Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They ran 14 cars flat out over a one mile straight. The C6 came in last at every time/speed trap:

1/4 mile
1/2 mile
3/4 mile
full mile
full mile speed(slowest)

I was shocked that it could not reach it's tested top speed of ~180 within one mile. Only got to 154.....

I wonder if a C5 Z06 would have faired any better....

Kind of sucks.......

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
What month issue? Maybe it was a sick C6?

Doesn't sound right but thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Maybe that's why SportAuto got such bad numbers in their test - the truth is the C6 is a slug... ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Recently switched rides, from an 03 Cobra to my C6. To be honest, the C6 seemed to be a little slow in the acceleration department, relatively speaking. Granted my car is brand new and still needs some break in time but when shifting, it seemed to fall flat on its face for a momentary second. I didn't run that well in 1/8th recently. Granted it was hot, around 90, and my first time driving it but [email protected] is still a bit slow (2.1 60-ft). My 03 Cobra was not like that and a buddies 01 Z06 was definitely not like that. I recently added a custom tune and it's night and day from stock. It's what the C6 should have been from the factory. By the way, I've got an m6 Z51 optioned C6.

·
Registered
331 Posts
jnjboc said:
I was shocked that it could not reach it's tested top speed of ~180 within one mile. Only got to 154.....
180 mph in the standing mile is very very fast. The C6 would need a lot more power to hit that.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
luke1 said:
180 mph in the standing mile is very very fast. The C6 would need a lot more power to hit that.
Geraing more than power.

What were the other cars in the test - and what were their times?

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the numbers for horsepower, wind resistance, and weight that I currently use, my computer program says the C6 will reach 157.8 mph in 1 mile.

It would reach 171.6 mph in 2 miles.

It would reach 175.8 mph in 3 miles.

The magazine seems right to me.

Rod

·
Registered
18 Posts
For a comparison, Motor Trend got a 2003 Z06 to hit the mile in [email protected] (93% of its top speed). None of those cars could hit its top speed in a mile. The closest was a Mosler MT900 that hit [email protected] (93% of its top speed).

Granted two different magazines with testing done on different days/years but a comparison none the less. Any clue as to what kind of C6? Was it an auto, m6, Z51 option or not?

Another car of interest in this test was an 03 Cobra. It ran the mile in [email protected] (95% of its top speed).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having run standing miles my average mph was around 153-154 mph. With good air and tailwind sometimes a mile or two more. To get into the 180s probably requires another 200 HP.
My car is completely stock as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For what it's worth, my programs says the following:

Z06: 31.288 sec @ 161.67 mph
C6: 31.391 sec @ 157.75 mph

In the standing start 1 mile run.

Rod

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
September issue of R/T is where I saw it. Just came in the mail yesterday.

Other cars:

Viper SRT-10
Lambo Murci
Vortech Mustang GT
HPA Audi TT
Ford GT
Ruf R Turbo
Ruf CTR Yellow Bird
Jaguar XKR Trans-AM
Pontiac Riley DP
MV Agusta Tamburini(bike)
Saleen S7
Hennessey Viper(twin turbo)
Lola Champ Car

Granted, there were only two stock showroom cars, but it just hurt the Snake was fast at all time checks, and seeing the Corvette at the bottom of every list just hurts a little.

Very fast company here though......

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I seem to recall my car ran to 6600rpm (173mph) in 46 seconds. Hand timed.

Seems the the C5 Z06 and C6 Z51 are much of a muchness at these speeds. It would be nice to compare against other STOCK cars... not tuner specials.

·
Registered
331 Posts
jnjboc said:
September issue of R/T is where I saw it. Just came in the mail yesterday.

Other cars:

Viper SRT-10
Lambo Murci
Vortech Mustang GT
HPA Audi TT
Ford GT
Ruf R Turbo
Ruf CTR Yellow Bird
Jaguar XKR Trans-AM
Pontiac Riley DP
MV Agusta Tamburini(bike)
Saleen S7
Hennessey Viper(twin turbo)
Lola Champ Car

Granted, there were only two stock showroom cars, but it just hurt the Snake was fast at all time checks, and seeing the Corvette at the bottom of every list just hurts a little.

Very fast company here though......
Two stock showroom cars? All these are stock, no?

Viper SRT-10
Lambo Murci
Ford GT
Ruf R Turbo
Ruf CTR Yellow Bird
Saleen S7

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I was thinking that realistically, the Corvette and Viper are the only two you would see if you walked into a showroom

The others are definintely special order items.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To smoovepl:

The C6 Corvette can hit about 155 mph in a standing start 1 mile run. It takes about 3 miles, or more, for a 400 HP Corvette to get to about 180 mph.

So, was the brochure wrong? Maybe. Maybe not. But top speed has nothing to do with the speed you can reach in a 1 mile run.

Rod

·
Registered
331 Posts
jnjboc said:
I guess I was thinking that realistically, the Corvette and Viper are the only two you would see if you walked into a showroom

The others are definintely special order items.
Yeah I see what you mean there. Not too many Ruf CTR YellowBird's around! Although a guy that lives near me has got one and a RUF R-Turbo as well (you might have seen some of his videos)

Just out of interest can anyone post the 1 mile speeds/times?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts