Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently these two header/x-pipe systems are fairly similar in comparison. What would you guys go with and why? The Dynatechs come standard with the high flow cats whereas the LG's do not. That's obviously one of the cons for the LG's. Let me know what u guys think. THANX

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't know about Dynatech but I can speak for LGs...Just read my sig...

Greg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The LG's use a more expensive merge collector and the Supermaxx's do not. The LG's are worth the extra money IMO. Regardless what Headers you buy, they are a nice addition. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I have the Dynatech system, but there is alot of info out there that seems to prove that the LG's make more HP and TQ. Both systems are very high quality all stainless construction. The LG's have a long, race style merge collector and are available with or without cats and a 3' mid section and x-pipe. The Dynatech's have conventional collectors and come with 3" x 2.5" metal matrix cats and a 2.5" center section and x-pipe. There is a big difference in price, which is why I chose the Dynatech's. There are some other very good choices available too, such as Kooks, Breathless and TPIS. I can tell you from experience that the Dynatech's are an easy install, and so are the LG's. Whichever ones you choose, they all sound awesome and will give you significant HP and TQ gains. Good luck! Jim

:zboobie:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I am having the Supermaxx installed today.

I went with them for the price.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I looked everywhere on Z06VETTE.com and over on the dark side for any documented evidence that the LGs make more power than the Dynatechs, and I never found any. I would have spent the extra $$ for the LGs if I thought I would have left anything on the table. I bought the Dynatechs. I'll get a nice ceramic coated tunnel brace for < $200. Maybe a few insulation kits from Thermo-Tec.

Sounds like these are a cinch to install if you know left from right. Keeping the stock Ti catback.

Jim

:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Go with quality, go with LG's. They even have been proven to work well with stroker motors because of the longer primaries.

I would have gone with LG's if I didn't have a chance to build my custom setup.

·
Registered
984 Posts
ST1100 said:
I looked everywhere on Z06VETTE.com and over on the dark side for any documented evidence that the LGs make more power than the Dynatechs, and I never found any. I would have spent the extra $$ for the LGs if I thought I would have left anything on the table. I bought the Dynatechs.
Me too. Install was a snap and they sound great. No regrets.

Rick

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ST1100 said:
I looked everywhere on Z06VETTE.com and over on the dark side for any documented evidence that the LGs make more power than the Dynatechs, and I never found any. I would have spent the extra $$ for the LGs if I thought I would have left anything on the table. I bought the Dynatechs. I'll get a nice ceramic coated tunnel brace for < $200. Maybe a few insulation kits from Thermo-Tec.

Sounds like these are a cinch to install if you know left from right. Keeping the stock Ti catback.

Jim

:cheers: :cheers:
I've got a LG dyno on a 03 with a blackwing if you want to compare. No tune just a Donaldson Blackwing and the LG's with headers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do the DyanMax headers hang below the bottom of the car? I know the stock exhaust fits nicely in the transmission tunnel. I've been checking headers on other peoples cars, a lot hang down about an 1 inch below the bottom of the car, which would seem to scrape a lot..........

How bout it guys, whose collectors are scraped flat on the bottom?

·
Registered
984 Posts
2K3ZO6 said:
Do the DyanMax headers hang below the bottom of the car? I know the stock exhaust fits nicely in the transmission tunnel. I've been checking headers on other peoples cars, a lot hang down about an 1 inch below the bottom of the car, which would seem to scrape a lot..........

How bout it guys, whose collectors are scraped flat on the bottom?
They stick down a little further than stock, LG's probably do too. My car isn't lowered and I've only scraped once (slightly) on steroided speed bump.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine dont, they tuck right up into the trans tunnel. The only thing that hangs down below the floor pan are 2 exhaust clamp bolts which cannot be rotated to fit into the tunnel; maybe I'll cut them off. Mines lowered all the way on stock ft bolts and I have the 7" bolts in the rear, the only thing that scrapes is the air deflector on my driveway approach and the long exhaust clamp bolt over speed bumps.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I researched this forever...

You can find the SuperMaxx headers for about $1250 with cats, and the LG's for about $1750 with cats.

I found no evidence that there was any proven HP gains of LGM over the SuperMaxx without a big head/cam. An old thread with tons of "header gains" numbers further confirmed that both made similar gains.

Both have long primaries, are all 304 stainless, and install easily. They also both hang down about 1/2 an inch. I was amazed with how well put together the SuperMaxx kit was. It came with every gasket, and even those that you really didn't need.

LG's supposedly have better collectors and pricier cats, but I haven't seen the numbers to justify the price diff. They are about 10lb lighter. I also think there is a range from about 430-470rwhp where the LG's will make 5rwhp more. Above that, you should have 1-7/8" headers, below that, they're too close to call.

In the end, the $500 saved could buy me a cam...I went dynatech, and am very happy. I also need to confirm the number on a second dyno to ward of those who will call BS, but I made the largest dyno gains with any header+tune mod I've seen on the Dynatechs. WAY over 40rwhp on a Mustang dyno...

·
Registered
808 Posts
BQuicksilver said:
I researched this forever...

You can find the SuperMaxx headers for about $1250 with cats, and the LG's for about $1750 with cats.

I found no evidence that there was any proven HP gains of LGM over the SuperMaxx without a big head/cam. An old thread with tons of "header gains" numbers further confirmed that both made similar gains.

Both have long primaries, are all 304 stainless, and install easily. They also both hang down about 1/2 an inch. I was amazed with how well put together the SuperMaxx kit was. It came with every gasket, and even those that you really didn't need.

LG's supposedly have better collectors and pricier cats, but I haven't seen the numbers to justify the price diff. They are about 10lb lighter. I also think there is a range from about 430-470rwhp where the LG's will make 5rwhp more. Above that, you should have 1-7/8" headers, below that, they're too close to call.

In the end, the $500 saved could buy me a cam...I went dynatech, and am very happy. I also need to confirm the number on a second dyno to ward of those who will call BS, but I made the largest dyno gains with any header+tune mod I've seen on the Dynatechs. WAY over 40rwhp on a Mustang dyno...

Thanks for the research. :z:

·
Registered
229 Posts
bigbadbevo said:
Comments like this almost make me want to try it myself when the time comes around for my set of LG's...
did my install last week very straight foward with the direction from ls1howto.com on thing i had to add to the directions was removing the drivers side sparkplugs to get that extra 1/4" clearance on that side other then that they went right in, took me a lazy work shift to do. i couldnt be more happy :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts