Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering LG made his money marketing people to can their Corvette warranty and to violate EPA smog laws I think this was pretty stupid
Since links I guess are not allowed do a search for Jalopnik blog as of today.

In part :

LG has sued General Motors for antitrust violations, saying it conspired with tire maker Michelin to hobble a private competitor to GM's factory-owned Corvettes in American and international road racing.

The lawsuit from LG Motorsports, filed in a Texas state court, claims GM's racing executives "sought to accomplish through closed-door deals what they could not do on the track — stopping LG Motorsports and its C6 Corvette." And while anyone can run to a courthouse, the source of this complaint isn't someone who's used to leaving the track with an outcome in doubt.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
This could get very interesting, might turn into a "David vs. Goliath" soap opera. Better get out the :pop: and :guiness:

·
Registered
146 Posts
No one ever said Louis G was smart!!!!! Actually if you talk to him in person you get the complete opposite effect. Its more like a I'm god and everything I do is pure gold cause I'm LG the great and I pee dollar bills!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
The French tiremaker dominates Le Mans racing, winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans 12 years running. Yet Michelin will not sell tires to LG Motorsports, despite providing tires to several other manufacturers and private race teams. Without them, "racing in Le Mans is a lost cause," the suit says.

Gigliotti says after putting off his requests for more than a year, Michelin told him directly in August 2009 that GM did not want LG Motorsports to have Michelin tires. Michelin even barred LG from using over-the-counter race tires bought by other private teams by labeling them "non-approved."
I can't understand why Michelin would bend over for GM and go along with something clearly underhanded, then come right out and openly admit it to LG.

If this lawsuit gets LG the Michelin tires that they need to win the race, then he did what he had to do. Maybe there was a better way to handle the situation, but until we hear all of the details, we won't know for sure.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
No one ever said Louis G was smart!!!!! Actually if you talk to him in person you get the complete opposite effect. Its more like a I'm god and everything I do is pure gold cause I'm LG the great and I pee dollar bills!
I guess my feelings about Lou are well know so all I can say is....I agree wholeheartedly with your post!!!

Mike

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I highly doubt GM nor Michelin would even know or could control over the counter tire sales from private parties and waiting 2 years to file suit against Michelin, GM, and the Team Corvette race director smells.
GM might have Michelin built race tires to GM specs as a customer and if so of course GM would not allow those tires to be sold as they own the specs nor could Michelin sell those tires to anyone else.

Smaller example but call Bosch and ask them for the design specs of the fuel injectors GM uses in the Corvette and their answer would be they cannot sale product or specs of what they are in contract with the customer who spec'd and buys them

Everyone recalls as the norm with LG his car burned up at some race and he was forced to find another. If he made a bad deal buying it that is his fault and nothing to do with GM.
I hope GM makes an example of him and he better hope they do not go after him for use of any GM trademarks he uses to make profits from and with the crappy economy is stupid to be making GM pissed off at him or his business

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ms Cathy sued GM and won, I hope LG wins too.
That would be like a toyota Nascar team suing GM to make them give that team GM's race engines to compete against them

LG is not under any GM contract for any of their race parts, designs or specs.

Maybe LG should worry more about the cheap non American headers he sells for high profits rather then making this public lawsuits known worldwide.

·
9,755 Posts
I'm no huge fan of LG, but that would be pretty sh!tty of GM to block them from getting tires. Especially if other teams were allowed to buy them. The whole thing sounds a bit far-fetched. :-?

·
Registered
28 Posts
well without all of the information of the suit, I would think he should have been sueing Michelin and not GM, as it was Michelin that chose to not sell him tires. He could sue GM for conspericy tho

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've been in the car business a long time, both in sales (still), and as an aftermarket vendor/mfr. The old adage of "you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time" certainly holds true.

I always tried to keep "politics" out of the equation. There will always be some that don't like you, some that do. The proof is in the pudding. If you supply a product or service, and people buy it, then that's the proof.

I've never had a problem w/LG's product - or their service. Don't know LG personally, don't really need to. As long as his products function as advertised and his customer svc. dept. handles any issues in a timely and satisfactory manner, I'll recommend them.

As to the thread about him not being able to buy tires for his race car? Does anybody really know all the details on both sides of the fence? I doubt it. I think the lines generally get drawn around personal experiences (both good and bad) with anybody who is "in the spotlight". If the central issue is some type of "conspiracy" to prevent his race team from buying ANYTHING that is available on the market, then it will be a slam-dunk victory for LG in the courtroom - GM's legal muscle notwithstanding. That's what the law is supposed to do - level the playing field. Short of trademark infringements, I can't at first pass see what LG's race team could do to "threaten" GM or Michelin for that matter.

JMHO

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recall now that LG back in 2000 claimed he was extorted out of Trans Am and again claimed someone refused to sell him a Corvette racer, same old game.

Doing a search of this you find from the SCCA forum whining where he says in part Quote:

I am leaving the Trans Am series Because after Derhaag refused to sell me a Corvette body the same as the other competitors, I purchased the body from another supplier who was not approved to sell THIS body. I was allowed to run the new body for Mosport and Lime Rock, until Derhaag changed his mind. Then the Management said that I must now buy another body, but this time from Derhaag at 150% of the cost of the one I have

Lou Gigliotti/LG Motorsports EXTORTED out of Trans AM series rac

As to statements as to his products being fine, he makes nothing but OEMs, slapping his tag on it and raises the prices 2 to 3 times such as CAMs where the OEM name is ground off the CAM or cheap headers that have the same design look as another OEM.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I've been in the car business a long time, both in sales (still), and as an aftermarket vendor/mfr. The old adage of "you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time" certainly holds true.

I always tried to keep "politics" out of the equation. There will always be some that don't like you, some that do. The proof is in the pudding. If you supply a product or service, and people buy it, then that's the proof.
I assume part of your post is a response to my (and possibly others) remarks about LG. If so, please allow me to clarify something.

My attitude regarding Lou has nothing whatsoever to do with any sales transactions or customer service issues. I have never purchased anything from LG and never will, so I would not like for anyone to mistake my feelings or criticism of Lou for a bad transaction with a part or service from his company.

My attitude is based soley upon his actions while a vendor on this site a few years ago and subsequent emails that went back and forth between he and I, as well as JC (the site owner at the time).
I keep those e-mails from that period as kind of a 'keepsake'. Perhaps when I retire and write my memoirs, I'll share the contents of those e-mails and display Lou's shining personality. :lol:

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts