Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 Z06 about a month ago. I'm happy with the handling, and the shocks are pretty soft which makes it nice for the bumpy mountain roads i like to drive it on, and it makes it really nice on the freeway.

I noticed there is a lot of odd weight transfter characteristics that i'm not used to. It could be cause it's the first car i've owned with such a wide wheelbase and fat tires. Throttle changes make a really big difference also, which could be attributed to a strong differential.(i'm assuming it's strong)

So basically my question is. How would it affect handling if vette's had coil spings. Because the leaf spring is transverse mounted, i cant help but to think it would affect the opposite side of the car more when turning or going over bumps. Basically, if the car had the same shock valving, the same effective spring rates but used coil springs instead, would it handle any better or feel any different?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The official line from Chevy is that the Corvette composite leaf springs are just as good as coil-overs and by virtue of their center mounting points, there is NO "cross talk". It is proffered that the mounting points isolate one side of the spring from the other so as to allow them to function independantly. They actually give good performance, that is adequate for the street. (kinda)

Many users and racers feel differently and say that suspension harmonics are transfered thru the spring AND thru the close mounting points of the frame/subframe. Although the transverse leafs may function adequately when undergoing the same forces such as braking and acceleration and low speed shaft deflexions; they become suspect when different loads are applied such as in cornering and in high speed shaft deflexions (bumps) and transitions.

Besides being truely independant in suspension function, coil-overs allow tailoring of the individual corner spring rates, corner weights, ride heights and easy seperate adjustment. The transverse spring does NOT allow individual corner spring rates nor seperate adustment of ride height & corner weight as one effects the other.

That being said, I do not recommend coil-overs for a purely street driven car or dual use car. Except in a class that allows extensive suspension modifications such as SCCA's SM2 or a truely dedicated race car.

You can tailor the OEM suspension by lowering, aligning, improving the bushings, adding T1 swaybars and better shocks first. Even better Transverse leaf springs.

Adding coil-overs sould be the last modification done. They sometimes require extensive testing to get them right. And if they are set up wrong they can be worse than the transverse leaf spring(s).

I also recommend building a coil-over system based on AT LEAST a double adjustable racing shock such as Penske's, Moton's or JRZ's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the technical aspects. Since the vette is my daily driver, and i'm building a drift car on the side, i dont think i'm gonna have enough money to buy yet another car to daily drive and make the vette a track slut.

Most of the reason i wanted to get coilovers was to customize the spring rates, but that's not really a priority for recreational canyon driving and weekend track days. I had coilovers on my previous 2 cars and i'm used to the stiffness and characteristics of changing ride height and shock damping levels.

I think the most i will ever get around to will be Koni Yellow's, T1's and RA1's but i'd like to go an inch wider on my rims. And maybe lower it half an inch and get a custom alignment. Thanks for your response again.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
For me, the suspension on the Vette is terrible. My car has 19" wheels, T1 sway bars, and is lowered quite a bit. It feels like it has no suspension at all. I feel every bump in the road. I'm hoping that the addition of LG coilover kit will remedy this. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
971 Posts
No, I have an MSI coil over setup with many street miles. There is no comparison at all, to the old leaf setup.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks mate, that's what I was hoping. I love the Vette, but totally hate the suspension. No idea why they continue to use bleedin leaf springs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you strictly track your car? If that's it in the sig then it's a stinkin beast..and i love it. Would coilovers make more of a difference on a street car that saw more suspension travel and bumpier roads?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
FYI: If you want the ultimate in coilovers Moton has just released the 4 way adjustables used on the C5R/C6R.

$10,200 for a set of 4 without the springs...add the springs and hydralic spring mounts and we're talk'n $10,500.

Send me your email at:

[email protected]

and I will send you some pics

·
Registered
229 Posts
if you just drive on the street i put 04 shocks on my 01 and the ride is much better and they handle bumps better including when i hit a bump going thru a curve the car is much more stable.the rear end does not bounce any more hitting a bump in a curve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would first check and record tire pressures before and after a hard drive. Alot of times a small amount of deflation in a tire can really feel like a bigger problem. (please excuse this if you have checked already). Older shocks can feel kinda floaty and bouncy as well. I just replaced my Z51 shocks with Koni Sa's and it is a huge difference. If budget is an object just get a set of the 04 Z06 shocks as they are nice as said before. I would also consider an alignment before replacing anyting as well as this can correct a handling problem.

Good luck

Derek

·
Registered
299 Posts
We are racing our 54 car in SCCA ITE Class. I changed to LG coilover in the beginning of the season, I was concerned that maybe I had made a mistake as we were not unhappy with the stock leafs. But now that we have used the coilovers I don't think I would trade back. Lou did the ground work on the shock and the spring pressure. We set ride height and corner weight. They work great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts