Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any sound files of a motor with knock, ping, detonation, valvetrain rattle, a bent valve, or bent pushrod?

Just wondering because I have alot of ticking in the motor. I hear it the most when im out of the throttle. Probably because the car is so loud under any throttle conditions. :lol:

I have a forged motor and AFR heads from A&A. I understand that ticking and some noise is normal and I dont mind it at all as long as its normal. Im also trying to learn some in depth mechanics and this will help.

thanks all,
Jim :cheers:

·
Registered
353 Posts
i seem to notice it and i was told its normal lsx noise. its only in the low rpm with windows up and radio off do i hear it. power still comes on strong but my idle is a little high which im going to try an idle relearn to see if it goes away. send me a pm and ill hold my phone to the motor for ya

·
Registered
808 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Does anyone have any sound files of a motor with knock, ping, detonation, valvetrain rattle, a bent valve, or bent pushrod?

Just wondering because I have alot of ticking in the motor. I hear it the most when im out of the throttle. Probably because the car is so loud under any throttle conditions. :lol:

I have a forged motor and AFR heads from A&A. I understand that ticking and some noise is normal and I dont mind it at all as long as its normal. Im also trying to learn some in depth mechanics and this will help.

thanks all,
Jim :cheers:
I don't have a sound file but can tell you from experience what it compares to. The sound of severe detonation which will be heard under WOT can be charaterized very similar to the following:

The type of sound you hear when dropping food into a hot frying pan.

The sound of marbles or rocks being shaken in a can or paper bag.

If you hear these sounds back off the throttle immediately and investigate why your motor is detonating or you may end up with serious damage. Also, note that all detonation is not audible and that the sounds described above are severe indications.

-RR

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Jim,
Our motors with aftermarket cam/heads, heavy duty valve springs are noisy especially at idle. When I changed my heads and cam I was concerned at first because of the
noisy valve train, but not to worry, it is normal. I have put 5000 hard miles on mine since the cam swap and it is running perfect. I hardly even notice the noise anymore, I am so used to it. HTH

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts