Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am pulling out the Ripper and trying the Kirban (with the "new" sound deadening metal ring that goes on top of the shifter).

Any tips for setting up the settings on the stops (other than what the instructions say)?

Thanks
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
None that I know of. I just used a feeler gauge and set the stops to the spec. Made sure all the gears were there before I took it out on the road.

Pat :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Just make sure you do the correct adjustment procedure to allow the Kirban to work correctly.
Place the car in neutral.
You need to loosen the 2 mounting bolts, which are Torx positive 40, and the pinch bolt.
Then slide the L shape pin, which is in the black adjustment end of the shifter, and slide it down into the hole.
Then retorque to 22 ft lbs. all the 3 bolts.
Let us know how you make out, c4c5:eek2:

·
Registered
54 Posts
you will love the Kirban...no noise at all!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rippers out!!

Ripper is out, installed the Kirban, MAN it feels a little more notchy than the Ripper! I really don't feel THAT much difference in force.

I adjusted the set screws by shifting the rod into first all the way and getting a .010 feeler guage to slide in between the rod and the stop. Did the same for second. That's what the instructions say, hope it works.

One thing the Ripper was an oriented (front / rear) shifter, but nothing was said in the instructions about a front and rear for the Kirban, any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cruise,
A little too stiff for me, although I probably really did not give the Ripper or the tranny time to ease in. So I figured I would try the Kirban.
We'll see

·
Registered
194 Posts
Kirban finally getting just deserts!

Hi All,

Originally went with the Kirban/Hardbar combination when I replaced the stock shifter on my '02. Immediately felt much surer shifting, particular from 2nd to 3rd.

5th to 6th still required a little "will and forethought" in order to successfully negotiate, though.

The Kirban has been in for a thousand miles and has broken in to a most enjoyable and predictable cadence of rowing through the gears. Had a Ripper in a previously owned Cobra and enjoyed it immensely in that application. Can't say anything untoward about it... only that it required a little more bicep to move.

Overall observation is that the Kirban has more "grace" not requiring as much muscle or force to engage the next gear. Seems almost to think for itself with surety and conviction.

Very happy with the Kirban in the Z06. If the Hurst has improved on this design then go out and buy one!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kirban's in!

Well the Ripper is out and the Kirban is in.
Drove the car all day, I like it better than the Ripper.
Nice short positive throws, nice notchy feeling, and not as hard to row as the Ripper.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I really dont understand how anybody can say that the ripper requires EXTRA effort to shift from gear to gear!!

I find it just as easy to shift as the stock shifter, However the gears our now just a click away and has a much, much, shorter throw.

What Gives....................

I love the rippers short shifts and close gates, I should of done this upgrade from the get go......

just my .02

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Z-U,

In order to accurately judge the difference between the two shifters you really need to try both.

Granted, my experience with the two was in different cars, but my feeling is that the Kirban in the Z06 was significantly more predictabe and docile than was the Ripper in a Cobra.

With that said I LOVED the Ripper in my prior application... and, with no doubt, anyone who slams a Ripper into his Z06 will not be disappointed in the least as compared to the stocker.

The aftermarket folks clearly have produced products that significantly outperform the stock application of the shifter implementation. The relatively small margins of difference among the aftermarket set make this an area where it is hard for one to make a bad decision. Happily, all who go the route of replacing the stocker will be happy in the end.

Best to all...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NOW U Z ME said:

In order to accurately judge the difference between the two shifters you really need to try both.

What he said :D :D :D :D ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts