Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for some 18in CCW road race wheels and I wanted to run the Kumho V710's with them. I drive only 3,000 miles a year, attend 3-4 road race track days a year and never drive in rain. Do you think I can get away with running these on the streets? How many miles should I expect out of them? Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the street I think a better choice would be Toyo R1 or Nitto R2. I bought V710's for autocross and most guys don't recommend even driving to the event on them. My street tires right now are Kumho MX. I only get 3500 miles on them at the most. Last set was more like 3000. That's with lots of spirited driving, autocross and a couple of track days.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not a good Idea!! The 710s will go south or be gone after one good track day, Not that it couldn't be done. I will through out the Michelin Sport Cups. You will have a good track day tire that is drivable on the street. and will go 5K easy depending on number of laps at track day.

I ran mine 8K plus around 300 auto cross laps. or so.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
V710's, even though labeled as DOT approved, are NOT suitable for street driving.

Although they are now constructed with steel belts per the new, more stringent DOT specs.; they are only made to the specs. to qualify them for Sanctioning Bodies and racing Classes that require DOT tires. They were never meant for the street and in fact have thinner constructed side walls that will not stand the abuse from street driving such as potholes, utility covers and displaced bridge thresholds. And they can not be driven in any moisture whatsoever.

They are a track/AutoX tire ONLY.

Get a set of dedicated race wheels and save the V710's for the track.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too. Looks like the car will be trailered to the road race events.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Next best thing to having your cake and eating it to are the MPS Cups. Check out the test report on these Michelins at the tire rack..... damn impressive DOT legal competition tires.

I'm getting 'em as soon as I wear out my current MPS's.....damn things wear real good.

MPS Cup size will be: 345x30x18 on the rear and 295x30x18 up front.....they have smaller sizes too :yeadog:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts