Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking at buying a 2 post lift very soon. Does anybody know what the better ones are, quality and price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Surfnerv89 -

I can recommend the AutoLifters AutoPro Low-Profile 8000# lift.

Here is a picture of my lift:

I have had mine for over a year now. No problems and no complaints. They are listed as $2100 on the web site now, but I paid $1900 or so for mine in October 2003 (it took a while to get it installed in my garage due to construction delays during the garage build...)

For the low-profile model, lifting arm synchronization cables run along the floor under a cover plate, so there is no restriction above the lifting area.

The tower height is 8' 2" .

The support towers are each bolted to the floor with 6 large studs lagged into holes you drill, and the nuts are torqued to 100ft/lbs.

I ordered a 220v model, the 110v model is the same except for the motor - the 220 lifts more quickly.

I would go with the 8000# model as a minimum, not for the capacity, but for the additional width between the towers...

I chose the symmetric model with equal length lifting arms. No problems lifting either corvettes or pickups.

There are others who make a two-post lift -

Bend-Pac comes to mind - I think they are more expensive than the AutoLifters - but they are probably for more severe service duty. Bend-Pac is the brand they have at a lot of dealerships I have seen. Bend-Pac lifts are more pricey.

Here is a link to my lift install page -

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/595972/2

You are going to love having a lift, if only for all the beer your Corvette Buddies bring by on the weekends in barter for "air-time" on the lift... :rofl: :guiness:

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a Rotory lift 9000# ,looks the same as the autolift the rotory is quit a bit more expensive and looks much the same. What evey you buy look strongly at open center and you'll love it.

Tony #54

·
Registered
133 Posts
were getting ready to purchase a Rotary 7000# lift as well. Its the twin post assemetrical design. I cant wait to get the thing....we just need to get the house finished first.

Dave

·
Registered
881 Posts
WOW: That is really slick! Is there any reason not to store a car on this lift and park another one under it? Or, is it better to get a 4-post lift for that purpose?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I store the 54 car on the lift all winter bringing it down once in a while to work on it. My wife parks he Malibu under. It works out great.

Tony #54

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ralph, the 4 post is quicker and simpler if your primary purpose is storage/stacking two cars. Obviously you can do work off of it but you have to fool with a bridge if you want to remove tires, and the design is also a bit more obstructive for more complex work. Conversely, the two post is better for maintenance but less convenient for storage. So you need to decide what your priorities are. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
RalphP said:
WOW: That is really slick! Is there any reason not to store a car on this lift and park another one under it? Or, is it better to get a 4-post lift for that purpose?
Hi Ralph -

The two post lifts are by definition service lifts, while the four post lists are storage lifts.

I don't think there is any harm in storing a car on the two post variety.

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
881 Posts
wamara said:
Ralph, the 4 post is quicker and simpler if your primary purpose is storage/stacking two cars. Obviously you can do work off of it but you have to fool with a bridge if you want to remove tires, and the design is also a bit more obstructive for more complex work. Conversely, the two post is better for maintenance but less convenient for storage. So you need to decide what your priorities are. Good luck.
Thanks for the responses guys: What you say makes sense and I guess if there was any harm in storing the car with the suspension unloaded, you would have said so. I have always thought the 4- post lifts look awkward for working on cars and would much rather have the 2-post for that reason. I suppose you just need a little more clearance for the 2-post since the wheels will be lower in that case.

·
Registered
881 Posts
3Pedal_Z06 said:
I wish my garage was taller :mah: I might have to move - I want a lift.
I have 9'8". I will have to rework my garage door tracks to move them up and probably get rid of the conventional opener and install one of the ones that mounts on the side. My garage is 26' deep so after raising the door tracks (they won't extend as far into the garage any more) I may be able to move the lift completely ahead of the door tracks and use all 9'8". Otherwise, I assume I will lose about 8" and be at 9' height.

Anybody know how much headroom you need to park a car on the 2 post lift and another car (not a sport ute) underneath? Thanks! :usa:

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
No brand favorite( I have had a Challenger lift in my shop that is over 24 yrs old, with no problems ever), but I would recommend a twin post asymmetrical design. The asymmetrical design is better in that it mounts close towards the front of the car(for your overhead garage door clearance, and it lets you open the car doors(all the way open) while on the lift. And all the twin-post lifts have safety's on them, so you can lock them in place, and not worry about the lift coming down.

·
Registered
265 Posts
On the twin post lifts are there any modifications needed to the floor where you bolt it in? Do you need additional concrete in those 2 areas?

Dave

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Z06-Dave said:
On the twin post lifts are there any modifications needed to the floor where you bolt it in? Do you need additional concrete in those 2 areas?

Dave
If you check with the manufacturer, they will tell you how thick they want the concrete to be( 3 to 4 inches in most cases). Other than that, they just bolt it to the floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a quick question.. Could someone please tell me where to lift the corvette by on one of these lifts. I picture would probably help too... Thank you

·
21,378 Posts
Thanks for the good info on the two post mqqn. I'm going to have a shop built and that's what I want in a lift. I especially like the part about friends bringing over beer for lift time. :thumb: :guiness:

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
mqqn, thanks for the data. Two questions for you. How thick does the concrete have to be for that two post lift? What is the distance from the floor to the lower part of your ceiling that is over the lift?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most lift makers specify minimum of 4" of 3000 psi concrete. I went with 6" of 3500 just to be sure.

I have an Atlas Nine, 9,000 lb asym two post from Greg Smith Equipment Sales. $1,966.00 including shipping. They also have some good deals on low clearence lifts as well.

Just built a new house. Smaller house bigger garage with 12' ceilings. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts