Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to give my opinion to all members (Many of whom have helped me along the way in answering my questions) now that my Z is done. I had the following mods installed:

LG Long Tube Headers with Random Tech Cats and GM Gaskets

AFR 205 Heads with cosmetic gaskets
LG G5X2 112 Cam Kit from LG with all of the goods - Comp 921 spings, titanium retainers, crome push rods, etc.
Comp R lifters
SVO 30 injectors
Vararam Intake
Jwiss Timing Chain
ASP Underdrive Pulley
Tune160 Thermostat
Tune

I want to thank Lou G at LG Motorsports for all of his expertise and time that he took with me on the telephone. I called him numerous times, and he spent as much time as needed to answer my questions. The quality and fit and finish of LG products are excellent and I am am glad I went with LG. Thanks again Lou.

I also want to thank the tuner I used in Illinois. If anyone is looking for a excellent Corvette installation shop and tuner, please send me a PM. RMPallas told me about this shop, and I can tell you that their work is top notch and I highly recommend them. They took great care of my car and treated my car as it was their own. I will always go back to them for anything my Z needs. Again, if you want their contact information, just send me a PM.

Finally - My car made 445 RWHP and 402 RW Torque. I did not fly cut the pistons and am very happy with the end result. Special thanks to RMPallas, who has helped me along the way as well as all of the other members on this site. I appreciate all of your expertise to the numerous questions I had asked on this site.

Regards,
JG853

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
JG, congratulations on some super numbers with your "new beast"! :jammin: :cheers: Be careful with all that power! Can't wait to go cruisin' with you and feel that 445rwhp in action. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
I bet the car feels night and day after the H/C. Congrats on the #'s.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
SWEET :thumb: :pp:

Peelin' Out
Ted :cheers: :usa:

·
Registered
143 Posts
JG853, that's some beast you made there :thumb:

Interestingly, I'm heading the same way you did. I'm installing the LG headers and was thinking about the heads and cam from LG so I hope you can share some of the knowledge that helped you choose.

Why did you choose the G5X2 cam over the other cams like the G5X3?

What made you choose the AFR heads over the MTI ported LS6?

The LG headers are 1 3/4" size. The myth says if you're installing H/C you need a 1 7/8"; was it indeed just a myth?

Finally, with this power, did the car drivability change? if yes, how drastic?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Glad to hear that you got the results you were looking for. Hope you have a blast with your new found power.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Hitman1 said:
The LG headers are 1 3/4" size. The myth says if you're installing H/C you need a 1 7/8"; was it indeed just a myth?
I've always heard that you should go with a 1 7/8" downtube on big cube motors and stick with the 1 3/4" for stock cubes. The 1 7/8" should give you a little more top end hp at the expense of low end torque. Not a problem with a big cube motor, but it's nice to keep all the low end with stock cubes.

Nice numbers! Did you do a dyno before you added the h/c package? If so, what kind of an increase did you get? What cat back system are you using? The stock Ti exhaust?

Sal

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hitman1 -

Thanks. I chose the G5X2 for a few reasons. First, I liked the specs of the cam and wanted one with a little higher lift (600 - 610). I also wanted a 112 LSA and did not want to fly cut the pistons. Thus, I felt that this was the best fit for me. With the G5X3 at 112 LSA, I believe that you will have clearance issues and thus will need to fly cut. That is up to the individual, but I chose not to fly cut for my own reasons. If you have never heard a 112 LSA cam idle, maybe go check out a show or see if there is a person on this site nearby that can show you there car. I did this with another member on this site, rpallas who lives near by and his car is awesome. I think you will like a 112 LSA over a 114 LSA, but that is just my opinion.

As it relates to the AFR Heads, I read a lot on this on this site and LS1tech.com. I spoke with a lot of members, including J-rod and a few others and they gave me their thoughts. After gatrhering all of the data, I chose the AFR Heads and am very please with them. I would go no other way. Check out flow numbers of these vs. ported heads on this site or LS1tech.com. These heads are excellent and you get what you pay for. Milled heads are good to, so I guess that is a choice that you will have to make (One of many). Another benefit is that I can go back and sell my heads should I wish to doi so to recoup some of the cost. I think the AFR Heads are the best way to go, and mine are milled to 11:1 compression, have Comp 921 springs, titanium retainers, chrome push rods, etc.

All of the LG parts are excellent quality. I am happy I went with LG and Lou took all the time I asked for (Numerous times on the telephone) to explain what I should get for my package, things I needed and did not need. I will continue to use LG for all of my needs based on the quality of the products that I received. There are a number of headers threads out there, I chose LG's as I thought that the fit and finish were the best (I think that the 13/4 are the best for a 346 cubic inch motor). The others are good as well, but since I was going to do a H/C, I wanted to use one vendor and go with a proven formula. I will be adding a FAST Intake and 90 TB next spring, and then the package is complete.

Drivability in the car is excellent. I do not road race or drag race, just wanted something to keep up with the new Z. The power is a lot diffenent, and can only be described as awesome. I sounds mean, is very quick, and I can drive with the air on all day without any start issues or code issues (That is in the tune). I am very glad I did this. It is a lot of fun.

I hope that helps.

Thanks to everyone on the Z06vette.com site and thanks to everyone for their kind responses to my original post.

Regards,

JG853

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Salvador -

I have a Corsa Titanium exhaust. It sounds awesome.

I would post my chart to the site, but I do not know how to do so. Can someone explain?

·
Banned
809 Posts
JG853 said:
Salvador -

I have a Corsa Titanium exhaust. It sounds awesome.

I would post my chart to the site, but I do not know how to do so. Can someone explain?
That's a cool exhaust system! $$ too! Are you running with or w/o mufflers? Did you have to cut anything to get them to work with the LG x pipe?

I'll post your dyno sheet for you if you want. Just email it to me. My email address is: [email protected]

FYI.. If you want to try and post it yourself, click the councours tab on your left and sign in. You can upload photos to the site under your username this way. Then, just copy and paste the URL tag into the "insert image" tab on top of the message box. It's the yellow square with the mountain icon on it.

Sal

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Salvador -

HP Performance Corvettes did my install and I am not sure how they got it to fit, but it sounds good.

I will try to post via your directions. If it does not work, I will send it to you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
JG853 said:
I just wanted to give my opinion to all members (Many of whom have helped me along the way in answering my questions) now that my Z is done. I had the following mods installed:

LG Long Tube Headers with Random Tech Cats and GM Gaskets

AFR 205 Heads with cosmetic gaskets
LG G5X2 112 Cam Kit from LG with all of the goods - Comp 921 spings, titanium retainers, crome push rods, etc.
Comp R lifters
SVO 30 injectors
Vararam Intake
Jwiss Timing Chain
ASP Underdrive Pulley
Tune160 Thermostat
Tune

I want to thank Lou G at LG Motorsports for all of his expertise and time that he took with me on the telephone. I called him numerous times, and he spent as much time as needed to answer my questions. The quality and fit and finish of LG products are excellent and I am am glad I went with LG. Thanks again Lou.

I also want to thank the tuner I used in Illinois. If anyone is looking for a excellent Corvette installation shop and tuner, please send me a PM. RMPallas told me about this shop, and I can tell you that their work is top notch and I highly recommend them. They took great care of my car and treated my car as it was their own. I will always go back to them for anything my Z needs. Again, if you want their contact information, just send me a PM.

Finally - My car made 445 RWHP and 402 RW Torque. I did not fly cut the pistons and am very happy with the end result. Special thanks to RMPallas, who has helped me along the way as well as all of the other members on this site. I appreciate all of your expertise to the numerous questions I had asked on this site.

Regards,
JG853
PM sent :usa:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi,
Lou Gigliotti here.

Thanks for going with LG Motorsports. We truly appreciate your business.

We know you can fly with any airline, so thanks for choosing American......Ops, wrong industry, but right message!

glad you got good results. I have always liked the G5X-2 cam. It is the old stand by, and always produces good power.

Bob Pallas got a ride in my track car with the G5X-3 cam up at Road America a couple of years ago so he knows the feel.

It is only a myth that you need 1 7/8 headers on any engine smaller than a 427cu in. In fact, we got 565rwhp 560rwtq out of our LG Headers on a 427 cu in just recently. Torque is where it is at!

We all drive our cars in a range that is well below the peak hp rpm. So it makes sense to built your package with a big fat power curve rather than a peaky power number with very little mid range.

At any rate, I am sure that you will be happy with the LG/AFR package. And you are correct about resale on the AFR heads.

Thanks again, and happy motoring!

Lou Gigliotti LGM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts