Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Didn't get enough drop out of the rear of my Z from the factory lowering (the front looks great -- I just want the rear wheel space to match). So, I plan on going the longer-rear-bolts route.

Now, instead of buying these (and paying shipping, and waiting, etc.) online, can I get what I need at Home Depot (or a similar store)? If so, I guess I need to know the following:

-What hardness and what material bolts do I need?
-What length and width bolts do I need?
-Does the thread pattern of the bolts matter (as long as I get a nut to fit)?
-Do I want an all-thread bolt, or a bolt with threads only toward the end?

Also, in terms of the removal/installation of the bolts, is there any sprung weight on the rear spring(s) or other surprises I should know about, given that I'd be doing this with the rear of the car on jackstands, with the wheels hanging in the air? Or, is this really just a matter of taking the nut off the existing bolt, slipping it out the bottom, and reinserting the new?

Finally, will the relationship between the car's lowering and the new bolts be the same as with the old bolts, such that by just going a little "higher" on the longer threads (than on the old bolts) I'll get just that much more drop out of the rear?

THANK YOU, folks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow.. No one knows?

Please, oh Z06 gurus... You can do it!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kirk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To the top, dagnabbit!

:::whistle::: ...Anyone?

(C'mon -- a two-response thread with only one poster? This is embarrassing! LOL)

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, weell, here's what I found out on the OTHER forum:

-Grade 8 hardened steel bolts
-1/2" diameter
-6" long
-nylon, locking nuts and washers

I guess this is all the info I need, though I am wondering if I need to take the pressure off the leaf spring with another jac or something...

Hmmm... Anyone? Or, anyone have any material ideas that DIFFER from above?

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
528 Posts

On 2001-07-27 08:47, KMeloney spewed forth this drivel:
Ok, weell, here's what I found out on the OTHER forum:

-Grade 8 hardened steel bolts
-1/2" diameter
-6" long
-nylon, locking nuts and washers

I guess this is all the info I need, though I am wondering if I need to take the pressure off the leaf spring with another jac or something...

Hmmm... Anyone? Or, anyone have any material ideas that DIFFER from above?

Thanks!

-Kirk
Everything above looks good. I'm going to use a small bottle jack to take the pressure off of the end of the spring. I'm also going to drill the bolt at the end and put in a cotter pin. Probably over kill, but I'd rather over kill with this than have my butt falling on to the road. My two cents........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts