Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the time the Z is either in the garage or in my secure office parking lot, however on occasion we take a trip up the coast of California or out to Vegas and I'd like to be sure that if it is stolen (most likely via flat bed) that I can have a chance at getting it back.

Yes, I have great insurance, but I'd rather not have to spend the time adding mods and having to find exactly what I want - unless it's 2005 ;)

In talking to the CHP they said San Diego has a very high theft rate with Mexico and outbound ships easily accessible. Very little goes to chop shops or part stripping. Typical theft is via flat bed, eventually put in a truck or container and sent out of the country.
I found it funny that the CHP officer I spoke with said "especially exotic cars like this one" :lol:

I'm not interested in a regular alarm since most people ignore them and I feel the standard security is fine for the average thief. I'm more concerned with being able to find it within a few days of the theft. CHP said most "exotics" :lol: are taken to long-term self paid parking lots and left there for about a week to see if they have tracking devices. They said most vehicles that have tracking devices are recovered quickly.

He recommended the Lo Jack (I have one on my F-150), and for $500 - $600 it's cheap insurance. I've heard a lot about the new GPS tracking devices but I'm having a hard time finding good info in the USA. Very popular in London, but very little info here.

Anyone here install any type of GPS car alarm?
Not a GPS navigational system - although very :cool:

Thanks for your input :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Lojack is very good, as it is activated, only once you report the vehicle stolen. It operates on its own battery, so even if the vehicle battery is disconnected, it will still function.
Power draw is about 3 milliamps, constant, and it does not wire into standard c5 electronics.
They will wire power, and ground, and antenna.
I do recommend this type of system, as we have had 3 stolen, and all were recovered within 36 hours of report.
Besttoyou, c4c5:z:hammersdoingtheftrecovery

·
Registered
629 Posts
Any more info on a GPS system?

Lojack has a very limited area and Oklahoma is not covered.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I looked up the lo jack website but the info they have there is pretty light... testimonials/descr/etc

As for locating places to get it... they seem to only sell to dealers?? Or do other places have these? Does it work in Texas? (someone mentioned that it doesn't work in OK...)

Am also interested in the GPS thing....

The stock alarm is "ok" for "normal" thieves... still doesn't help that they can butcher your car trying to bypass/silence it... but better than completely gone. However it won't stop "real" thieves for very long so I am interested in the answers here.

Maybe I should have made my reply a whole new thread :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'd also really like info on the GPS things. I'm frequently where lojack is not, so I think that would be a better alternative.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
LoJack only works if local police have the Equip to track the signal

Check to see the local police have vehicles equipped to track Lojack's signal. Most police departments have not bought the receivers to find a Lojack signal due to cost to the department.

If you're in an area that the police have the equipment to track a Lojack signal and know how to use it, LoJack is great. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Also, the loJack signal itself can be masked using other technical means. So if a thief really know what he/she is doing. Your best insurance is insurance that will cover the cost of replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts