Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, anyone who saw the vid of my z vs the "11 sec audi" could see,I had a bit of trouble gettin off the line my first time out at the track.My best 60 ft was 1.95(which i know is horrible)I read the sticky on launching the z and everything..but i was still havin trouble. Maybe cause i've only had the car for a week and still need to get comfortable w/ the IRS/Clutch/DR's?. My last car was a stroked camaro w/ a solid rear and slicks. In that car all i had to do was dump and go. Should I be holding my rpm while slipping the clutch on the Z? or increasing it? Wheelhop problems get in it or off it?There's too many questions to ask.My Mods are in my sig(for any1 curious as to my setup) I know a few people on here have driven this car when it was owned by it's previous owner(David Fogel) I know Brent ran the car's best time from what i was told, and a few other guys (i think Paul being one of them) have driven it. Any tips/suggestions you guys can give me on getting off the line in this car would be greatly appreciated (especially so i can take on that audi again for real this time)
Thanks Alot,
Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as it says in my first thread..i read the sticky(pretty much memorized it) but still had alot of trouble w/ slipping the clutch the right way and getting wheel hop. the sticky was very helpful, but i'm still lookin for a lil more advice w/ my clutch(cartek clutch)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
DisturbedZ06 said:
Well, anyone who saw the vid of my z vs the "11 sec audi" could see,I had a bit of trouble gettin off the line my first time out at the track.My best 60 ft was 1.95(which i know is horrible)I read the sticky on launching the z and everything..but i was still havin trouble. Maybe cause i've only had the car for a week and still need to get comfortable w/ the IRS/Clutch/DR's?. My last car was a stroked camaro w/ a solid rear and slicks. In that car all i had to do was dump and go. Should I be holding my rpm while slipping the clutch on the Z? or increasing it? Wheelhop problems get in it or off it?There's too many questions to ask.My Mods are in my sig(for any1 curious as to my setup) I know a few people on here have driven this car when it was owned by it's previous owner(David Fogel) I know Brent ran the car's best time from what i was told, and a few other guys (i think Paul being one of them) have driven it. Any tips/suggestions you guys can give me on getting off the line in this car would be greatly appreciated (especially so i can take on that audi again for real this time)
Thanks Alot,
Steve
Steve, I know the car. It's gonna take alot of seat time. It's capable of low 11's. Like I said it should not be wheelhopping. After you wear out the nittos I would go to MT et street drag radials, or even bfgs. Anytime you head down to etown, let me know and I'll help you out. You should slip the clutch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob, the car is currently on bfg drag radials(17 x 11's/315's).I will 98% likely be goin to e-town this friday if you're planning on heading out. I read in one of your previous threads about not having your foot all the way on the floor on the clutch when you're at the line i think that could be one of my problems, i'm defintley gonna try having the clutch at the grabbing point on the line next time out to get some more feel off the line. I also think i need to "squeeze" more and "stomp" less on the gas.My other big question is, what do you guys do during your burnout 1st gear or 2nd(For some reason i couldn't imagine doin a burnout in 2nd) and do you just plant your foot on the floor?..i tried gradually increasing the throttle and the car stalled on me....i'm thinkin it could be cause it was on a back to back run and the tires might've already been sticky enough, any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
DisturbedZ06 said:
Rob, the car is currently on bfg drag radials(17 x 11's/315's).I will 98% likely be goin to e-town this friday if you're planning on heading out. I read in one of your previous threads about not having your foot all the way on the floor on the clutch when you're at the line i think that could be one of my problems, i'm defintley gonna try having the clutch at the grabbing point on the line next time out to get some more feel off the line. I also think i need to "squeeze" more and "stomp" less on the gas.My other big question is, what do you guys do during your burnout 1st gear or 2nd(For some reason i couldn't imagine doin a burnout in 2nd) and do you just plant your foot on the floor?..i tried gradually increasing the throttle and the car stalled on me....i'm thinkin it could be cause it was on a back to back run and the tires might've already been sticky enough, any other ideas?
I do the same w/ the clutch as Rob mentioned.
If you're spinning on the launch, you are probably getting on the gas too fast &/or releasing the clutch too quick.
I do a 2nd gear burnout. I think Rob does as well. You can spin the tires faster in 2nd gear, thus, heating them up more...For the burnout, just bring the rpm's up to 5500 & dumo the clutch and go on the brake just enough to keep the car still. Watch the tach & make sure to give enough gas to keep the rpm's at least at 5300 or you'll lose the burnout or stall as you said...
Ron

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great advice Dr. Ron. Hopefully come friday i'll be able to put it all to good use and have some nice timeslips to show for it. I did a lil practice on the street(when the proper opportunities came) w/ coming out of first gear harder and am defintley finding it much easier by having the clutch up higher as oppposed to lower. Now i just gotta get a better feel for the throttle(was still hopping the wheels a little..street tires blah....but not close to as much as b4). I'm hoping for the best at the track, i guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice guys...if anyone's going to e-town friday let me know.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
DisturbedZ06 said:
Thanks for the great advice Dr. Ron. Hopefully come friday i'll be able to put it all to good use and have some nice timeslips to show for it. I did a lil practice on the street(when the proper opportunities came) w/ coming out of first gear harder and am defintley finding it much easier by having the clutch up higher as oppposed to lower. Now i just gotta get a better feel for the throttle(was still hopping the wheels a little..street tires blah....but not close to as much as b4). I'm hoping for the best at the track, i guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice guys...if anyone's going to e-town friday let me know.
The corvette challenge is on Saturday this weekend and starts at 3. If you can go I'll get there at 2:00 and help you out. Friday night I won't run my car but if that's the only day you can go, I'll see if I can swing it. Saturday would be perfect. There will be 80+ vettes there.
Burnout: As Ronnie said you need to dump the clutch and get on the brake fast.
I think your problem is not heating up the tires. Those tires should stick like glue and put u in the 1.6x range. We have to get rid of that wheelhop, its bad for et's and worse for the car itself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much is it to run at the shootout...$30? I'm supposed to be moving this weekend out to pa(4 months of auto training yay). So I don't know if i can do saturday or not, i'll know for sure in a day or so. If i can't make it saturday i'll be sure to make it out to the next shoot out. I've been spending alot of time in the car the last few days and am defintley getting much more comfortable/confident with it. I'll post back asap and let you know if i can make it out saturday or not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blah, ...I regretfully can't make it sat(or even friday) out to e-town due to a variety of moving obligations....hopefully however i'll be able to make it out next weekend...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts