Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there

I'm confused a little had a 06 C6Z just got all my new stuff but didn't start working on it, the problem is am planning to add more boost so should I wait until I got a new setup of pistons and rods or LS7 can handle the power rang am asking for looking forward for 800whp on stock end bottom "Pumped" had the meth kit on the Z but my tuner hate it don't know why.

car had
dual hosing meth kit + boost a pump
95 injectors
D1SC 6rib
kooks 1-7/8
off road x-pipe

the parts are waiting to install is
mast 285 CNC heads
cam
coilovers
radiator
fans and t-stat
clutch and flywheel
swaybar

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You plan on boosting your stock bottom 06Z to 800+ rwhp with a 6 rib D1-sc.

Any idea how much boost that will take?

Good luck and be sure and take some pics to share after the ....uh, after you've run it hard.

Mike
Mike,

8psi should be enough I was looking forward for 10 but I think 8 is enough

put anyone knows if the pistons can handle it or not?

Best.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I will absolutely guarantee that 8 pounds or even 10 will not get you 800+ rwhp.

Unless you are just looking to 'display' a C6Z with '800+ rwhp' in a window someplace, you are not going to have a vehicle you can 'run' with.

First off, the 6 rib pulley won't handle the stress without the belt jumping of the pulley every 2 minutes. In addition, I suspect you're gonna have to run at least 14-16 lbs of boost to reach your goals and I don't believe the pistons nor even the stock block is going to handle that type or pressure.

In my humble opinion, you need to rethink your hp goal or consider going with the type of block designed to handle that type of power....possibly a 427 Warhawk or LSX.

...but what the hell do I know :screwy:

Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ive read guys running 750rwhp w/ stock pistons, but thats on borrowed time.

My recommendation is just boost the hell out of it. If it holds, then it holds. If not, then I guess we found out the answer.

I would do what Mike says.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will absolutely guarantee that 8 pounds or even 10 will not get you 800+ rwhp.

Unless you are just looking to 'display' a C6Z with '800+ rwhp' in a window someplace, you are not going to have a vehicle you can 'run' with.

First off, the 6 rib pulley won't handle the stress without the belt jumping of the pulley every 2 minutes. In addition, I suspect you're gonna have to run at least 14-16 lbs of boost to reach your goals and I don't believe the pistons nor even the stock block is going to handle that type or pressure.

In my humble opinion, you need to rethink your hp goal or consider going with the type of block designed to handle that type of power....possibly a 427 Warhawk or LSX.

...but what the hell do I know :screwy:

Mike
Without heads and cam only with my headers I did 608whp on 98oct

so now I'm upgrading to H/C that's will makes me for sure in 700's with more boot I can't reach the goal?

I read there is many of Z's doing 800++ on 8-9PSI

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Some observations & questions....

How much boost (what size pulley) did you use to get your 608 rwhp?

What heads are you using to lower your combustion?

You can't use a rowdy cam with boost or they start working against each other. If that's the case, a 'blower friendly cam' is not going to net you much, if any, hp gains.

Your boost-a-pump ain't going to cut it at high boosted hp. You're going to have to install a new heavy duty fuel pump with some good braided lines.

Look, I really do wish you the best of luck on your build and I'm not trying to be a nay sayer, but I've been down this road before and you can save money and time by doing it right to begin with.

The heads need to be milled out, dished pistons installed and even thicker head gaskets used to lower the combustion for higher boost applications. New fuel system (as previously mentioned) and at least 8 rib pulleys to keep the belt on.

I was using a C5R block (much stronger than stock) when I broke through 750 rwhp and a metallurgy x-ray showed the block was getting pushed to the max even then. That's the reason I went to an LSX iron block to safely use the power. Having an engine blow before making the changes can hurt various components as well as having a block not worth selling or trading. Better off to do it right from the beginning. I can't even stress enough the tuning side of this type of setup.

Beware of what 'others' claim to have done with their build. If they built it and had problems, they probably don't want to look bad by sharing those issues (or blown engines) with others so you won't even know it happened.
Others build their engine for the 'numbers bragging rights' and never run the Z hard at the track or street. In that situation, you can boost to 1200 rwhp if you're never gonna use it.

I'll back away from this thread now because I think you've got your mind set and I don't want to jinx you or anything like that.

I'll just wish you the very best of luck, not only on your build but on what comes after.

Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
:rofl::rofl::fpalm::fpalm::fpalm::what::what:
Lol... I was merely saying for the OP to run his designated boost he wanted on his stock block and if nothing happens then were a good to go. If sh** hits the fan, then we probably needed a some forged internals and or an upgraded block.. hehehe..

OP... do it. Lets go double digits on the boost.. 13 sounds lke the lucky number.. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some observations & questions....

How much boost (what size pulley) did you use to get your 608 rwhp?

What heads are you using to lower your combustion?

You can't use a rowdy cam with boost or they start working against each other. If that's the case, a 'blower friendly cam' is not going to net you much, if any, hp gains.

Your boost-a-pump ain't going to cut it at high boosted hp. You're going to have to install a new heavy duty fuel pump with some good braided lines.

Look, I really do wish you the best of luck on your build and I'm not trying to be a nay sayer, but I've been down this road before and you can save money and time by doing it right to begin with.

The heads need to be milled out and even thicker head gaskets used to lower the combustion for higher boost applications. New fuel system (as previously mentioned) and at least 8 rib pulleys to keep the belt on.

I was using a C5R block (much stronger than stock) when I broke through 750 rwhp and a metallurgy x-ray showed the block was getting pushed to the max even then. That's the reason I went to an LSX iron block to safely use the power. Having an engine blow before making the changes can hurt various components as well as having a block not worth selling or trading. Better off to do it right from the beginning. I can't even stress enough the tuning side of this type of setup.

Beware of what 'others' claim to have done with their build. If they built it and had problems, they probably don't want to look bad by sharing those issues (or blown engines) with others so you won't even know it happened.
Others build their engine for the 'numbers bragging rights' and never run the Z hard at the track or street. In that situation, you can boost to 1200 rwhp if you're never gonna use it.

I'll back away from this thread now because I think you've got your mind set and I don't want to jinx you or anything like that.

I'll just wish you the very best of luck, not only on your build but on what comes after.

Mike
a stock LS7 nothing changed only the injectors goes with #95 and procharge D1SC 6rib not sure what was the pulley size cause it comes with the kit already on 6Psi the car makes 608whp and I find many of the same results on another forums even without a headers they made 605whp you can check them and if you want me to post you a links I can do it., btw 608 on pump no meth used yet. :drunken:

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,814 Posts
If your "tuner" hates water/methanol then you need to dump him as not knowing very much and is a danger to long term life of your LS7

Research water/methanol is it has been used since WW-II in fighter planes and has been proven to allow performance gains while protecting pistons and valves from the high heat when engine is boosted.
It is a safety function while increasing octane level while reducing high engine knock conditions

Your forgetting the LS7 has no cylinder walls and brittle sleeves do not last long in high amount of boost.

As to fuel injector sizes, as shown below your PCM does not support over 63 lb/hr injectors and if tuner is claiming 95 lb/hr ( where the C6 ZR1 at 640 plus HP uses only 48 lb/hr with multi mode fuel pump)
I would suspect the amount of cheating going on in his tune to make it a safe engine

As to "claimed" dyno numbers, forget it, 90% plus are bogus numbers.

If using a static dyno chassis drum in most cases the drum is less then 3,000 pounds to car/driver of about 3,500 pounds means the rearwheel numbers are bloated higher then if on a load bearing dyno where the load is adjusted to equal total car/driver weight.
Add bogus weather and elevation "adjusting" and you can bet most chassis dyno results your reading are cooked up results.

At the least in claimed gains of your high boost is that the heads will lift and can take out the head gaskets so to be save either have to modify to use larger head bolts or mod the heads so that a steel ring can clamp down on head gasket to prevent it from slipping and blows out cylinders

hello there

I'm confused a little had a 06 C6Z just got all my new stuff but didn't start working on it, the problem is am planning to add more boost so should I wait until I got a new setup of pistons and rods or LS7 can handle the power rang am asking for looking forward for 800whp on stock end bottom "Pumped" had the meth kit on the Z but my tuner hate it don't know why.

car had
dual hosing meth kit + boost a pump
95 injectors
D1SC 6rib
kooks 1-7/8
off road x-pipe

the parts are waiting to install is
mast 285 CNC heads
cam
coilovers
radiator
fans and t-stat