Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again i'm having problems with my belt jumping one slot over and then rubbing something. I was looking at the Katech Solid Tensioner and wanted to know if this would work with the Magnuson S/C setup. I believe with the mag you replace the Tensioner, because mine does not look like the stock one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Daren

·
Registered
853 Posts
Had one with my ATI when ifirst got the system installed..JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put the stock tensioner back on, perfect NO slippage :zboobie:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The KaTech Billet Tensionor is not junk. It is a very nicely engineered unit. The difference is that it must be adjusted manually and belt tension must be continously checked and then adjusted if necessary.

The problem with the OEM unit is that it tends to shed belts during hard down shifts in the 4,000 - 5,000 RPM range. The KaTech unit solves this problem.

Again, it must be installed correctly, adjusted correctly and constantly checked for the proper tension as the belt stretches. The KaTech unit is not a "set it and forget it" unit but does out perform the OEM unit if properly maintained and monitored.

If it is labeled as junk, it is probably operator error.

If your belt is only jumping over one slot and not jumping completely off it is probably not a Tensioner problem but may be pulley misalignment. You may need to check using a straight edge and remedy by realigning the pulleys using some spacers, shims and/or washers.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
dbvettez061 said:
Had one with my ATI when ifirst got the system installed..JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put the stock tensioner back on, perfect NO slippage :zboobie:
Per the Katech website, "Not recommended for Supercharged applications".

·
Registered
853 Posts
I shimmed, realigned, tried tension from singing tight to moderate tight and all in between...Could only get 5 lbs of boost! Put the factory tensioner back on, and, full boost, and NO belt problems..Just my personal experience... :ity:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I think I do have a pully a little off and just have to find which pully I need to fix. Well see how long this belt lasts.

Thanks,
Daren

·
Registered
120 Posts
Katech will also tell you that the tensioner should not be used with underdrive dampners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts