn't waste your time/money, since the air can't get through that little cut-out in the filter box anyway! Ditch the whole set-up, and get a Donaldson! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(Incidentally, I believe there IS a filter that fits the box. But, again, I'd not bother if I were you.)

-Kirk

Are talking about a 2001 airbox -- it has the dinky little air inlet opening on the airbox. The 2002 aibox opening is ALOT bigger than the 2001.

NickS was asking about a 2002, not a 2001 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Kirk and ZeeOhSix, for your replies.

I am interested in if the opening in the '02 airbox is large enough to get by with just a K&N. I've used these filters with great success with all of my cars and appreciated their high flow and easy maintenance.

Anybody with an '02 look at air flow with their car yet?

Thanks,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... and Gordy, thanks much for the part number!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I did this to my 2002 today. Get a k&n filter that matches the car. Remove the air box lid and the two lock straps. You should have the air box and the piece that the filter fits in to. Take the K&N put it in the piece that holds the filter, put both the filter and that piece (filter holder) onto the airbox. Go to Home Depot in the Electrical department and get the big tie straps that are in white. Take 2 tie straps, wrap them around the filter, filter holder and airbox. Align them with the large groves in the filter holder and pull! You just saved your self $200. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Your assebly will have the filter fully exposed. You could do it with the stock filter, but I would worry about water.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Are talking about a 2001 airbox -- it has the dinky little air inlet opening on the airbox. The 2002 aibox opening is ALOT bigger than the 2001.

NickS was asking about a 2002, not a 2001 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.
I hear you -- but even the '02 openings just aren't large enough. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif The car's simply going to like a Donaldson or Tric or something a lot more. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Kirk

·
Registered
33 Posts
With my way, you are getting rid of the lid. The opening is the full size of the filter. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WantZ06,

You were reading my mind with your approach... are you able to post a pic?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

On 2001-08-22 20:01, wantz06 spewed forth this drivel:
With my way, you are getting rid of the lid. The opening is the full size of the filter. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
NO lid at ALL ... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
Hummmm ... I'd have to see that setup before 'approving' for my Z /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

What about cutting up the 2002 airbox cover even more than OEM ... any room to play there?

·
Registered
77 Posts

On 2001-08-22 14:58, NickS spewed forth this drivel:
Is there a K&N replacement for the standard filter in the airbox of the '02? Anyone know part number and good source to purchase?

Thanks,

Nick

Check Here!

ChrisG

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

On 2001-08-22 21:03, wantz06 spewed forth this drivel:
Heres the pics:

http://primelandusa.com/airbox.htm

I guess I'd be alittle concerned about water running down the hood and down the crack on the hood's front edge, then right down on the filter's face. If you live where it never rains it would be OK, but I'm in Seattle ... no explaination needed /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Guess I don't really see anything wrong with the 2002 airbox lid. The inlet area is ALOT bigger than the 01 was. I need water protection on my Z, so even any open aftermarket filters would scare me. I think I'm just going to drop a K&N into the stock 2002 airbox /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WantZ06, seems like a good alternative way to go that saves $$$. Are you not concerned about water intrusion in the rain or will the filter prevent water from being sucked into the air filter housing. What would be
wrong with using the same idea with the stock filter instead of K&N. Also, why not use "black" tie wraps instead of white to better match the surrounding filter housing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this setup on my 97 Vette for 5 years without a problem, including heavy rain storms. I had the screen in mass air removed also on that 97. I would rather have black ties, but Home Depot did not have them.

I could definitely feel the difference after doing it on my new 2002.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Sounds good. Have we established what the correct p/n is for the K&N filter for an "02 Z06 (any difference from '01?) or whether or not that is really necessary?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts