Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I'm joe from ohio retired firefighter. to be honest I've had nothing but classic mustangs and newer gt500's. I've sold my last mustang and decided to get a z06. I've found a one owner completely stock 2007 z06 with 37,000 miles on it. I just have one question do I really need to be concerned with the head issue on these cars? I don't plan to mod it or race it just a weekend fun driver.

·
21,378 Posts
There are a lot of opinions about this. I would buy it and not worry about it. I have a 2008 with 21k miles and so far so good. My personal feeling on this issue is, if you don't drive the piss out of it, it should be fine. If the car is in good shape and the price is right, go for it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A lot of the owners that seem to have problems are the ones that have put camshafts in, that are in excess of .600" lift. If you stay stock you should be fine.
The LS7 seems to respond very well to a good tune. It's a cheap way to make the car "wake up".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you I was kinda thinking the same thing as long as I don't hammer on it I should be fine and I wouldn't anyways. it is in beautiful shape one owner with all maintenance records. he's asking 35,000

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes you will be fine. Do your intake and exhaust first. The ECM on the car will do a relearn after you make those changes. Your airflow will change but the ECM is smarter, so it will pretty much put everything back to before the changes were made. All the ads you read about increased HP are pretty much dependent on you re-tuning the car. So now you go get yourself a data logger with real world on the road driving, and send that data to the tuner, he will take that file, and make you a custom tune set to your driving habits, gas octane available, altitude, etc and fix all the areas that are not optimized, like ignition timing, AFR etc. I my case the cars injectors were maxed out at in the high 90's for duty cycle. Your leaving power on the table. Sent the injectors out had them re-flowed to 48psi and got another 30 hp and tq to the rear wheels for minimal $$ spent. You can do all of this keep you car emissions legal, and not have any drive ability problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great I'm retired and have a very reputable speed shop close by called big 3 racing in Hinkley Ohio they have worked on my gt500 in the past. so sounds like I shouldn't worry to much just a big leap when all I've ever owned is mustangs but there's just something about the look of the z06 I love.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hope you get the car bought. My family was in the Ford business from 1969 until I sold the dealership in 2011. IMO the two best performance cars for the money are the the Mustang and the Corvette. The Mustang's are quick but these cars are brutes. After you get it home be sure to post some pictures. This is a great forum, the moderators here are as knowledgeable as most the techs that work on these cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you I'm actually going to test drive it tomorrow. I've heard they can put the power down. something my gt500 could not do even with a ton of money in suspension I still couldn't keep it from spinning the tires all day long but it was a fun car to drive I'm really looking forward to driving the z06 from everything I've heard and read they are a totally different ride compared to the gt500 I can't wait. thank you for the info I will post if I get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a bit of FYI check the tires that are on the car. I just now replaced my 9 year old OE tires that were Goodyear run flats, it was like driving on marbles. Should have replaced them years ago. Anyway there is a national shortage of tires for the Z06 in !8" and !9" sizes. Michelin can supply the rears but the fronts are not available until 6/4. The non run flat Michelin Sport 4S is not anywhere. So just keep that in the back of your mind. If you drive it, and it has the OE Goodyear's on it, you are not going to hook up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thank you tires were on my list to look at someone had told me they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they are asking 36,500 for it 2007 with 33,000miles. they are checking maintenance records to see if heads were done. its all stock 2 owners. it's a dealership

·
Registered
254 Posts
First off yes run flats are expensive, ride terrible and in my opinion are not worth the extra cost. If you are worried about having a flat with no spare, then buy the run flats. I am 62 years old and I think I can remember 3 catastrophic, destroy the tire flats. Several times I have had nails, screws etc. but I could always get home or to a tire store to get them fixed.
As for the price I will stay out of that. If the car is a straight up nice car, you will know. If it's a new car dealer selling the car it will probably come with some warranty that is ok. Even if it's only 6 months or 6K that should be enough to give you some piece of mind.
The "maintenance records," unless done at that dealer and you can see the R.O. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that. I had my heads done because I was looking for more hp. If the heads were done by a good tech, he probably did not use factory head bolts. Mine were replaced with ARP bolts, and it you look at the heads and see ARP you will know the heads have been off the car at some time. If the heads were done under warranty, there will be a record of them being done, but they will only use GM head bolts not ARP. Obviously I keep using ARP on the head bolts, there are other brands you can use, but after warranty, seems like most shops like ARP.
As for the mileage the car is 14 model years old, so 2360 mile per year. Thats enough to keep all the gaskets and parts in good working order. I think cars that are not driven at all, are the cars that will get you from just rotting in the garage. That's the guy that thinks well I only drove it 2000 miles in the last 3 years, so now maybe I'll change the oil after 3 years. Bad thought. I only drive my car about 1600 miles per year and change the oil every spring.
Hope you found a nice car, follow you gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right pass. There will be more cars out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just looked at it and it is in almost perfect condition paint and body wise interior was like new. there was a scrape on lower front but dealer agreed to have it painted. dealer just put new rotors and pads all the way around and changed the oils. they did find service history just normal routine maintenance and oil changes. is a one owner car. just has aftermarket cold air intake and corsa mufflers. it does need tires. I found a full set of firestone firehawk for $1100 they agreed to put on the car. I can wait to get Michelins cause I did plan to get some new forgeline wheels. I can get the heads done and a tune at the shop near me at a great price do to knowing the owner. so they agreed to 36,500 they paint correct the front lower valance and install new tires. I just came home to think about it for an hour or two and call them to secure the deal.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quit thinking about it, you want the car buy it and don't regret you decision. Sounds like good car, and the dealer is willing to work with you. Welcome to the Z06 family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol yes I just called and confirmed the purchase they are gonna deliver it in about 10 days after it gets the paint correction on lower front and tires installed. can't wait to hit some winding roads and open it up. I have a great park system near me with little traffic and lots of winding roads and straight aways I use to take my gt500 on very relaxing and fun. thanks for all the info I will post some pics once I get it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts