Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by those sweet Stockholm street racing videos I began to wonder a little about my own driving style.

Pay attention to the Getaway in Stockholm video and you'll hear the driver of the "slightly modified" 911 expertly blip-downshift when he slows down off the freeway into town. It sounds like the car is constantly in gear with no clutch-in breaking. A *very* nice sound as he works his way down in gears. :yeadog:

Does anyone know of a good driving book or video that shows how to properly drive my Z to its limits?

--pdx_Z

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Thats a good question

It would be a lot less expensive then some of the $2,000 dollar driving schools. At least you would know what to expect if you did go to one of the track schools. Must be race car training movies on DVDs I would think. :) :) :) I would like to find one and put it on my big screen TV with the suround sound that would be way to cool. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have the Skip Barber book, the front picture is of an 83 Mustang GT if that gives you any clues to its age. The book touches on trail braking, apexes, drifting and quite a bit about Skip Barber. I would not suggest it for purchase. IMHO

·
Registered
575 Posts
Justin Bell or Bragg Smith school is great for "hands-on" experience.
The best book that I've read is the "Secrets of Solo Racing" by Henry A. Watts. Kind of a book you can read now, go to a school, and read it again.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lots of good stuff out there. But you'd be surprised how much most driving books are similar to one another in content. Just pick someone who's style you like. Personally I like the engineer's point of view that you get from Paul Frere. I don't remember the title of his book but it would be easy to find on amazon.

Also, like everyone else said, the best place to learn is on a track. The one thing that could be useful before going for a day of on track instruction is getting good at doing the heel toe throttle blips that you are talking about. If you aren't already good at it, be ready to spend a lot of time getting that right during your first time out. If you practice it before hand and make it second nature, that'll leave you more time to learn other stuff. And it's something that is easy and safe to learn away from a track, unlike most other skills.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Reading is one thing actual doing it at speed is another. Take the time go to a good school. I just went to Justin Bell's trust me it is well worth the money and the expierience is great. :z:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Thanks to DJWorm and everyone else

who gave everyone here great information. I printed it all out so I can find some of the books and learn how to heal and toe. Lot to learn and practice or vis a versa. Thanks again Sanford :) :) :) :cheers:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bondurant

Check out the link. It's from the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving. I attended their 3 day HPD course....very good. The book is solid.....g

1 - 11 of 11 Posts