Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been listening for exhaust system that give more power, but would be as quiet if not quieter then stock, I think I found that out, I had my car next to a otherwise stock execpt for Kooks Long Tubes, No cats, and Kooks x-pipe with the stock ti exhaust, I noticed it was quieter but to be shore, other people listen to both of our cars, and even on the burnout box, the one with the kooks was still quieter, and it seemed to rev easier too.

Is this possible? :jawdrop: to have more power from an exhuast and be quieter? and I know there are alot of posts on this, but on a stock car how much power would the full kooks setup with a tune give ya, would it be 20rwhp, or would that be asking for too much?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think that headers on the LSX engines, especially the Z, do not really increase the overall volume, but they do change the pitch of the exhaust note, maybe that makes them sound quieter?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WayneE said:
I have LGs, RT cats and stock Ti mufflers on my car. It isn't any louder than stock. Couple that with a silent blower and it's as much a sleeper as you can get with these cars :)

Yea I had a SQ vortech on my Stang and it was nothing short of a short sleeper, alot quieter then my stock Z06 :guiness:

so how much power can you get out of changing kooks headers and x-pipe? and is that the most power gaining exhaust system? or are there any others?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I can't imagine that an exhaust without cats is quieter than one with cats.

I don't have the stock ti catback, but when I went from stock manifolds, h-pipe, cats, and Borla stingers, to the Kook's 1 7/8" LT headers, no cats, and the stingers, it was considerably louder. Of course, the cam change has a little to do with the aggressive tone it has now.

Don't know how much of this would have been muffled if I had keep the stock catback on.

Steve

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
There's no way a car w/o cats is quieter than a car with cats. If you had LT headers w/ cats and the stock catback the overall volume wouldn't change but it'd be deeper and throatier.

I have 1 3/4ths Kooks LT's w/ hiflo cats mated to Stingers and the sound is very loud and very American exotic. The Kooks have equal length primaries (why they're harder to install) so they make a distinct and very cool sound.

The quality is amazing and I don't need to run plug wire protectors b/c none of the primaries come close to touching them... unlike some other brands where you'll melt them up with ease.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cobra4B said:
There's no way a car w/o cats is quieter than a car with cats. If you had LT headers w/ cats and the stock catback the overall volume wouldn't change but it'd be deeper and throatier.

I have 1 3/4ths Kooks LT's w/ hiflo cats mated to Stingers and the sound is very loud and very American exotic. The Kooks have equal length primaries (why they're harder to install) so they make a distinct and very cool sound.

The quality is amazing and I don't need to run plug wire protectors b/c none of the primaries come close to touching them... unlike some other brands where you'll melt them up with ease.

Having no cats ,too suprised me, but that's what he said, at least I think it was what he said, if not then he would correct me, I wont mention his name here, maybe if he wants to get in on this then he'll post in, If not then I'll keep it private because what he told me I dont think he wanted me to announce it. But I did see the headers and the car was quieter, thats a fact, so far Im sure that kooks headers make the car quieter, if it without cats I cant say for sure :pp: But I was suprised, I mean it happen where I add a vortech on a mustang with stock exhaust then I changed to bassani x-pipe and catback and it seemed quieter, less clogged up was more of the thing, and his Z06 sounded that way , like it was free and mine sounded clogged up, :lol: :lol: I guess from his reveing smoother :thumb:

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's probably the X-pipe that is making it seem quieter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I definitly thought my car got louder after the kooks install, but who really knows for sure. Either way it didnt change much in volume, but the tone is more exotic sounding at high rpm. They are the Kooks 1-3/4 with 3" offroad x pipe to stock ti, however replacing the stock ti with a catback this week so it will not be quiet for much longer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Z06ified said:
It's probably the X-pipe that is making it seem quieter.
Mine is quieter also, IMO, the H-pipe gave it the sweet gurgle, however, the tone with the Kooks, hi-flow cats, and X-pipe is throater and a little deeper, you can definitely tell some power is lurking. At WOT, it sounds like a nascar. :D

I gained 13 rwhp and 8 rwtq with the mods without a tune.

This is one mod I should have done when I bought the car.

augydog :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bonerben said:
I definitly thought my car got louder after the kooks install, but who really knows for sure. Either way it didnt change much in volume, but the tone is more exotic sounding at high rpm. They are the Kooks 1-3/4 with 3" offroad x pipe to stock ti, however replacing the stock ti with a catback this week so it will not be quiet for much longer.

Defenitely sounds exotic Ben :cheers: , and I could tell the diffrence, but my brothers listened to both and said the same thing, it did seem quieter from idle til passed mid range, then on high range it got sharper, like you actually were reving higher, I actually even you maybe had a cam, but it was so quiet and sweet sounding, Im pretty sure my stocker still sounds sweet, but you here better how it sounds when you listened to it with somelse driving it. but yours rocks :cheers: :cheers: jealous :cheers: ooppps :drunken:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have Kooks, X-pipe, and highflow cats on mine and it does seem quieter at idle and part throttle up to about 3000rpm.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
FRISKY said:
I have Kooks, X-pipe, and highflow cats on mine and it does seem quieter at idle and part throttle up to about 3000rpm.

Thanks for the heads up cause when its time to replace my flps...I'm getting kooks!

Have a good one and thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Mine has LG Long Tubes, w/o cats, stock Ti, and at idle it is a bit louder. However, when you stomp the loud pedal... Yee Haa!!! It is plenty loud.

·
Registered
35 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Defenitely sounds exotic Ben :cheers: , and I could tell the diffrence, but my brothers listened to both and said the same thing, it did seem quieter from idle til passed mid range, then on high range it got sharper, like you actually were reving higher, I actually even you maybe had a cam, but it was so quiet and sweet sounding, Im pretty sure my stocker still sounds sweet, but you here better how it sounds when you listened to it with somelse driving it. but yours rocks :cheers: :cheers: jealous :cheers: ooppps :drunken:
I'm jealous of the 11 second pass!! Time for some tires...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts