Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to talk about headers for the Z06.

Adding a set of headers is not a cheap mod to make. With an average cost of around $900, plus install $3-600, one could easily spend $1500.

For 2001 Chevy switched to a cast manifold which they claim flows better than the stainless headers of the 97-00. Bearing this in mind, is there much to be gained bolting on a set of aftermarket headers?

Obviously switching to long tubes will eliminate the pre-cats, and consequently will show a decent gain. But in doing this, you can face SMOG issues in the future.

If you have headers on your Z06, please post here and indicate the total cost (price + install), power increase on dyno (if available), and your personal impressions of them, and if you feel it was worth it.

One last thing. I'd like to discuss the worth of headers on a stock motor, Vs a heads/cam car, Vs a car running nitrous.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
Torch red, solid black interior
!CAGS !BSM
NGK TR6 plugs & Taylor wires
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine dynoed at 335rwhp with a Donaldson and B&B exhaust. With the addition of DRM long tube headers on a different dyno 341rwhp. My Z ran very rich with the addition of headers - 11/1 air fuel ratio, which is the opposite of most people
Price: DRM long tube coated headers $735 Installation $220 additonal parts to make air tube and dip stick work with headers $90. I am currently having stage II heads and cam installed which should realize the hp potential of the headers. I would NOT install headers if I were not doing the heads and cam. Had I not developed the "rich" condition with the headers and gained 15-20rwhp I would recommend them. Good luck!

------------------
2001 Z06 Torch Red/Blk
DRM long tube headers, B&B PRT Quad Ovals, MTI ram air, BPP air duct, Xtreme rolled exhaust plate, B&M ripper with Momo Combat/red, MSD wires, Splitfire plugs, CAGS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JC,

I'd like to make it a public discussion so that everyone can benefit.

BTW, GREAT site. I love the new features, it just keeps on getting better!!!

ZEE 06- Thanks for the info. I bought the hooker shortie headers with the jet hot coating, and have not installed them because I was told that they would not fit. I've decided to sell them and look for something else (if I think the cost it worth the gain). Was moving the air tube a big problem then?

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
!CAGS !BSM
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

[This message has been edited by EvilZ06 (edited 01-19-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
The mechanic that installed my headers told me the air tube was a real pain in the ass.

------------------
2001 Z06 Torch Red/Blk
DRM long tube headers, B&B PRT Quad Ovals, MTI ram air, BPP air duct, Xtreme rolled exhaust plate, B&M ripper with Momo Combat/red, MSD wires, Splitfire plugs, CAGS.

J

·
0 Posts
I went with TPIS long tubes. Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD did the install along with a Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, a B&M Ripper and a Brey Krause Harness Bar. Tony's charges $52.00 per hour for labor. My bill did not break out how much time went into each job but the total labor costs were slightly over 1K. The headers (cermaic coated were $900.00. Tony is anal about getting things right - he put a great deal of time into the installation that I wasn't charged for. Mine was his first Z header install. Anyway he took the time to show me everything under the car. The installation is top quality. Unhappy with the rigidity of the stock parts he designed and installed a second H pipe. There is one before and one after the cats. He also put thermal insulation around brake & refrigerent lines that were close to the headers and tied back the wire harnesses. I estimate about 12 hours of labor for an install like mine now that they know exactly how to do one. With a brand other than TPIS it may be different.

As to the performance gain, I have no dyno numbers but car is MUCH stronger. Before the mods spinning 1st gear from a rolling start was no problem but second was iffy. Now it will spin second easy. Prior to mods it would give a healthy chirp shifting to 3rd at 6000. Now it spins hard on the shift to 3rd (T/C off) and chirps 4th. I don't think there's a lot of gain on the low end but it didn't lose anything either. The big difference is from 3500 up. Bottom line I'm happy with the headers. I expected a significant difference in noise level but it's pretty much the same until you pull the trigger. Tony is installing the GM transmission cooler and modifying my seats for the shoulder harnesses next month. Next year at this time we'll look at a head/cam package. ProAutoTech told me yesterday they just dynoed a new package for a Z - cost about 1600 for the parts and it put more power to the ground than their 460 package

------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ditto everything that JerryL said!

I just got my car back last night, and the computer is still doing the relearn, but I can tell a difference. I'll post more impressions once I get more miles on the car, and the roads aren't wet!

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Z06
Lowered,178 thermostat w/ fan controller, Ripper, !CAGS, B+B PRT w/ Speedway tips, TRIC one-piece with CF Cobra, GMS MAF, and TPIS long tubes
AOL IM: Speedshift

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys!

Has anyone tried the TTS headers on a Z06 yet? I read on CF that Steve Cole was fitting some to a Z06 in his shop, but there were some issues?!

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
!CAGS !BSM
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
We gained 19 rwhp with my DRM headers when the only mods were a K&N and Corsas. Never set any codes, idle was good and they rocked.

------------------
01 Z06-- Quicksilver, modified torch red interior, DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, 11.4 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper
405 rwhp, 380 rwt Minneapolis,Mn
Ron M.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The TTS headers have been fit to a Z06 which will be the same fitment as the LS1 for '01.

They will be out soon.

We will be testing some short tubes in the near future from B&B if they pan out like we think. The '01 manifolds are pretty free flowing as it is, but, a 10-12 RWHP gain is obtainable.

RG

------------------
www.xmotorsports.com

Click here for our Forum Store

[This message has been edited by RG in Dallas (edited 01-21-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts