Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at some et's on the 1/4 mile racing section. Outstanding. Can't wait to run mine.

I was wondering at what RPM are most of you leaving the lights at? I was thinking of leaving at about 2000/2200 RPM with all stock in this 02 bullet.

Any suggestions as to air pressure, RPM, short shifting etc. appreciated.

Thanks,
:guiness:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Launch Tips

The answer to your question is that, assuming you're running a stock Z06, your launch rpm will depend on track conditions. Not wanting to leave it at that...there are a bunch of technique tips on these three threads:

PowerShifter stock tires:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6168&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Ranger on drag radials:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7828

Ranger on stock tires:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4073

Hope this helps,

Ranger

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Great advice, Ranger. What kind of DR's are you using, and what PSI? :cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
TAMUz06 said:
... What kind of DR's are you using, and what PSI?
TAMUz06,

I bought a turn-key pair of BFG 315.35.17 mounted on 12"x17" wheels from Complete Custom Wheel. www.ccwheel.com

I've only got 16 runs on them and need to experiment more with the psi. On the last day of the season, I was running 18-19 psi and did 60' of 1.82, 1.82, 1.79, and 1.70. My DRs also seem to take throttle quicker after full clutch engagement. They like the 12" width wheels. Fit is tight but no rub anywhere.

I don't think the DR are that much quicker than the stock tires but are more consistent for me.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger:

Are you running stock pump gas or GT100 (100 unleaded octane)
?

My ZR1 (sled) didn't make any hp until I had over 3000 miles on it. Have you noticed your engine running stronger as you put the miles on it? I have about 1000 miles on mine now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
George,

I'm running 93 octane pump gas, usually Amoco Ultimate.

My dyno numbers have NOT increased with miles. Car was 335rwhp/334 rwtq bone stock at 1200 miles and after the Tric was 345/349 at 7000 miles and 347/347 on a different dynojet at 13,800 miles.

What has improved with the miles is my driving technique. The Z06 is a hard car to launch well and it's hard to stay off the limiter in 1st and 2d.

But the power is staying about the same.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranger:

I noticed when I used the GT100 fuel my car seem to have more power through all the gears so I have had to short shift 1st especially after launching. I was wondering if the computer may be advancing in more timing with this 100 octane fuel. Whatever it runs stronger.

If I can get a 2.200 to 2.000 the first 60' with stock tires I'll be running well. You know that feeling when the car hooks up early going to get a good time. Seems like it takes me until my last run to get it down. Funny when the tower says "LAST RUN" I suddenly get serious.

:guiness:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Regarding launch improvement, the key really is practice, practice, practice. This can be done on a well selected piece of old asphalt road. Objective is to treat it like the starting line and attempt to get a clean launch leaving less than 10' of rubber without bogging the car.

Can also practice banging through the gears with the engine off. This really improves the muscle memory coordination of right arm/left foot. Obviously no throttle is applied in these dry runs. I'm sure this dry practice, which I also do in the staging lanes, has helped me avoid missed shifts.

I put racing gas in my car only once. Mixed it 50-50 with what was in the tank while at the drag strip. My car didn't show any improvement, it actually lost about a tenth. Course it may just have been my driving.....

Ranger

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've got a set of 16" ET Streets, I'll run them at 15-16 psi and see if I can get down to a 1.7 or so....*crosses fingers*

·
Registered
837 Posts
TAMUz06 said:
I've got a set of 16" ET Streets, I'll run them at 15-16 psi and see if I can get down to a 1.7 or so....*crosses fingers*
TAMUz06, They ought to do it. Just need to learn to do a "ET Sreet-Specific" burn-out. Every type of sticky tire is different. Good luck with them. Let us know how you do.

Ranger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts