Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to see if the new Kumho tires are available at tire rack. I noticed that they had a note saying that the SCCA SEB has rescinded on the use of the new tire for Nationals. Is this true? I noticed on the National entry list that our own Dave S. is running Kumho among others. Does any one know what is the actual desicion /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, the 'new' Kumho tire is not going to be legal until after Topeka.

Although realistically the new tire from Kumho is not going to be enough for the Z-06 cars anyways. It would compliment a LS1 Car very nicely, due to LS1 models, having taller gears, and 9.5" rears.

The tire from Kumho is a 285/30/18 and will match well with a 255/40/17 Front.

However... On a Z-06... the 285/30/18 has a lower overall diameter than the 275/40/17 Fronts. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

For Z-06 Owners that want to run Kumho's I would recommend the new 335/35/17 which fits a 17X12" wheel Nicely. (albeit, you wouldn't be in Stock Class, but a lot of Z-06 guys don't run in stock. You could then run the 285/30/18's in the front!)

I was able to do some testing with the new Kumho, and they are much better, and Lighter ,however... the 18" is 'loose' on the 10.5" rear wheel of a Z-06.

Peace,

Dave

PS... I am on Kumho's for Topeka, although.. just thr Front! Like I have ran all year! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

My next Favorite place, www.SCCAForums.com

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Dave,
If you were to recommend a set of Kumhos to go on stock tires, what size would you recommend? Those 335's sound good, but I won't be doing anything that drastic. Maybe just playing around a little at some local events.

chris

·
Registered
151 Posts
The ONLY Kumho you can fit on the stock Z06 Rear wheels(18x10.5)is the above mentioned (new)285/18, otherwise, you have two Hoosiers to choose from 275/18 & 305/18. anything wider than a 305 won't fit (well) on a 10.5" rim, and like they've said, the 285 Kumho will feel loose on the rear wheels, so, I can only imagine how the 275 Hoosier will feel. Just remember that all of afore mentioned tires are a bit "Oversized" Hoosiers 275 actuly has the same (-1/8") tread with as the stock 295 Supercar Tire. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm confused on the issue of "loose." Does that mean it will feel like the 285 is too big? That doesn't seem to be consistent with the above posts, but that is what having a tire loose makes me think.
I understand that anything wider than a 305 will be too wide for the rear tire, but what about the 305?

Does the loose issue mean that the tire will not have much stick? Is that why Gofastbilly then compared the Kumho to the Hoosiers?
I'm confused.
chris

·
Registered
198 Posts

On 2001-08-09 15:12, chrisj spewed forth this drivel:
I'm confused on the issue of "loose." Does that mean it will feel like the 285 is too big? That doesn't seem to be consistent with the above posts, but that is what having a tire loose makes me think.
I understand that anything wider than a 305 will be too wide for the rear tire, but what about the 305?

Does the loose issue mean that the tire will not have much stick? Is that why Gofastbilly then compared the Kumho to the Hoosiers?
I'm confused.
chris
Chris, loose means the rear is all over the place. The car puts down good power, but with the 285 being so 'stretched' on a 10.5" wheel, the car cannot corner quickly, without the ass end wanting to come around! Loose conditions can come from a Tire to small, as well as too big.

The Hoosier 305 works fine on the rear. A 275 would be devastating in my opinion.

"Dave,
If you were to recommend a set of Kumhos to go on stock tires, what size would you recommend? Those 335's sound good, but I won't be doing anything that drastic. Maybe just playing around a little at some local events.
chris"

Chris, unfortunately you cannot really run a Kumho on the Stock rears. If you want to run Kumho's I would recommend purchasing a set of Grandsport Rears, and Any 17X9.5 Fronts.

Hope this helps,

Dave

My next Favorite place, www.SCCAForums.com

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Now it is clear. Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
OK Dave,
How do the new khumos compare to the V700's?
I run on a very 'marbly' surface where we have our 'home' events, and the victoracer allows me to really motor around(almost always vying for TTD). The R1's and Hoosiers are inferior on this surface. Did they change them(compound) dramatically?
Thx...

George

·
Registered
151 Posts
Loose is Loose, I think Dave described it best. From the looks of things with Kumho/Hoosier/Goodrich, the only realistic set-up for tires on a "Stock" Z06 is going to be Hoosiers 305/30/18 rear & 275/40/17 front. That's the Tire story. The Kumho 285 is a bit narrow for the rear, and, I've never herd of anyone being overly successful with mixing manufacturers front and rear. Having said that.... I can't wait to try the 285 Kumho....... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif and if that sux, I'll mix them up a bit. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Then I'll go with the 305/275 Hoosiers combo when it counts! (Kumho=Dollar Runs. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Hoosiers=$10 runs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

·
Registered
198 Posts

On 2001-08-09 20:57, GTB/ZR-1 spewed forth this drivel:
OK Dave,
How do the new khumos compare to the V700's?
I run on a very 'marbly' surface where we have our 'home' events, and the victoracer allows me to really motor around(almost always vying for TTD). The R1's and Hoosiers are inferior on this surface. Did they change them(compound) dramatically?
Thx...

George

The new Kumho's are very comparable to the V700's... they are a bit softer compound, a few lbs lighter, and wear excellent.

They will still be the weapon of choice in loose, cold dirty surfaces.

Peace,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts