Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the K&N filter number for a 2001 ZO6, and where is the best place to get one?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think so. To wit:

The K&N model E-1500 flows 887CFM, the AC Delco A348C flows 508CFM (both figures when clean) with equal inlet pressures and equal area restrictions.

Disclaimer: These figures are from K&N, based upon tests in their lab. You be the judge! :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Dennis......??

If that is the stock GM air filter for the 06's, then it's out of the box -92 cfm short of the 600 cfm required for the stock 06.......
If this is the case, then no wonder the new air intake set up's produce ponies....... :)

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
$49.95 is a darn good price. Earlier today I was browsing around our local discount auto parts store called Murray's. They recently started selling K&N filters and want $54.95 for the C5 air filter. BTW, for you Detroit area Vetters, Murray's Auto also sells Optima yellow & red top batteries.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you are looking for the K&N, you might want the cleaning kit. I saw one recently at NAPA. It was like $10. The cheapest I have seen. I paid just over $15 three years ago for mine.

chris

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've always hated cleaning K&N filters, and stock filters are cheap.

I wonder how much the K&N flows as it gets dirty?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I bought my z06 a little used with 800 miles on it. It now has near 4000. It came with the K+N. I took it out the other day and dropped it a 3-4 times. Alot of bugs and other crap came out. when should I clean it around 10k miles?:-?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have read that K&N loses about 20% of its efficiency after they are cleaned and then they are no better than stock. Correct me if I am wrong. I prefer to throw it away and replace it...I hate cleaning them too!! :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
ZO6LS6: Not sure what the stock Z06 filter # is, but I will check it out tonite. Believe the filter is the same for all C5s (LS1s and LS6s). The stock C5 filter may be a different # then what K&N compared to, if so, it may or may not be relavent.

Frank: I have the comparative data for dirty filters as well. Will also get that tonite. You are correct in the that the K&N (as with all filters) loses capacity as it gets dirty. The K&N starts out with more air flow capacity than stock, so it makes sense that it retains more capacity when dirty. They do a "clean" and a "dirty" comparison.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I just replaced my K&N at 14,000mi. I saved the old one and will get a cleaning kit. There was no improvement in performance over the used one with my car. The K&N was more than worth the 50 buck in performance improvement on my car. Ric

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ok, here is the data I found on the K&N box:

The E-1500 flows 887CFM clean and 463CFM dirty (used 42000 miles, yes that's right, 42K miles. This would be much more than normal).

They do not give data for a dirty AC filter or other make, however, their tests show a new clean AC A348C making only 508CFM clean! The problem though, is that the stock C5 filter from my car is an AC #A917C, so who knows? I am reasonably sure that the K&N kept clean, will outpreform the stock paper filter based upon their tests, because I don't drive my car much, and avoid dusty conditions, so my filter will always be fairly clean, as I can see it through the BIG hole in the air box.

It may also be just as easy to put a new stock paper filter in more often (cheaper for sure, until you have have bought several), and as Frank says, not have the cleaning hassel. To each his own.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Stock Flow Rates(clean)

If, as suspected the A/C filters are the same units........then the flow is SUB STANDARD for the '06's from the get go.....much less when dirty......
Anyone got the REAL data for the '06 filters flow rate??.
I (think) I remember 600 cfm............need verification though:-?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks Dennis!!

Cleaning...super big hassel!! Threw all my cleaning supplys and oil in the trash!! :D

I just prefer to change it. No doubt, the K&N is a high flow filter, which I prefer. Sticking with K&N, just not cleaning them. 10K miles, and it's gone, and I drive mine every day. :)

Thanks Dennis!!

Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts