Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,

So I just bought this 01' Z and told myself it is just for driving as is, but I just can't take it..... I have to do something. So, I figured to appease myself right now, I would start off w/ the least invasive mods right now and go from there. I have an idea, but wanted to get some advice before I do anything.

1. CAGS
2. Zip tie mod... (unless there is another significantly better)
3. 03' MAF or something???? yes, no??
4. under drive crank pulley
5. pcm tuning.

Would I notice anything from these mods??

I live in an apartment and don't know anyone well enough yet to tear into my car in their driveway....... so keep that in mind.

thanks fellas...
danny

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If you do a pulley you might as well do a cam...it's pretty invasive. I'd do a blackwing or other air intake and headers...get a tune and edit cags out. I would not change the maf. :cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Chirodan -

CAGS - gone! 15 minute mod if it's up in the air enought to get under the car. One cable tie, a pair of side cutters (to trim the cable tie), and finding the plug on the trans - that's about it...the CAGS is just a little plug-in device, completely removeable . :thumb:

Zip Ty mod - I don't recommend - it works for performance, but it does present the opportunity for water to get into the airbox - I know this from personal experience. Some say the hood seal keeps this from happening, but I am not going to risk it. :eek:o:

I would recommend a Halltech Stinger or TRAP cold air intake - The stinger is easy to install in your parking spot - no big deal. :thumb:

Crank pulley? I cannot speak to that one at all. :eek::

Computer tuning - Yes! I felt like I got a big bang for the $ spent with LS1 Edit. I recommend having the tune done after you install the cold air intake. This mod also eliminates the need for a CAGS defeat device, as one of the CAGS initiate thresholds can be set out of practical range so that the CAGS never come into play - and the light never comes on on the dash (this light is still active using the CAGS defeat device, but the solenoid does not actuate).

I know others have done headers and exhaust with success, and that is fairly unobtrusive - but you can run into trouble with header installs if you do not take care of the details - not something a person is likely to accomplish in a parking lot...

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Intake, headers+cat-back, cam and tune. :D

I say no on the MAF and UD pulley.

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas and thanks for the detailed info mqqn.... Although I may still do the zip tie mod since it never rains in El Paso......lol.
now I have a good starting point.

I will do the cags, air intake and the edit and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chirodan said:
Thanks fellas and thanks for the detailed info mqqn.... Although I may still do the zip tie mod since it never rains in El Paso......lol.
now I have a good starting point.

I will do the cags, air intake and the edit and see where that gets me.
Hi Chirodan -

My pleasure!

If you do the Zip Ty mod, just get a hood seal for the area along the front edge of the hood-to-front-fascia area. Some have bought stick-on weather seal from Lowes/Home Depot etc and that seems to work just fine.

I have a 2.5 mb file that you might want to have for your windows wallpaper - it is a picture I took of a friends 01 QS Z06 logo - just click on the link and let it load in your browser , then right click and select the "set as background" option if you are using Internet Explorer.

http://www.iammoon.com/images/qs_z_wallpaper.bmp

Here is what it looks like on my desktop -

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Those mods will net you less than 15 RWHP and not worth the money IMO unless you do Headers and or a cam. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Cam, cam, cam, cam, cam...!

Sorry to be the little devil on your shoulder. :D

Alex :z:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Remember LS1 Edit can take care of the cags.....so don't waste extra money on the cags module.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you are interested in picking up horse power then certainly long tube headers, cold air intake, x-pipe, 178 degree t-stat and a good tune. I wouldn't replace the MAF just take the screen out while you are installing the CAI. A Cat back such as Borla Stinger or B&B Bullet are good for about 10 rwhp but they are more of an attitude adjustment in terms of sound than anything else. The CAI and removing the MAF screen you can do your self. As far headers and tune, I would definitely recommend an experienced vette tuner. A lot of people can use LS-Edit but that is not the same as some who has real experience with a great number of successes on his resume.

I had an 01, base line of 340 rwhp & rwt. Here are the mods and gains that I achieved. All dyno runs were on the same dyno with the same operator.

First I installed:
Breathless Vortex Rammer, HalTech Carbon Fiber Air Bridge, Breathless long tube step headers, x-pipe, 178 t-stat

dyno after the above mods: 375 rwhp 377 rwt

Next mod, Borla Stingers:

dyno after mod: 385 rwhp & 387 rwt

Next mod, Breathless custome tune

dyno after tune: 403 rwhp & 407 rwt

Good luck.

Chirodan said:
ok,

So I just bought this 01' Z and told myself it is just for driving as is, but I just can't take it..... I have to do something. So, I figured to appease myself right now, I would start off w/ the least invasive mods right now and go from there. I have an idea, but wanted to get some advice before I do anything.

1. CAGS
2. Zip tie mod... (unless there is another significantly better)
3. 03' MAF or something???? yes, no??
4. under drive crank pulley
5. pcm tuning.

Would I notice anything from these mods??

I live in an apartment and don't know anyone well enough yet to tear into my car in their driveway....... so keep that in mind.

thanks fellas...
danny

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
01' Z06.... sounds good.

that gives me a good map to work off of.

I will have to see if El Paso has any dyno shops or anything to get my baseline before I start this stuff.

thanks again....

·
Registered
999 Posts
2001Z06 said:
I had an 01, base line of 340 rwhp & rwt. Here are the mods and gains that I achieved. All dyno runs were on the same dyno with the same operator.

First I installed:
Breathless Vortex Rammer, HalTech Carbon Fiber Air Bridge, Breathless long tube step headers, x-pipe, 178 t-stat

dyno after the above mods: 375 rwhp 377 rwt

Next mod, Borla Stingers:

dyno after mod: 385 rwhp & 387 rwt

Next mod, Breathless custome tune

dyno after tune: 403 rwhp & 407 rwt
You got over 400RWHP on a '01 without changing the cam?!?!? I would have to say that is exceptional and should not be considered typical.

JWz06.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It's not unusual at all for Z06s to be around 400 rwhp with the full line of bolt-ons and good tune. There are many that have achieved number.

JWz06 said:
You got over 400RWHP on a '01 without changing the cam?!?!? I would have to say that is exceptional and should not be considered typical.

JWz06.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Mats, partition, shorty antenna...

Sal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts