Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

We are back from the last 2 races. Neither one was very satisfying but both showed promise for the Corvette.

Cleveland:

Qualified our LG Pro Long Tube Header Corvette C6 on the outside pole along side of Max Papis and just ahead of Porsche Cup champ Wolf Henzler. This is a very talanted group of competitors and I was very proud of our qualifying just 16 thousandths of a second off the pole.

For those of you that saw the race on Speed TV, you know that the first turn was a disaster when the Viper of Archer made a foolish move to the inside and took out the top 3 cars in the field. Henzler was damaged so severely, he could not continue and parked it in the grass right there. Papis got hit in the right rear and spun, and I got hit in the right front and Right rear giving my 1/2" of toe in in the rear, 2 broken wheels, a bashed nose and loose splitter.

I continued on wounded but I got put out of my misery when I ran over a piece of blown up Volvo coming on the front straight when the "Chunk" of VOlvo hit an oil line and punctured it. Oil everywhere and I had to park it.

Liddell in a Porsche won the race by a fraction over Max Angelelli in a Caddy.

LIME ROCK:

Well we had a great qualifying run to take the pole and new lap record at a 54.196. This was a great day for the Corvette. We are up against the Factory Cadillac team as well as factory supported Porsche and Viper teams. Max Angelelli and Max Papis were second and thrid by just about 2 tenths of a second.

We were looking for a great race and just wanted to get a reasonable start and set a pace to save the tires for the end of the race. I made it into turn one in 2nd place just behind Max Angelelli. He set the pace and we were just happy to be in second place with no threat from 3rd place. This allowed us to save the tires for the end or when a full course yellow came out.

On my 10th lap, the Volvo blew up in turn one. Rather than staying off course or at least off line, he came back on track right on the racing line and dumped his oil right in our path. Max only slid a little since he was closer he could see the car and smoke coming out. But a couple of seconds later, I cam on the oil and could not see the smoke as a warning and I spun in the oil. I got Volvo'd two weeks in a row!

This spin put me back in 9th place behind the long train of cars fighting for 3rd. It was not until a few cars crashed and spun in the oil that SCCA finally threw the full course Yellow. And no oil flag for 2 laps either.

At any rate, after that I just raced hard and could not pull off the passes that we needed to and only finished 7th behind Pilgrim in the Caddy. The Cleveland winner in the Porsche finished 8th, and Archer in the Viper finished 9th. Archer and I touched slightly going into turn 1 and I think his ABS cought him off guard and he spun. SCCA did not impose any penalties on me.

We are probably going to skip Sears Point (infineon) and Portland to regroup and improve the car. ( and to take care of LG Motorsports). We are out of the points chase and we need to impliment some of the rule changes in our shop rather than on the road, so it makes sense to skip a couple.

We have no budget compared to the Factory teams. I have 2 summer college kids, my son and crew chief Louis jr and 2 volunteers. It is a good thing that we know how to build a good race car.

Our In Car Video will be up from both races. Cleveland is short and sloppy from the damage to the car. But Lime Rock will be interesting. We will include our record Qualifying Lap.

Thanks for all of the support. We know that you have a choice when picking a vendor and tuner and we thank you all for choosing LG Motorsports.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I enjoyed watching you in both races. The car obviously screams,but your luck needs a little work. I'll be looking forward to the video. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Congrats on the efforts Lou, too bad you can't control what others do out there, bad luck...

Mark

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
That's for the report Lou, I see good things in your future :cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Sorry for your misfortunes! :(
Enjoy watching your car on TV, and your informative after race reports...keep 'em coming! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I watched that second race, Limerock, on Speed Sunday. I was happy to see the Vette up front and looked forward to seeing you finish there. Then I saw the oil down and you drop back. Bad luck, but the finish was still good and showed the potential for you and the car.

Good luck in the future, it may be all you need right now.

·
21,382 Posts
At least you get to live your dream Lou and that's what counts. You give it the old "college try" and hope for the best. Best of luck in the future! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Lou,

Comparing your luck and mine, I think you and I might be related somewhere "down the line!" :p

Guys like you and Tiger Tom Oates, running a big race program out of your own pocket, really are inspiring. Keep up the good work!

DMP

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lou - sorry about your luck. I was upset with what happened in Cleveland as well. Congratulations on your fast lap and pole at Lime Rock!! That fast downhill right-hander is awesome! Can't wait to see your in-car. Thanks so much for sharing those with us.

Good luck in the shop. We'll see you back on the track soon.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Lou, sorry about the bad luck too! :roll: Great pole lap at Lime Rock........at least you got some good TV interview time and got to plug the Pro Long Tube Headers. With a little time off, may be your luck with change during the 2nd half of the season. Can't wait to see the onboard videos. Stay loose! :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Lou,

Sorry to hear about your luck, but still it is better to get out there and try than sit on the sidelines. Looking forward to watching the video. :thumb:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all the Corvette guys here for the props.

It sounds like a funeral here. Racing is never easy. We have good and bad races. Having problems that are not caused by our own mistakes are the worse problems but that is racing.

It is just a machine with 4 tires on it. The rules determine how competitive a car is. We have to build it to the Max of the rules and then Drive it to the Max also. Having said that, I am still honored to be racing at such a high level even after crossing over the 50 yard (year) barrier. Like the old saying goes, "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all." Just replace the word "Loved" with "Race" and that says it all.

This was the first pole for the Corvette in over 25 races which says alot about the rules and their agenda.

I am disapointed but I do not feel sorry for myself. Feeling 1.6 G in this Corvette is an amazing feeling. That was correct, 1.6 G's of cornering power with this World Challenge race car. And knowing that plus the fact that the Corvette C6 is not the best cornering car in the series, you can see how much down force the rules have given other cars if we are below the top with 1.6 G's.

We have requested a more aggressive hood louver set up for the Corvette to get the downforce of the Corvette closer to the other cars. If that happens, then we will be able to compete on a level playing field for whatever races we attend later in the season.

It is essential that the Corvette be legislated on a level playing field. To have a GTO sedan legislated to be equal with a Corvette demonstrates how the rules are used to pull one car or another up to parity. I can only hope that the Corvette is allowed to compete on a fair basis.

Thanks again for all the support and we look forward to working with you all to make your Corvette faster and better handling.

See you at the races,

Lou Gigliotti LGM

·
Registered
971 Posts
Constructive Notice to GM

Hey, FACTORY A**HOLES. Yes, the GM spys that read forum, that bother spending globs of money on the C6R, bother spending globs of money on a huge booth and stupid thirty seconds ads. Do you want to see Corvette's in the paddacks at Laguna or Porshes? One of the biggest corporate f-up's I seen for a long time. Someone with a weiner, make a phone call.

Lou has proven himself through-out numerous events over the years wearing your label. Best advertising you can get. TV coverage with his car near the front. David Farmer needs some help too. This is grass roots racing at its best. Make an advertisment out of it as well as well as some free articles and press releases to magasines. How much do you pay for ad? You might sell a few extra vettes to people that were considering buying something else.

Thoughts.
1) Tractor trailor them to track.
2) Supply them tires.
3) Provide them with logistic support off the C6R team or Cadillac team. They are there at the same time.
4) Get them the support they need with the series to run an LS7 motor next year. Give them about five prepped motors and stick them on that trailer.
5) Give them the support they need for the series.
6) Lets see, you spend about $5M to run two factory cars in Alms. These two guys could make 50-100k go a long ways.

Etc., etc., etc.

This comes from a major shareholder of several corporations that has had to pay to get out a logo on a car.

I can't make Infenion on the 15th, but when I am at Laguna Seca, I am going to give the GM guys a piece of my mind. Maybe at the Pebble Beach Concours as well. We had the box right next to them last year.

Good luck to you Lou and get your kids through school.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Lou -

Don't forget, Paul Newman didn't start racing until he was well into his 50s, and managed to rack up a few championships. Theres still hope for you :)

Grim -

Why not some sort of contingency setup from GM? Run a Chevy, place, get a small bundle of cash. Extra $$ for poles, most laps led, etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I second that!!

Grim Reaper said:
Hey, FACTORY A**HOLES. Yes, the GM spys that read forum, that bother spending globs of money on the C6R, bother spending globs of money on a huge booth and stupid thirty seconds ads. Do you want to see Corvette's in the paddacks at Laguna or Porshes? One of the biggest corporate f-up's I seen for a long time. Someone with a weiner, make a phone call.

Lou has proven himself through-out numerous events over the years wearing your label. Best advertising you can get. TV coverage with his car near the front. David Farmer needs some help too. This is grass roots racing at its best. Make an advertisment out of it as well as well as some free articles and press releases to magasines. How much do you pay for ad? You might sell a few extra vettes to people that were considering buying something else.

Thoughts.
1) Tractor trailor them to track.
2) Supply them tires.
3) Provide them with logistic support off the C6R team or Cadillac team. They are there at the same time.
4) Get them the support they need with the series to run an LS7 motor next year. Give them about five prepped motors and stick them on that trailer.
5) Give them the support they need for the series.
6) Lets see, you spend about $5M to run two factory cars in Alms. These two guys could make 50-100k go a long ways.
I couldn't agree more. :yeadog:

Its a shame. They wont support Lou, but they'll spend millions on engineering a new POS Buick...??? Give me a F'in break.

Dumb Ass Marketing + Dumb Ass Management = Ultimate Failure (Bye-Bye Dummy)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts