Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a few last second questions before upgrading for Sundays DE this weekend.

1) I have new -AN SS lines from DRM. Do I use the longer lines on front or rear? Also, what do I torque the lines down to? Also, exactly what are you using to shield these lines from causing PCM codes?

2) SS Speedbleeders. What do I torque them to, and do you have a favorite wrench to help reach them behind a tire?

3) SS Pistons. Any special instruction for replacing seals on the re-install?

4) Tech 2 bleed. I'll have a Tech2 with me (and a guy who can use it), is there any particular time that is best to effectively flush out the old fluid? Do I fully bleed, THEN open the ABS? It seems like I would then need to fully bleed again... I only have 3L of ATE.

Thanks In Advance!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can't remember on the length of the lines.

The speed bleeders or reg valve I just tighten by hand, snug, plus about an 1/8 of a turn.

Nothing special on the pistons, but you do need compressed air to shot in the hole the bleeder came out of and a piece of wood between the caliper and the piston ( do not put your fingers in between ) it pops out fast and hard. They come with some lube for the seals to aid with re-inserting, be sure to use it or some brake fluid, if you don't have it.

The tech two has a flush sequence program that you will run. The Tech 2 will tell you what to do and when to do it. Best to have all four wheels off the ground if possible and all wheels off. If not, it will wait for you before you go to the next step. Basically it will say stuff like pump the pedal x times, release the bleeder on RR, "cycling ABS wait", pump pedal, Close bleeder. It's pretty straight forward. It's like a software install and tells you when you are done. After that you only need to flush the bad fluid out at the track. You do not need a tech2 then. I have only done it a couple times at the track as the brakes felt fine all weekend. A typical weekend with say 5 sessions of 20 mins per day on a fairly long track should not be a problem. My routine is to flush the bad fluid out of the calipers the old fashion way before a track weekend and bring the gear just in case.

The reason we use the tech 2 is to get the stock fluid out of the ABS unit. Once it's out and your new fluid is in the system you should not need to use the tech 2 again, unless you want a super complete flush every so many events.

·
Registered
372 Posts
BTW, I had no issue with the stock pistons on the long tracks I was running. I personally think it depends on the kind of tracks you will run. In either case the SS or no SS you will find over time that the dust boots on the calipers will melt if you are running real tight hard braking tracks. Everthing will still work, but you will look at them and say "whoa". The wilwood calipers do not have dust boots at all, just an fyi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts