Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at making the switching from NA to Twin Turbo need help with a few questions? I’m looking at a few kits from Cartek, TTI, Turbochargedpower to name a few. I’m leaning on buying the Turbochargedpower kit can be found at http://turbochargedpower.com/Corvette.htm

I’m looking at their stage 2-3 kits. I don’t now if I should do a forged 346 or 427? I want to run 93 oct gas all the time. What hp and tq should I expect? What other parts besides the clutch do I need to upgrade? I’m planning on having a boost controller also. At what point is the hp and tq useless on the street. I’m planning on running Nito 505R2 tires. Looking for a great street-racing car.

Would you use AFR 225 heads or who’s heads and why?
What intake and TB would you use?
What CR?

I know I’m going to get 10 different points of views but I want to hear what people think and why they feel that way.

If any one lives in the Des Moines, Iowa area would I be able to take a ride with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, if I was building a turbocharged LS1 for myself, it would be an iron 6.0 block, with stock crank, upgraded rods/pistons, and AFR heads.

While not 100% necessary, I like the strength/reliability of the iron block and AFR heads.

You would need to upgrade the fuel system, and engine management. (HP tuners 3-bar)

I would use LS6 intake, stock throttle body, and around 8.5-1 compression with a mirrored dish piston.

IMO, almost any level of HP is still usefull on the street if the car is driven correctly. We just finished Dans twin turbo Cobra which made over 1000rwhp and it is awesome on the street. (I am the tuner at Speed Inc.)

As far as HP level, obviously it would depend on the specifics, and you would ultimately be limited by 93 octane fuel.

A better question would be, what are your goals for horsepower?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello INTMD8, if your the tuner at Speedinc then you tuned my 00 corvette heads & cam car last summer.

Why the iron 6.0 block? What is the stock bore on it? Also wouldn't I want to upgrade to a forged 4" crank? What is the diffrence in weight from the LS6 to iron block? Is it just cost the reason you would go with the Iorn block over the Darton LS6?

I found a guy that is porting the AFR 225 heads and getting 370 at .600" and has been working on the porting program and said he has it really close to 400 at .600" with a 238 cc vv the stock being 225 cc. From what I've seen in Stage 3 heads in LS6 there right around 232-240 cc with only 320 at .600"

8.5:1 CR is what I want also

Intake is becoming a big talk on a few of the other forums.

1. So far LS6 ported with TPIS or Nick William
2. Fast 90's
3. LS2

You don't think there is any hp gains with going with a Fast over the LS6. Have you done any dyno runs?

I would like to shoot for 700-800RWHP on pump gas, but anything over that would be nice also if it doesn't cost a whole lot more.

So the engine management (HP tuners 3-bar) what is that and how much is that going to cost?

I've been talking with Tom to see if he wants to use my car as a genny pig for a C5 turbo kit. He hasn't gotten back to me. I would love to work with you guys on this.

PM me your number and I will call you some time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, within reason, displacement is not very important when building a turbocharged combination.

For example, a T76 turbo will make 1000hp on a 3 liter engine, or a 6 liter engine, but the 6 liter will have a much lower operating RPM range and will be operating at a much lower pressure ratio. Big displacement will have faster turbo response (which will most likely result in tire spin), but backpressure can also become an issue, especially when it's pushing through t3 exhaust sides. (This can usually be seen by dyno graphs that have signifigantly higher torque than horsepower).

IMO, the strength of a 6.0 iron block with AFR heads is worth the weight gain, and money spent on a sleeved or C5R block and a stroker crank is really unnecessary. (The turbo system will be the limit on potential horsepower LONG before displacement will)

Our shop car is a 6.0 liter engine with AFR heads and LS6 intake manifold and small hyd cam. It dynoed 876rwhp through a full exhaust and turbo 400 transmission. (This is with a single 88mm turbo)

The HP tuners 3-bar setup converts the car from mass airflow to speed density, and uses a 3 bar map sensor. (resolution up to 30lbs of boost). This is using the stock PCM, and we have quite a few cars in the low 800rwhp range with this setup. (and trying to work out some bugs above that level). Not sure on the cost, Tom or Larry could help you out on that one.

As far as horsepower on pump gas, I'm personally not a big fan of pushing the envelope on 93 octane. Mainly because to find the true limit of the fuel, you will break something.

I like to run a conservative boost level on pump gas, which would safely be in the 650-700rwhp (or so) range.

If you want more power, you can mix in racing fuel and turn up the boost. (the tune covers all boost levels and will not need adjustment).

There are people that may disagree with my way of thinking, but I do not see the purpose in spending alot of money on top notch parts and risk it all for a few dollars saved on fuel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the chance to buy a LS6 Darton Block for $1900 shipped. So that is why was thinking about the 427

But is you like the 6.0L why not the LS2 block then? The LS2 blocks are around $850 shipped. Is the iron block that much stronger than the LS2? I would think the LS6 darton wet sleeved block would be stronger yet. There is no way I would spend the money for C5R block or to sleeve a LS6 block, anything over $2K isn't worth it to me like you said.

You don't think I have to go to a forged 4" crankshaft?

Intake is becoming a big talk on a few of the other forums.

1. So far LS6 ported with TPIS or Nick William
2. Fast 90's
3. LS2

You don't think there is any hp gains with going with a Fast over the LS6. Have you done any dyno runs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, what I'm saying is that the iron 6.0 liter block, is the strongest block, and that's what I would use in my own car.

Sure you could use an aluminum block, it is just not my preference.

I would also use a stock 6.0 crank, and an LS6 intake.

The turbo system is going to be the limiting factor here. It would be different if you were running twin T4's and had a goal of 1500+hp.

You could spend the money on a Darton block, forged stroker crank, FAST intake, etc, etc, but they are not necessary to reach your goal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to hit 1500 hp but on when I'm driving around daily I would like to run pump gas and have in the 700hp range. So even with 1500hp you would use a stock iron block crank or is the LS2 or LS1?

I know I could have a twin turbo that does 1500hp on race fuel and with a boost controler we can turn down the boost to run on pump gas.

I just have a goal on pump gas.

If Tom wants to take this project one I'll let you guys set the hp goals, I just want the max hp on pump gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts