Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm new to Z06, I was hoping to see what all of you have to say about this setup.

It is an 03 with 11,500 miles. The place claims that a dealer installed a Vortech supercharger when the car was new upon the owner's request. They claim that dealer fully warranties the car (bumper to bumper) including the supercharger. Weird thing is, the intake and exahust is still stock although they did change injectors, thermostat, and of course the full kit with the superchip? No boost gauge but they claim around 6 -7 psi.

Anyway, what do you think about this? Is this a good thing, bad thing, ???
If the warranty is valid, that would be very nice to have the additional goodies and power fully warrantied by the factory. There's one year left on the warranty.

Any input or suggestions welcome. Ohhh, and they are asking $42K for it which I think it is little too much.. How much would a Vortech supercharger kit (everything out the door) cost?

One more question: Can the side moldings be taken off by anyone or is that more permenent thing that body shop would have to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
BSM's can be removed by yourself and you will never know they were there. I took mine off after two years. Fishing line and blow dryer. There are dozen of threads giving more details.

As to the price. The blower with the install and tune is about 8G's new if it's the polished version. You usually lose about 50% or more on used parts. So lets figure 4G's for the blower. The car worth 35 to 36G's no blower. So my best guess is 39 to 40G's for the car. If the selling Dealer is local to you and is willing to put the warranty in writing you good to go in that area.
Let us know how you make out. :cheers:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I see. That sounds good. Are there any issues or things to look out for (or check) that the blower could have intruduced? Is it normal that the intake and exhaust is still stock with that kind of power adder?

...the dealer who has it is not the original dealer that sold the car and did the work however the original dealer is here so I'm sure I can call with the VIN and double check. It has the regular 3yrs/36K miles warranty that they claim covers the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You found a needle in a hay stack, or is it too good to be true? That is a rare find, a dealer having a blown Z06 and will include warranty, although its $44k is high, I think for the few that want a full warranty blown corvette, that is a price anyone would pay if wishing such thing. There could be something wrong with it , but if its warrantied It would be taken care of so If its what you want that is a Good deal, not the price per say, but a vorteced Z06 with warranty for one year, Thats a awsome deal, If everything is true, tell them to throw in a Full Diagostics to check for any problems the extra power could of put on the car, because being installed by a dealer is not always the best option, maybe put it on a dyno to check if the fuel system and tune is holding up the power the way its suppose to :guiness:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
IT L GO said:
BSM's can be removed by yourself and you will never know they were there. I took mine off after two years. Fishing line and blow dryer. There are dozen of threads giving more details.

As to the price. The blower with the install and tune is about 8G's new if it's the polished version. You usually lose about 50% or more on used parts. So lets figure 4G's for the blower. The car worth 35 to 36G's no blower. So my best guess is 39 to 40G's for the car. If the selling Dealer is local to you and is willing to put the warranty in writing you good to go in that area.
Let us know how you make out. :cheers:
I agree with the above 100%...39G's + a written warranty on the engine/drivetrain with the blower. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sounds like "Salesman" talk to me.

I find it hard to believe that the GM Factory Warranty will cover an after market supercharger (dealer installed or not)? If anything, I would suspect that the supercharger (et al) will void most of the warranty.

Now you might get a warranty from the dealer that you are buying the car from - but it won't be GM's. I'd make sure that it clearly spells out what is covered and what is not covered.

My $.02 - Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would stay clear of any supercharged used car sitting on a dealers lot. Usualy when a car is toast and people dont want to screw someone personaly they trade the car in to let the dealer deal with it. I have know 3 friends who have done this. I would find a good deal on a used stock one for 33K and put on a blower yourself. I also had a very similar expierence. When I was shopping for my Z I ran across a 03 with low miles and a pro-charger on it at a dealer. My friend owns the local shop that does almost all of the supercharged vetts and camaros around the Sac area. I took the Vin to him and sure enough he did the car. He let me know the guy road raced the car a lot and stay clear. Be carefull man.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I would look around for a stock 02 or 03 with low miles. There are some good deals out there if you look hard enough and are patient, then you can mod it the way YOU want!
Good luck! Jim

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RB185AFM said:
I would stay clear of any supercharged used car sitting on a dealers lot. Usualy when a car is toast and people dont want to screw someone personaly they trade the car in to let the dealer deal with it. I have know 3 friends who have done this. I would find a good deal on a used stock one for 33K and put on a blower yourself. I also had a very similar expierence. When I was shopping for my Z I ran across a 03 with low miles and a pro-charger on it at a dealer. My friend owns the local shop that does almost all of the supercharged vetts and camaros around the Sac area. I took the Vin to him and sure enough he did the car. He let me know the guy road raced the car a lot and stay clear. Be carefull man.

That could be so true, but thats why the WARRANTY made sense, because if something is so wrong that the owner didnt want to deal with then It would show before warranty is over and get it fixed, and then It would be worth buying, If nothings wrong then same thing, Basically If the Warranty wasnt offered I would say not to even consider because of what you mentioned :yeadog:

·
Registered
33 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
That could be so true, but thats why the WARRANTY made sense, because if something is so wrong that the owner didnt want to deal with then It would show before warranty is over and get it fixed, and then It would be worth buying, If nothings wrong then same thing, Basically If the Warranty wasnt offered I would say not to even consider because of what you mentioned :yeadog:
Yeah I hear you but like others have posted the warrenty sounds shaddy. I know GM wont honnor a warrenty on a Supercharged vette.And I have heard some pretty dismal things about aftermarket warrenties.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RB185AFM said:
Yeah I hear you but like others have posted the warrenty sounds shaddy. I know GM wont honnor a warrenty on a Supercharged vette.And I have heard some pretty dismal things about aftermarket warrenties.
When it comes any warranty its always iffy, For instance GM mechanic told me if I needed a Clutch replacement it wouldnt be honored because that means I wore out prematurely, but I believe if you keep it stock, shouldnt the clutch hold up til the 36k miles even when pushed, thats what the car is for, Now if was a Chevy Aveo, then I see that pushing it would make not normal for it. Warranties on a High perf. car should be tweaked to meet that, maybe a discount should be awarded to those who dont wish to have one for Obvious reasons but ofcourse keeping your basic things in warranty would be a good idea as well :yeadog:

BTW. my clutch is going on 20k and no problems so far, it was just an example

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like sales talk to me. Have them prove in writing everything that is said. Have the car tested and dynoed at an independent shop if you're serious. Why was it traded in?

Any Chevy dealer can do a print out by VIN of all work done to a car through the GM computer network.

Don't forget the Carfax. Modded cars aren't worth that much more than the stock version.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You say it is under warranty? Go for it. Buy it, drive the hell out of it, and make them fix it. In less than a year you could have a new clutch and drivetrain on their bill. Thats got to be worth something.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stumbo said:
Sounds like sales talk to me. Have them prove in writing everything that is said. Have the car tested and dynoed at an independent shop if you're serious. Why was it traded in?

Any Chevy dealer can do a print out by VIN of all work done to a car through the GM computer network.

Don't forget the Carfax. Modded cars aren't worth that much more than the stock version.
They told me he traded this one in for a new C6.
They ran a carfax and it turned out clean. Nothing on it other then renewal registration, one owner. But I haven't had the dealer that did the work on it print anything out. I'll probably call them and see how willing they are...

Is it true that you can pull off info from the computer that will show how many times the rev limiter has been hit in the past? I've been told you can... If so, how? Thanks

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would throw them a bid for around $37,500.00. That would be a fare price for the car. Trust me they took the guys head off when he traded it in for the C6. All of my stuff on my Z was dealer installed and yes it was always under warranty.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
azzkiknZO6 said:
I would throw them a bid for around $37,500.00. That would be a fare price for the car. Trust me they took the guys head off when he traded it in for the C6. All of my stuff on my Z was dealer installed and yes it was always under warranty.
I think I just may do that... So just to get this straight, all the aftermarket parts that dealer put on was fully warrantied by the factory warranty?

·
Registered
722 Posts
No way will a manufacturer warranty this setup, either the aftermarket parts or anything associated with them. Likewise, neither the GM extended protection plan nor an aftermarket service contract will cover an aftermarket supercharged car. If there is any warranty at all it will only be honored at one specific repair facility / dealership, and you'd need to see that in writing.

Also, I think someone at that used car lot where you see this car has a C5 with the headers that used to be on this car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts