457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your driving a corvette, esp. a Z06, pop for a new Valentine

Its gonna pay for itself, many times over

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Does laser speed detection radiation "spray" enough that it would be detectable if it were not focused on me? I just bid on a used Valentine on ebay that did not have that feature on the premise that I would already be toast when I picked up on laser beam anyway.......

Anybody get that kind of save from a Valentine yet?

------------------
'01, Z06, Millenium Yellow (electrochromics, BSMs, magnetic oil plug, cargo net,and velcro'd accessories), Everyday driver (such a treat to drive Automobile's car of the year!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Felkebg,

The laser beam does disperse as it leaves the projector. However, the dispersion is actually fairly narrow, roughly the diameter of a mid-size car at 400 feet. Thus, you may get a signal from your detector if you were right next to the car being painted, or if some light reflected from a nearby car, which means that you are just as likely a target. Thus, no early detection is likely.

What this means is, the laser detector really only can detect when you are being painted. Does it work quick enough? My real life experience answer is "just barely." In maryland last year (not in the vette,) my laser detector screamed. I slammed on the brakes (which could be dangerous if you have tailgaters,) and the trooper promptly pulled me over. However, he said he clocked me at 70mph, when, right before braking, I was going 80mph. He decided not to ticket me, but he knew I was going faster. So, the detector kind of worked, but early warning is just not there.

sorry for the long winded response...

------------------
-derek Z06 Black/Mod.Torch

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have laser on my V1, after I saw a demo of how it worked I think it is kind of a waste because there is very little "spray" o if you get the warning it's probably too late.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
For the cost of a new Valentine you will have the best protection available. Don't try to save pennies now....a ticket(s) will cost you more in the long run.

V1? "Never leave home without it."

Zippy

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts