Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody who has Andy's procharger kit with his new bracket have belt snapping problems? I just snapped the 2nd belt in two weeks. Im going to wait until tomorrow to call Andy but Im just wondering if anyone else is having problems.

thanks all,
Jim

·
Registered
372 Posts
Why actually, yes. When I first got mine on, I went through the first belt in about 120 miles, replaced it (i was like, w.t.f.) thought it was fixed. Well, drove about 10 miles and I noticed the rear side of the belt starting to fray just a tiny bit. Long story short, it turned out the belt was jumping off a rib to the rear on the ribbed idler pulley on the bracket. Andy sent me a new bracket/tensioner, and it's fine now. Never did figure out exactly why it was doing that.

Get a flashlight (if it's dark) and lean waaayy over top of the supercharger, look down in there, and see if you can tell if the belt has slipped off a rib to the rear. You can't quite see the pulley mesh into the ribbed idler pulley directly, but you can see the smooth pulley right on top of it. If it's misaligned, you'll be able to look directly down from vertical and see that the belt ribs don't quite line up with the ribs on the idler pulley that are visible.

I suspect your tensioner is getting weak, perhaps. The one thing that I did notice when I put the new bracket/tensioner on was that the belt was A LOT harder to install by removing the alternator pulley. I actually had to loosen the entire SC bracket assembly to get the belt over the alternator pulley.

Did you install the new belt yourself after you shreaded one? How difficult was it to get on/over the alternator??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the belt myself and it was an absolute PITA. I almost didnt think I would get it on. I used a NAPA 060888 belt. I looked at my bracket and everything looks aligned. I noticed I have some belt marks on the water pump "pumpkin" that are not aligned. I'm not use if those came about upon snapping or what.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, I almost shot myself getting the belt on with the new bracket I was getting so frustrated. Then I figured out about loosening the bracket. Anyway, can you see if the belt is misaligned on the pumpkin? The only way it can be "off" on that is if the belt is off either before or after the pumpkin, since it's smooth (obviously). I also took a straight edge and layed it against the alternator, PS pulley, and crank pulley to see if they are in line (a 36" aluminum one fits almost perfectly on the pullies when you lay it flat). If those three line up, the problem pretty much has to lie in the bracket somewhere, and in that case, it's most likely the tensioner.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I install a new belt, I will try loosening the blower bracket trick. I have the original bracket I got with the car. Im contemplating putting it back on. I never had a problem with that bracket set-up.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BBaxR6 said:
I dunno, that's weird man. Just give Andy a call ASAP, i'm sure he will take care of you.
Yeah, I'll wait till tomorrow. Don't want to bother him on the weekend. Thanks for the replies bro.

Jim

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Yeah, I'll wait till tomorrow. Don't want to bother him on the weekend. Thanks for the replies bro.

Jim
Jim, I certainly don't have Andy's bracket on my setup, but having gone through a few belts myself, I can tell you that alignment is all important. If the problem continues, you might try and using a laser aligner. It's fairly expensive to buy but maybe you can borrow one. It's the absolute best way to make sure that all pulley's and idlers are in sync. The pulley for the water pump (or power steering, can't remember which) is a 'press in' and can move about at high rpm's.

Again, I don't have Andy's bracket/tensioner but one that was special made by ATI. However, his tensioner may have a similar idiosycrocy in that the tensioner has a 'sweet spot'. Undertighten and the belt is too loose and slips a rib....overtighten and it can move around too much on one of the idlers. Find the sweet spot and it is just right.

Just a couple of ideas for ya, bro.....

Mike

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Anybody who has Andy's procharger kit with his new bracket have belt snapping problems? I just snapped the 2nd belt in two weeks. Im going to wait until tomorrow to call Andy but Im just wondering if anyone else is having problems.

thanks all,
Jim
I am running into the same issues. It made it fine for 5 dyno pulls and a few quick blasts on the street. Made one run through the gears and shredded the belt. Its a PITA to change. I am going to check my alignment when I get home again. Keep us informed

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to Andy this morning and he said the 3.6 pulley is really too small and puts alot of tension on the belt. Both times my belt snapped, it happened when I missed my 2-3 shift. He seems to think I got excessive belt whip when I missed my shifts and it cause the belts to snap. Pulling the head unit off tonight so I can replace the belt tomorrow. Going to change the oil too while the head unit is off.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok....got the head off and took some pictures of the heavy belt dust accumulation that resulted in the snapped belt. Sent the pics off to Andy to see what he says.

This is showing pulley alignment

Dust by the blower head pulley

Dust by the lower tensioner and mid pulley

Notice on this one, the black streak aft of the middle pulley and forward of the top tensioner in an "S" pattern. Thats where the belt jumped the pulley and rubbed on the bracket.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, after close measurements, the middle pulley has a 5/32 gap between the flat face of the bracket to the edge of the pulley. The blower head pulley has a 4/32 (1/8, I know) gap. Could this small difference be the cause? Causing the pulley to jump to the inside, rub on the bracket, create the dust in the above positions, and the impending belt snap?

Jim

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The belt is about 1" wide. It has 6 ribs, so the ribs are spaced about every 1/6th of an inch. So 1/8 inch is almost a rib's worth of spacing.

Easily enough to help the belt jump a groove.

·
Registered
372 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Also, after close measurements, the middle pulley has a 5/32 gap between the flat face of the bracket to the edge of the pulley. The blower head pulley has a 4/32 (1/8, I know) gap. Could this small difference be the cause? Causing the pulley to jump to the inside, rub on the bracket, create the dust in the above positions, and the impending belt snap?

Jim
Careful Jim, I tried to measure the same thing when I was having belt problems. I got a small difference of about 1/8th as well, then got to looking and noticed that the lip on the SC pulley is slightly wider than then idler pulley. You need to measure how far the first "V" is off that flat surface of the pulley, not the edge. That being said, 1/8" difference is more than enough misalignment to cause trouble.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BBaxR6 said:
Careful Jim, I tried to measure the same thing when I was having belt problems. I got a small difference of about 1/8th as well, then got to looking and noticed that the lip on the SC pulley is slightly wider than then idler pulley. You need to measure how far the first "V" is off that flat surface of the pulley, not the edge. That being said, 1/8" difference is more than enough misalignment to cause trouble.
Im right there with you. Just spoke to Andy and he told me the same thing. Measured the gap from the face of the bracket to the first rib and it looked the same, 1". From the belt rub marks and dust patterns in the pics and seeing it in person, Im 98% sure the problem is the belt is jumping to the inside along the bracket. Why is the question.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Did Andy provide any solution to the problem?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Red Kelly said:
Did Andy provide any solution to the problem?
No, not yet. I sent him these pictures last night but havent heard back from him. He said if I was there, he could put a laser sight on the car to make sure all of the pulleys are in alignment but....im not there. :cry:

Im going to install a new belt in about an hour and just keep an eye on it, I guess. I cant go to the Fest now anyways because I'm leaving next tues now instead of 1 Aug. :bmad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts