Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all purchased these wonderful, fast, forgiving beautiful cars.

And if you want to keep it in the garage and wax it on Saturdays and only drive it on Sundays thats OK.

But if you want to do something a little more I'm going to tell you how. I've been asked to write a couple of articles on how to get into racing: AutoX, Pro Solo, Rally, Club Racing, Drag Racing, T1, GT-1, World Challenge and the Big Daddy, full blown sports car racing. I am going to do that over the next couple of months so that we can all have a lot of fun together this summer.

And I really mean it. Talking with everyone over the internet is great. I have a whole new bunch of new friends. Getting together for some beverage and fine dining and a drive on the weekend is fantastic. But these beautiful cars enable us to do a little more, and I want to expand on that.

Before I start writing the series of articles I want to extend an invitation so you all can start planning. So look for the next post.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Cheers DJ, I'm glad you accepted, and I'm sure the members will be looking forward to your racing insight, as I will be.

Spring will be here before we know it and its gonna be a good year!

JC

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
DJ, that'll make for some interesting reading :) Do you plan to expand the articles by following a team for an entire season?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd really like to expand....

.... the idea by getting everybody that's interested involved in the real thing! Then they can post their results here.

·
Registered
510 Posts
All I can say is bring it on! I have been eager to learn more about organized racing:cheers:

·
Registered
457 Posts
:) Hey DJ :)

Tell em to find their local NCCC corvette club first :D

That will hook em up with other corvette racers ;)

Next, they need to contact the local SCCA chapter............and see who-all's involved. :cool:

That's the easyest way to get "hands-on" experience, other than a professional school. :guiness:

Cya
;) Trumper ;)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
DJ,

Is there any racing insurance available from SCCA for my car? I know all auto insurance policies have the famous Racing Exclusion, and won't cover physical damage to the insured vehicle while being used in a racing event on or off the track.

Not talking 'bout my body, as it's heavily insured and Life and Health Policies don't have such exclusions. I'm thinking about my car!!

My first time on a race track, Willow Springs(Big 2 1/2 mile track), in my '93 TT Supra, saw a brand new M3 roll twice coming around turn 2. No serious injuries, but the Bimmer was totaled:(

Not trying to throw "cold water" on your racing plans. I would feel better on the track if my car was insured. But it's probabily not available.....but, maybe it is!

Also, whats been your experience with over aggressive and under experienced drivers?! Have you ever traded paint?

Is the bottom line "if you can't afford to lose it don't use it??"

Just wondering in Kalifornia :-? :)

:guiness:
Barrie

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Mr. DJ,
great news from you, I want to personally thank you. I have been searching for info on autocross/rallye events for the vette and really havent found any concise, printed info on what is involved and how to get started. I attended a few autocross events a few years back in my supercharged Tbird, and relish the thought of trying the Z06 on a track or parking lot full of cones. I look forward to any info you are planning on posting for all types of racing. I have this re-occuring dream, stuck in my head, of a millenium yellow '01 Z06 tearing up mid-ohio racetrack, with me behind the wheel....:z:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts