Corvette Z06 Forum banner

typical launch RPMs outside the dragstrip?

• Fastest I routinely launch is 1500 RPM

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Fastest I routinely launch is 2000 RPM

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Fastest I routinely launch is 3000 RPM

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Fastest I routinely launch is 4000 RPM

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Fastest I routinely launch is 5000 RPM

Votes: 3 6.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I'm the only one on the planet who's never launched his Z over about 2000 RPM.

Mine has seen full throttle runs to >6500 RPM plenty enough, and the rev limiter three or four times, but to me it's always seemed abusive to the car to launch a 400 HP vehicle at high RPMs.

Just wondering if there's anybody else out there, or if i'm some kind of freak :). Plus, it's not like many other cars can hang with a Z even if you launch it from idle.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I never really launch the car on the street...just ease the clutch out and take off. I do pretty much the same thing at the drag strip. I guess that's why I run crappy times. :D

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
I never run mine at the drag strip so, no I don't launch at high RPM with any regularity. That doesn't preclude the [very] occasional smoky takeoff. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
In Pro Solo we use a Drag Strip type start with XMas Tree.

The launch RPM's all depend on tires and surface conditions. We have used launch RPM's between 2,000 and 4,500.

I would really like to see Launch Control added as the Ferrari Stradale has. Here you pick the RPM and select "LC" ON and the computer then controls everything else for best possible launch time.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJWorm said:
I would really like to see Launch Control added as the Ferrari Stradale has. Here you pick the RPM and select "LC" ON and the computer then controls everything else for best possible launch time.
That would be cool. I would guess that requires the car to have control of the clutch as well as the throttle/etc, so goes hand in hand with those F1-style paddle shifters?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm - meant to post this in Grandstand, not the racing section, since it's mostly meaning to ask about street use. Sorry 'bout that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
novetteyet said:
Hmm - meant to post this in Grandstand, not the racing section, since it's mostly meaning to ask about street use. Sorry 'bout that.

oops I guess i didnt fully read the poll question.. off the strip usual driving i just ease out of the light.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you launch over say 2500(depending on temp and road temp) on street tires on the street you'll likely spin anyway. So, not real abusive almost like doing a small burnout and not gonna get u very far.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I moved it to the Racing section because you weren't getting any response in Grandstand and the racers are mainly the ones responding.

You also shouldn't be "launching" on the street, especially at 5 grand. Tsk Tsk

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
DJWorm said:
I moved it to the Racing section because you weren't getting any response in Grandstand and the racers are mainly the ones responding.

where does it say "on the street" in this thread?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
DJWorm said:

I didnt see the later post about on the street :blush: , so Im changing my answer, I have never really launched it to race on the street, but if I did it would be nothing over 2500 rpm IF that, the z06 is the most worthless street racer ever, with F1s and 32psi on cold street and tires it is on ice, and It feels like it too, we have traction problems on 2nd gear and in the winter 3rd comes into play too, so 1st is out of the question on the street :yeadog:

·
Registered
864 Posts
novetteyet said:
That would be cool. I would guess that requires the car to have control of the clutch as well as the throttle/etc, so goes hand in hand with those F1-style paddle shifters?
The F430 has gone one step further and has a computer controlled electronic differential to aid in acceleration and roadholding at the limit.
Torque is continuously distributed between the wheels via two sets of friction discs (one for each driveshaft) controlled by a hydraulic actuator. The amount of torque actually transmitted to the driven wheels depends on driving conditions (accelerator pedal angle, steering angle, yaw acceleration, individual wheel rotation speed) and brings considerable advantages in terms of performance, direction stability, active safety and handling feedback. Again, F1 racing was a vital testbench that enabled Ferrari’s engineers to develop a highly sophisticated system that perfectly matches the requirements of a road car designed to reach over 315 km/h and generate considerable cornering forces.

The electronic differential actively helps reduce Fiorano lap times by 3 seconds compared to the 360 Modena. For the driver, the E-Diff increases handling balance and grip (which noticeably improves acceleration), improves roadholding on the limit and also guarantees even better steering feel.

Cool stuff.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I drove a C6 last weekend around a small track at the GM outdoor car show in Dallas and it bogged bad when I rolled into it off the line. I thought it would at least lung off the line. I shoudl have popped the clutch a bit. It was a fundrive and an impressive car though. I also recently drove an SL600 Mercedes and I rolled on to the throttle in that and it baked the tires. That thing was a torque monster and very quick. I do believe the 11.7-11.9 QT mile times people have been getting out of them. I can't imagine the SL65 AMG. The new Z06 is just going to be phenominal. Good times to be car guys.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
355Spider said:
I drove a C6 last weekend around a small track at the GM outdoor car show in Dallas and it bogged bad when I rolled into it off the line. I thought it would at least lung off the line. I shoudl have popped the clutch a bit. It was a fundrive and an impressive car though.

I believe what happen was not your fault on the launch, Theres a Torque managment algorithm on LS2 equiped chevys, By what I hear some get effected more then others, I heard some dont even feel, most c6s cant get out of the 13s because of it, can you imagine a GTO thats not so effected by it run a high 12, versus a C6 that is extremely effected by it and runs a low 13 :screwy: either way it does make it unconsistent, but for a fact its plain Stupid :bmad: to have such a thing on a vette, whats the point of having it if you want to have the full power and no be able to use it :screwy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts