Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed LED's in my 2002 Z06 Taillights. Now the turn signals blink too fast. I have read that I need to increase the resistance of the light bulbs in each circuit.

However, I'm not sure how to measure the appropriate resistance to put in.....what to use.....or the best way to increase the resistance. I would like to keep the LED's, but have the turn signals function normally.....can anyone assist?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
LED Tail lights

The LED kit should come with a special flasher.

When I installed them on my 2002 Z06, I had the same rapid flash problem. The seller diagnosed the problem as a faulty flasher. I installed the replacement flasher and the problem was solved!

Good luck! I love my LEDs and get comments about them all the time.

Z06Y Lady :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Z06Y

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't really buy an LED kit....only the bulbs that I ordered online. I love the look and everything works great (stop light, emergency flashers, running lights) except for the turn signals. The rapid blinking is driving me nuts.....a replacement flasher would be a good fix, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to get to the flasher.

Did you buy yours at a local dealer? Do you know if the replacement flasher was stock?

Thanks again for the info....I'm anxious to get mine up and running correctly - that are so sweet!

Thanks for your help!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
LED Tail Lights

You are right that the resistance of the LEDs is different. My kit was made by a company called Adjure LED technology. I bought the lights through LAPD.

On my kit, there is a special connector (pigtail) that adds a second flasher for the tail lights. The pigtail has connector ends that match the current male and female of a connector in the factory harness. This pigtail is inserted into the factory wiring harness by disconnecting a connector under the driver's side dash and plugging the pigtail into the two ends of the factory connector. The original flasher stays in the circuit and flashes the front lights.

The pigtail has a place to plug in the new flasher and the ends of it plug into the existing harness, thereby adding a second flasher to the circuit. When this second flasher was bad, I had the rapid flashing of all the turn signals. Now I hear both flashers clicking when I signal a turn.

I don't know if this helps or not in your case.

Z06Y Lady

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You could maybe fix this problem with a resistor. But the LED bulb you used undoubtedly has a current-limiting resistor in it already, set by the manufacturer based on the requirements of the LEDs themselves.

A series resistor would limit current and might slow the flasher down, but it would also make the LEDs dimmer.

There's really no way to tell you what resistor would work without knowing more about the LEDs. But the OEM Bulb is 28 Watts. That's 2.3 Amps at 12V. Odds are, you'll need a low resistance and high wattage. Your choices are going to be severly limited. If you're in to experimenting, Radio Shack as a part that is at least within the range I'd guess.

You could go here : Radio Shack resistor

And buy one to put in series with the switched side of the Flasher circuit. It'll get hot, so don't mount it anyplace that'd care about heat.

But the real fix is a Flasher that's rated for the current the LEDs pull (which the manufacturer ought to be able to tell you).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts