Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Even after over 1000 sets of LG headers we still have some installers hook the 02 sensors up incorrectly.

This has been covered in many install writeups but for the record I will just clarify again.

on 2003 and earlier we use the rear 02 sensor in the front for 2 reasons. first the length of the wire is helpful but also the wattage of the sensor is higher. the higher wattage will allow the heater circut to avoid the "Insuficient switching" code.
the length of the wire is necessary to hook to the front recepticals but the plug shape is different. We supply the necessary adapter to use the rear 02 in the front position.

Then for the rear 02s you will either have to use an 02 simulator, LS1 edit or install another rear 02 sensor in the original rear location behind the cats. If this method is used then a new pair of sensors will be needed. I usually use the newer sensors in the front.

On 04 cars, we supply an extension cord to connect the original front sensors in the original front location. The front Sensere in the 04 Vette is unique and has to be used in its original front location to work properly,

the other major thing to remember is to plug the sensor that is reading the right side collector into the right side of the harness and the drivers side sensor must be connected to the driver's side harness.

The confusion comes in because the 02 sensors "Point" in the opposite direction from where they have to go so the wires have to be routed back to the correct side.

Symptoms:
If the sensors are not hooked correctly the car will hesitate badly after it is up to temp. initially the when the car is in "open loop" it will run fine. But as soon as it goes into closed loop the 02 sensors being connected to the wrong side give false readings and cause the car to stumble badly then when floored, it will feel right.

The cure is to switch the 02 sensors to the correct side and off you go.

Thanks and if any of you have any questions feel free to contact me via phone or email. [email protected]

Thanks
LOU G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Left wire goes to left header
Right wire goes to right header
It is like putting shoes on in the morning

PRETTY SIMPLE LOU!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
22655TD said:
Left wire goes to left header
Right wire goes to right header
It is like putting shoes on in the morning

PRETTY SIMPLE LOU!!
You would think. I bet I've seen 2 dozen posts about folks that have done it wrong. :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT L GO said:
You would think. I bet I've seen 2 dozen posts about folks that have done it wrong. :rofl:


In the early stages of our LG Pro Long Tubes there were many posts by all of you who instslled your own headers and found this out. That information was passed along on the forums and all was ok.
It seems now that some shops that are installing the headers don't read the forums or the instructions.

Thanks
Lou G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,957 Posts
It seems now that some shops that are installing the headers don't read the forums or the instructions. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Lou and sorry to imagine shops that don't READ instructions..

Nice product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
It seems now that some shops that are installing the headers don't read the forums or the instructions. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Lou and sorry to imagine shops that don't READ instructions..

Nice product.
Not a shop I would want to go to. :screwy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
L G Motorsports said:
Hi guys,

Even after over 1000 sets of LG headers we still have some installers hook the 02 sensors up incorrectly.

This has been covered in many install writeups but for the record I will just clarify again.

on 2003 and earlier we use the rear 02 sensor in the front for 2 reasons. first the length of the wire is helpful but also the wattage of the sensor is higher. the higher wattage will allow the heater circut to avoid the "Insuficient switching" code.
the length of the wire is necessary to hook to the front recepticals but the plug shape is different. We supply the necessary adapter to use the rear 02 in the front position.

Then for the rear 02s you will either have to use an 02 simulator, LS1 edit or install another rear 02 sensor in the original rear location behind the cats. If this method is used then a new pair of sensors will be needed. I usually use the newer sensors in the front.

On 04 cars, we supply an extension cord to connect the original front sensors in the original front location. The front Sensere in the 04 Vette is unique and has to be used in its original front location to work properly,

the other major thing to remember is to plug the sensor that is reading the right side collector into the right side of the harness and the drivers side sensor must be connected to the driver's side harness.

The confusion comes in because the 02 sensors "Point" in the opposite direction from where they have to go so the wires have to be routed back to the correct side.

Symptoms:
If the sensors are not hooked correctly the car will hesitate badly after it is up to temp. initially the when the car is in "open loop" it will run fine. But as soon as it goes into closed loop the 02 sensors being connected to the wrong side give false readings and cause the car to stumble badly then when floored, it will feel right.

The cure is to switch the 02 sensors to the correct side and off you go.

Thanks and if any of you have any questions feel free to contact me via phone or email. [email protected]

Thanks
LOU G
I didn't get any adapters with the headers I bought in Jan 05, did you just start providing them and/or can I buy them separately? I have had issues with the 02 wiring since, may be resolved now but I would like to get the correct setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
my car is an 03, i put the fronts back in front with your extensions and the rears back in rear with a little wire rerouting. the car runs fine with no codes... think this will be allright?

thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Colin Frolick said:
my car is an 03, i put the fronts back in front with your extensions and the rears back in rear with a little wire rerouting. the car runs fine with no codes... think this will be allright?

thank you
No codes is good. I'd call Lou and ask his opinion. :cheers:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top