Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got my car back from having TPIS long tube headers installed on my '01 yesterday. Now, at this point, I haven't been able to take the car out and REALLY beat on it (the computer has to relearn my driving style, and I didn't have the time to do more driving after picking the car up) -- but what I DO know is WOW, this car is just scary now! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

From where the car was being worked on, I had to take the Turnpike home. At first I thought that the SOTP difference with the headers was not as impressive as I had hoped for -- but when I looked at my speedo and saw that I had just blasted to 110 when I thought I was doing 80, well... The improvement spoke for itself! The car now pulls in 5th as though it were in 3rd. I swore that something had thrown the speedo off, 'cause I couldn't believe how effortlessly this car climbs through the MPH's now.

I'd say that there is a SLIGHT (slight, and that's it) decrease in low-end torque. Again, this may be in my mind, and if there is a decrease, it may be due to the computer having not relearned my driving habits yet. But, if there is a decrease there, it is FAR OUTWEIGHED by the overwhelming INCREASE in mid-to-high range HP. I stomped the gas from a light on an offramp, slightly uphill even, and by 3rd gear I was scaring myself with just how much faster the car was. It is an absolute rocket now (whereas it was a cruise missle before). It's a beautiful thing.

The sound of the exhaust is improved as well. My buddy, who took me to get my car, said that he could hear me coming up behind him on the Turnpike, and over his own Z28 exhaust, whereas he could just barely hear my [stock] exhaust when driving behind me before. The car's a bit louder now (much louder at WOT), and the note is throatier, too. I did the 2-chamber Flowmaster deal on my Mustang Cobra, and I didn't want to go the same loud-route with this car. Now, the car sounds just right to me.

If you're considering doing long tube headers on your Z, don't just consider it anymore -- to borrow Nike's phrase, JUST DO IT. You'll be glad you did!

Also, a big thanks to Carl V. for hooking me up with his vast Vette knowledge and the guys who did the header install. These guys took good care of my car, and the work looks great.

More after I've "experimented" a little more... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Kirk

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds great!

Can you share with us part numbers and costs associated with this improvement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You bet I'll keep you guys informed! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

As for part #'s, I'm not so sure, Gary. If you're interested in the TPIS headers, just make sure that you're getting 1) TPIS long tubes, 2) for an '01 Z06, and 3) with the jet-hot (more for "stainless") coating. When ordering, taking care of these trhee items will net you the proper headers.

Cost of the headers were $895 (though you can get them for $845 from the group purchase in the other forum). I called all around to get these a couple weeks ago, and NO ONE seemed to have them except for MTI. So, if you can get them for $50 less through the GP, then go for it. But I think you might be waiting for three or four weeks. The cost to install the headers (from a very reputable shop here in PA) was @ $500. The install requires welding, so you should make sure a good welder is doing the work.

Hope this helps!

-Kirk

S

·
0 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. Nothing else was needed? So for about $1400 I can have all that fun too! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

On 2001-08-22 11:02, speedy-gonzalez spewed forth this drivel:
Cool, thanks for the info. Nothing else was needed? So for about $1400 I can have all that fun too! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Sure can! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Nothing else was needed -- no computer reprogramming or anything like that.. I may add an X-pipe latter, but no "need" for that now. What we did do was swap in some NGK spark plugs.

Now, speedy, I know you're a no-mod kind of guy, but WOW! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-Kirk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I assume this requires removing the cats? We have smog checks every few years on all cars in the Chicago area so this would be a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

On 2001-08-22 12:18, fifimonster spewed forth this drivel:
I assume this requires removing the cats? We have smog checks every few years on all cars in the Chicago area so this would be a problem for me.
Fifimonster -- So, '02 Z's are illegal in Chitown? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif The headers necessitate the removal of the PRE-cats (which don't even come on the '02's). PA has gotten really strict with emissions (too), and this car, in this trim, will pass with flying colors. No visual or emissions woes either here or in Chicago with this set-up! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Kirk

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Frank,

We understand your need for Long..............
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
31 Posts

On 2001-08-22 13:12, KMeloney spewed forth this drivel:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD>Quote:</font><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR><TR><TD><BLOCKQUOTE><B>
On 2001-08-22 12:18, fifimonster spewed forth this drivel:
Fifimonster -- So, '02 Z's are illegal in Chitown? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif The headers necessitate the removal of the PRE-cats (which don't even come on the '02's). PA has gotten really strict with emissions (too), and this car, in this trim, will pass with flying colors. No visual or emissions woes either here or in Chicago with this set-up! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Kirk

</B></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR></TABLE>

great!!!! How about any heat related issues? I wouldn't want to melt anything under the hood.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Balls to the wall, I'm glad I did mine. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Z

·
0 Posts
Sound like you need some computer programing
remember you can't replace hardware without
reprograming software. trademark joe verdone
I made 371.4 rwhp and 364.8 flbtq and I have
B&B headers/prt exhaust/stock air box w/ k/n
and a verdone performance h pipe/ reprogram
pcm... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Frank -- I think I just assumed that you already HAD headers! Yeah, you need some! (Geez, Carl wasn't able to convince you? He must be losing his touch. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

Steve -- The pre-cats are gone, and all else looks like stock under the car (save for the fact that the rust-covered manifolds are gone, and have been replaced by fat, shiney tubes!). It's all good.

Fifi -- No heat issues (afterall, they're jet-hot coated, which is a type of insulation, which keeps the heat in the pipes, not out in your engine bay).

ZO -- With all due respect, I DON'T need any reprogramming. The guy who did this install actually sat on an Excell (automotive) programming council with the likes of John Lingenfelter (sp?) -- he'd have been the first one to tell me that I need reprogramming. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Kirk

2001 Z06
MY w/Black (Memory, Mirrors, Mats, & Moldings)
+ B&M Ripper, Hardbar knob, Blackwing, TPIS long tube headers, lowering bolts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had the pleasure of driving Kirks car (the car will never be the same) and it ran as good as any Z06 I have driven. The long tubes are a must on the Z06, just make sure you have a good welder do the work, Kirk's welding looked better than stock. Glad I could help Kirk. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
194 Posts
Kirk,

Did you install a Donaldson along with the longtubes on your '02?

When are you off to the dyno?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nick -- Oops! I have an '01, not an '02. But, yes, I have a Donaldson on the car that I added prior to the headers. The Donaldson is great. Some kind of intake will really make the headers shine.

Carl -- Thanks again, bro'!

-Kirk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts