Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z is in for an oil change, and a leaking gutter. They called me an said the rear diff cover is leaking, and it will be $850 to fix it. They have to remove the differential to replace the seal. This seems insane to me. I know some of you have torn into the rear end. Does this sound right?

They also said due to my high mileage (40k) I should have the fuel filter replaced $85, Throttle body cleaned $125, and fuel injection system cleaned, $140.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Is the car older than 36 months? If it not ask them to have GM fix it under warranty as a good will gesture as it only a few thousand out of warranty. For all you know it could have leaking for 10,000 miles or more.
If the they are willing tell them you are willing to pay there prices for fuel filter replaced $85, Throttle body cleaned $125, and fuel injection system cleaned, $140 which probably are even necessary. If not I'd shop around. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunatly, the car is over 36 months old. You would think a $50k car would have a longer warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
3Pedal_Z06 said:
They called me an said the rear diff cover is leaking, and it will be $850 to fix it. They have to remove the differential to replace the seal. This seems insane to me. I know some of you have torn into the rear end. Does this sound right?

They also said due to my high mileage (40k) I should have the fuel filter replaced $85, Throttle body cleaned $125, and fuel injection system cleaned, $140.
Don't know how many plates there are, but I had my left diff seal replaced (under warranty). It requires pulling the half shaft; not removing the diff. Jub Jub on the forum has a DIY on same.
Don't have the owners manual at hand but from what I've read here, fuel filter replacement sounds reasonable.
Throttle body cleaning sounds pricey ... can be a DIY if you feel like doing so. I think there's a thread on that here.
FI system cleaning seems pricey; can be addressed thru Chevron Techron adds to fuel ... unless something more immediate or aggressive is indicated.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the fuel system side, I am not seeing any problems, and they called them preventative. I am just amazed that they threw that in with the $675 to fix the leaking gutter (I know they caused the problem last year, but with it taking a year to notice, they don't think so) $850 to replace a seeping seal on the diff, and then all this fuel system stuff.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am experiencing the leaking gutters on both sides now. I am taking it in to have repaired (under warrenty).

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
there was a tsb.. shouldnt they fix it even with warrenty over ?

not recalled.. but tech bulletin..

i would contact a gm rep in your region.. the dealer should give you info..
or...

search this site..
there was a link to all of the gm reps by region. here....
i did mine.. and got the BCM replaced after warrenty was over..
that was over 800$ !!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
As shown in the great tutorial above, to replace the seals on the side, you do not have to pull the diff. However, if the leaking seal is the one between the diff and the tranny that is another story. From your description, it sounds like your is the more common side axle seal.

As a note, I wouldn't take that leak to lightly. I had mine start to leak then fail during a race earlier this year. I lost over half my diff fluid in a 26 lap race. Luckily the diff held up to the finish, though it got so hot I had a tranny high temp warning and that with a tranny cooler.

As a note, $85 for a fuel filter change is extremely high. If you are brave enough to try it yourself, all you need is a $5 fuel line separator (which I bought at the local autoparts store) and some Rhino Ramps to get the car up. The filter is in the RR on the inside of the main frame rail.

AMSOIL carries a fuel filter for the 02 Z06. Part number is GF336. While I can't quote prices online, I will say the cost is less than half the price you quoted above.

I do think it is a good idea to change out the fuel filter every few years. I had an intermitent fault that I finally troubleshot to a partially clogged fuel filter. However, in my case, race fuel is notoriously dirty so that likely contributed to my problem.
:cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only thing that sounds remotely reasonable is the fuel filter. The filter itself is fairly expensive and they're probably charging 1 hour labor to replace it.

The rest is complete BS. Throttle body cleaning? $125? You can clean it yourself with 15 mins and a sponge. Fuel system cleaning is a joke, most of that fuel system cleaner is bad for your car anyway. Not to mention, if you really want to run it, using whatever fuel system cleaner, you can do it yourself for a few bucks. (like, $10 or less).

Get the seal leak replaced under the TSB. Even if you don't, it's fairly easy to get to and replace. Maybe 1-2 hours labor and minimal cost of parts (just updated seals). $850 is insane. Literally insane.

I mean basically, you're getting charged $1200 for less than $100 in parts and maybe 2 hours of labor TOPS (I'm being generous). $550 per hour labor? That must be a helluva shop.

Dope

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh and what's this $675 for gutter repair? What gutter are you talking about? I can't think of anything that resembles a gutter on the car that should cost that much to replace, even at a stealership.

Finally, why are you still going there when you're convinced they caused this problem in the first place? Run!

Dope

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
wvphoto said:
there was a tsb.. shouldnt they fix it even with warrenty over ?

not recalled.. but tech bulletin..

i would contact a gm rep in your region.. the dealer should give you info..
or...

search this site..
there was a link to all of the gm reps by region. here....
i did mine.. and got the BCM replaced after warrenty was over..
that was over 800$ !!!
TSB's Bulletins for 2003 Chevrolet Corvette

03-04-20-006 NOV 03 Drivetrain - Rear Differential Fluid Leak :z:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dope said:
Oh and what's this $675 for gutter repair? What gutter are you talking about? I can't think of anything that resembles a gutter on the car that should cost that much to replace, even at a stealership.

Finally, why are you still going there when you're convinced they caused this problem in the first place? Run!

Dope
They called it a gutter, I didn't know the car had one. The black plastic seam/seal that runs over the roof parallel to the door was broken last summer (no idea how that happened), so I took it in for replacement under warrenty. Since the leak showed up there, I assumed they screwed it up. At first, they insisted that they had nothing to do with it. Apparently there is a section of glue missing, and that is causing the leak. After we read through their notes from the last time it was in, and it clearly stated that they reglued that area, they agreed to repair it no charge. (Of course a manager had to be brought in. :mah: )

I really had only 1 dealing with them before, and I thought it was alright until the car started to leak. While I am alway worried about going to a dealership for anything, I thought I was alright. Of course, when they called me and the first thing they asked was if I had an extended warrentty, I knew i was in trouble.

Once they fix the leak, I will deal with the rest my self.

·
Registered
878 Posts
hopefully, you didn't have your dif serviced at that dealer earlier..they could have overfilled it which can happen-mine spit out fluid ..at about 5-7k miles on it-i think a tsb mentioned that some were overfilled from factory-i had the dif serviced-and have not had a leak-overflow since :-?

·
Registered
270 Posts
3Pedal_Z06 said:
They called it a gutter, I didn't know the car had one. The black plastic seam/seal that runs over the roof parallel to the door was broken last summer (no idea how that happened), so I took it in for replacement under warrenty. Since the leak showed up there, I assumed they screwed it up. At first, they insisted that they had nothing to do with it. Apparently there is a section of glue missing, and that is causing the leak. After we read through their notes from the last time it was in, and it clearly stated that they reglued that area, they agreed to repair it no charge. (Of course a manager had to be brought in. :mah: )

I really had only 1 dealing with them before, and I thought it was alright until the car started to leak. While I am alway worried about going to a dealership for anything, I thought I was alright. Of course, when they called me and the first thing they asked was if I had an extended warrentty, I knew i was in trouble.

Once they fix the leak, I will deal with the rest my self.
Good call, I know the gutter you speak of. I just replaced the entire passenger side (the metal channel, and the weatherstripping, etc), for under $200 because mine was leaking too. $675. Wow. I used GM parts from a GM dealership no less.

Dope

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dope said:

Dope
What exactly is the gutter leak???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts